US Election 2016 General Discussion Topic

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

I voted for:

Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine
No votes
Donald Trump and Mike Pence
56%
Gary Johnson Bill Weld
11%
Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka
No votes
Evan McMullin and Nathan Johnson
22%
Darrell Castle and Scott Bradley
11%
Write in or other third party
No votes

Total votes: 18

Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

The existence of the alt-right doesn't bother me (from those I've seen).

Media bias is bad when they claim to not be biased.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

You other two people who voted McMullin, please contact me with your states, if you want to help out with the states map.

Also, if anybody else lives in Tea's state, let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Can we talk about "Not my president" for a minute? Not specific to any particular election, just as a rallying cry. People used it about Obama in 2008, people are using it about Trump now, and it's really stupid. You may not vote for a certain candidate but if they win, guess what, they're your president. It doesn't matter if you supported or approve of them, they are now your president. Unless you plan to renounce your citizenship which I'm pretty sure no one is going to do. I understand what it's supposed to mean, but it just makes me shake my head.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Hey Bob, I voted for McMullin as well. \:D/

And I'm totally with you, bookworm... so dumb. The losing side always does this and it's just annoying and stupid.

In other related news, I didn't vote for Trump, but some things in his first 100 day plans were decent enough, so I was trying to give him a clean slate and be optimistic, then he chooses one of the most evil people in the world, Steve Bannon, as his top advisor, lol.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Well said, bookworm. :yes:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well, if the rumors pan out that Mitt Romney may be Secretary of State, all will be forgiven. \:D/
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I find it interesting that people associate voting for someone as a blank endorsement for that person and all he stands for. That's what grinds my gears.

That being said:

Make America Great Again.

Honestly, I don't know why, I just felt like sharing my opinion despite my common sense urging me not to.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Agreed both on Banon and Romney, my good Top.

Penguin, how are we supposed to learn where Trumpeters are coming from if they say we're calling them racist? Please understand, when we say Trump and Banon and company are racist, we are not accusing you yourself. We are trying to inform you about the type of people you support. If we are wrong, tell us why.

Yes, Breitbart is on Trump's side. That makes you feel better? Why? Shouldn't it make you feel worse? Trump appears to be rewarding good press (some of the very little he's gotten) with political power. Even if he isn't, this move shows he may continue to prioritize the extremist issues.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

^Extremist issues? Yes please!

Hate to break this, but the group of tiny anti-Trump ranters who sound like liberal Macodenian revolutionaries are affecting no change, and soon will be drowned out by positive changes in the country! After the last 8 years, there's no where to go but up!
Last edited by Dredge on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Do the Trump supporters on this thread wish to distance themselves from Steve Bannon who today compared himself favorably to Satan? "Darkness is good. Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power. It only helps us when they get it wrong. When they're blind to who we are and what we're doing." http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ce=twitter
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Penguin wrote:Media bias is bad when they claim to not be biased.
Is it okay to tell outright lies though?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... ular-vote/
Amerigo Primero wrote:After the last 8 years, there's no where to go but up!
How about another recession?
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Pound Foolish wrote:Penguin, how are we supposed to learn where Trumpeters are coming from if they say we're calling them racist? Please understand, when we say Trump and Banon and company are racist, we are not accusing you yourself. We are trying to inform you about the type of people you support. If we are wrong, tell us why.

Yes, Breitbart is on Trump's side. That makes you feel better? Why? Shouldn't it make you feel worse? Trump appears to be rewarding good press (some of the very little he's gotten) with political power. Even if he isn't, this move shows he may continue to prioritize the extremist issues.
Dr. War has told me that voting for Trump means endorsing everything about him. He's also relayed that he thinks I'm racist so when he accuses Trump of something it seems like he believes I'm all for that as well. You have never debated me so I don't know how you think. What's one little website compared to the MSM? Besides there's tons of blogs out there for and against Trump. I don't really care if a news website is for or against Trump, I think everyone has an agenda.
John Chrysostom wrote:Do the Trump supporters on this thread wish to distance themselves from Steve Bannon who today compared himself favorably to Satan? "Darkness is good. Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power. It only helps us when they get it wrong. When they're blind to who we are and what we're doing." http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ce=twitter
Nope. I think it’s great when liberals get it wrong. :wacky:
Tea Ess wrote:
Penguin wrote:Media bias is bad when they claim to not be biased.
Is it okay to tell outright lies though?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... ular-vote/
Perhaps you should read the actual article (http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... m-america/) and not an article about an article. In case you don’t want to let me point out some differences between the two.
First off, this is the title of the Washington Post’s article: “Thanks to a bad map and bizarre math, Breitbart can report that Trump won the REAL popular vote.”
This is the title of Breitbart’s article: “Donald Trump Won 7.5 Million Popular Vote Landslide in Heartland.”
I will say this, Breitbart’s title is misleading because the average person look at this and think that Trump won the actual popular vote (which he didn’t). But, Washington Post’s title is also misleading because it seems that they’re claiming Breitbart is claiming Trump won the ACTUAL popular vote, but they could be saying that Breitbart is claiming Trump won the part of the popular vote that actually matters which I think Breitbart is actually saying.
Next, this is the county map that the Washington Post claims Breitbart used:
This is the picture in Breitbart’s article:
Pretty similar to Washington Post’s correct county map:
Washington Post says Breitbart claims there’s only 3,141 counties while they say there’s actually 3,142. Big difference, right? Well, Breitbart links to this site https://www2.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9799/2971 and Washington Post links to this site https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-r ... 16-43.html. Both are .gov sites. Washington Post’s was released March 24, 2016 and Breitbart’s was last modified November 16, 2016. Which .gov site is correct? I don’t know. I stopped here in Washington Post’s because they cited data from another one of their articles and I’m too lazy to read that article.
Next, Breitbart’s article claims that Trump won the popular vote in 3,084 of 3,141. Not the popular vote that would count all counties.
Lastly, here’s a line from Breitbart’s article the Washington Post didn’t mention:
Clinton received 47.7 percent of the estimated 127.7 million votes cast nationwide, while Trump received 47.2 percent of those votes. Five percent went to other candidates.
The link to this site for their info: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/features/20 ... n-results/. The data is a bit different since Breitbart’s article was posted on Nov 15, 2016 and PBS’s site has updated since.

So, Breitbart can say they never claimed Trump won the actual popular vote and the Washington Post can say they never claimed that Breitbart claimed that Trump won. No lies here except the picture Washington Post claims Breitbart used. And however you decided how many counties there really are. Or if you look deeper into the claims of Breitbart and find they have the wrong data or something. I’m done.
Last edited by Pengwin on Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

That's not the original picture Breitbart had up. Here is a time-stamped screenshot someone took of it, which Breitbart then took down after they got called out on their blatant dishonesty.

Breitbart created a totally inaccurate picture and then conveniently defined heartland to leave out as many Clinton-majority counties as possible. It's a manipulation to create the narrative that their readers want to see.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I actually thought to myself before writing that post, "I bet he has a screenshot when they originally posted the article." My senses were correct.

They got called out?! HOW EMBARRASING, THEY ARE PROBABLY FAILING NOW HAHAHA. Wait.. what's that? Oh.. they fixed the picture.. oh. WELL THEY STILL LIED. :x
My dearest Renguin, is not fixing a picture better than keeping it and claiming they still print truth? Where's the Washington Post saying they fixed the picture?

Yes, they did conveniently define heartland to the counties where Clinton didn't win, but at least said that in the article. Though, a definition of heartland is the central or most important part of a country, area, or field of activity, the center of support for a belief or movement, or the central part of the US; the Midwest. The Midwest did vote more from Trump then Hillary based on the maps. The only manipulation is the title and the first picture that no longer is there. However, the Washington Post's title is a manipulation too.
Last edited by Pengwin on Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Chrysostom

It's clear Penguin that you don't mind echo chambers with clickbait articles as long as they agree with you.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Tea Ess wrote: How about another recession?
At least we'll know it wasn't because "Republicans didn't regulate real-estate enough" or whatever.

-- Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:08 pm --
John Chrysostom wrote:It's clear Penguin that you don't mind echo chambers with clickbait articles as long as they agree with you.
All that name-calling...

Anyway, who cares if he won the heartland as long as he won the land?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

John Chrysostom wrote:It's clear Penguin that you don't mind echo chambers with clickbait articles as long as they agree with you.
Is this your way of acknowledging that I proved Breitbart didn't print an outright lie and how the Washington Post's article isn't a technical lie either?

Clickbait titles are annoying when they actually don't have what they "advertise". In both these articles the titles are misleading, but they delivered nonetheless.

I think every news website is an echo chamber. Just depends if it's your echo chamber or not.

You also say that statement in a way that seems like I should be ashamed, but why should my views that differ from yours be shamed and your views not?
Last edited by Pengwin on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Chrysostom

I'm not saying you should be ashamed but I would say it's a bad thing to praise an echo chamber and one should do their best to avoid being in one. Breitbart did print an outright lie, as Tea Ess proved with his screenshot, you just bluffed hoping he didn't have the screenshot and were caught.

On another topic, President elect Donald Trump campaigned on Draining the Swamp, getting rid of corruption in DC. Given that what do Trump supporters in this thread think about his decision to not divest himself of his business holdings and instead have his children run the company? Just this week his daughter attended a meeting with the Japanese prime minister and Donald Trump held a meeting with Indian business partners building a Trump property south of Mumbai. Do these meetings raise concerns about blurring the line between Trump's business and his administration?
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Penguin wrote:They got called out?! HOW EMBARRASING, THEY ARE PROBABLY FAILING NOW HAHAHA. Wait.. what's that? Oh.. they fixed the picture.. oh. WELL THEY STILL LIED. :x
My dearest Renguin, is not fixing a picture better than keeping it and claiming they still print truth? Where's the Washington Post saying they fixed the picture?

Yes, they did conveniently define heartland to the counties where Clinton didn't win, but at least said that in the article. Though, a definition of heartland is the central or most important part of a country, area, or field of activity, the center of support for a belief or movement, or the central part of the US; the Midwest. The Midwest did vote more from Trump then Hillary based on the maps. The only manipulation is the title and the first picture that no longer is there. However, the Washington Post's title is a manipulation too.
It's not just a simple mistake on Breitbart's part, though. A mistake is unintentional, not opening up Microsoft Paint and deliberately creating a misleading map. Newspapers make mistakes all the time, and the legitimate ones print corrections to be transparent about any previous inaccuracies. Their readers should honestly be offended that the writer thinks so little of them.

It's true that the Washington Post article is not exactly the height of journalism, but it documents the Breitbart one well enough. The "REAL" in the title is sarcastic, and the article itself makes it clear that it means Breitbart's arbitrary definition of "heartland." There's a big difference between a sarcastic title that is clarified in the full article, and deliberately lying to readers and then covering it up.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I had a YUGE post ready to be posted, but then I decided it wasn't worth it (Even though I wanted the monies :( ). You can believe what you want to believe and I'll believe what I want to believe. Pathetic attacks on frivolous articles are just that pathetic. You can try to attack everyone and everything that supports Trump and I can choose to ignore articles that attack Trump. Oh wait is this an echo chamber? Oh well! But seriously at the end of the day only one thing matters: Trump will be President and no matter how many articles you attack for printing an inaccurate picture (and later fixing it) you can't stump the Trump. :)