US Election 2016 General Discussion Topic

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

I voted for:

Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine
No votes
Donald Trump and Mike Pence
56%
Gary Johnson Bill Weld
11%
Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka
No votes
Evan McMullin and Nathan Johnson
22%
Darrell Castle and Scott Bradley
11%
Write in or other third party
No votes

Total votes: 18

Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

Seeing as Trump wouldn't even respond to whether he would concede the election if Hillary lost, I have a very strong feeling the riots would have been much worse if he had lost. Just throwing that out there.

I also want to note, especially snubs... I think when people are ""attacking"" "Trumpeters" they are talking about Trump supporters, which is honestly someone completely different then someone who would just vote for Trump. There are people who find Trump unsavory yet still find him the better option, and there's those who find him the best man to become president of the US. I would assume you are the former, a person who just votes for Trump, but I may be incorrect. This works the same for the people on the forums who would have preferred Clinton won... they do not support her in the least, but find her less dangerous then the other option.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That's a great point. In this election possibly more uniquely than any other there is a significant distinction to make between people who voted for candidate A or B and supporters of A or B in the usual sense of the word in a usual election.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Pound Foolish wrote:
snubs wrote: I'm sorry, if to you, me being conservative means I am ill-informed, closed-minded, and sheltered.
It doesn't. Nobody has said it does. Also bear in mind, few of us are liberal. Our core beliefs, particularly abortion, are conservative.
Never said you did. This is why I said "this might sound random.." because I wasn't directing it at any one person. I was actually referring to a conversation I had in the ToO chat, and in general with a lot of Christians I run into.
Pound Foolish wrote:
snubs wrote:However, I am talking about the VAST majority of people who are so incredibly biased and bent toward Hillary (the media, in particular) it is unbelievable.
Firstly, as an avid consumers of news, I can tell you I see the NYT, Fox, NBC and company say very hard things against Hillary and cover stories that reflected poorly on her more or less daily. All publications have bias. However, It is hard to see exceptional bias in favor of her.

Secondly, that is a provably wrong statement, according to The Economist:

"An analysis by researchers at Harvard’s Kennedy School of eight mainstream outlets, including CBS, the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, found they were more critical of Mrs Clinton than any other Republican or Democratic candidate. In the first six months of last year, she was the subject of three negative statements for every positive one; Mr Trump received two accolades for every carp. “Whereas media coverage helped build up Trump,” the researchers concluded, “It helped tear down Clinton.'
I disagree.

I also disagree that you (and other people) think this election has no resemblance or relation to past elections when it comes to people's reactions. Yes, Trump (of all people) is now President-elect, and between the two candidates it was very distinctly two sided. But, I think it can still be compared to when Obama won the presidency.

@Isaiah the Ox: I agree. I think we would have had riots and violence if Trump had lost as well. And yeah, possibly worse. But still no excuse.
I also want to note, especially snubs... I think when people are ""attacking"" "Trumpeters" they are talking about Trump supporters, which is honestly someone completely different then someone who would just vote for Trump. There are people who find Trump unsavory yet still find him the better option, and there's those who find him the best man to become president of the US. I would assume you are the former, a person who just votes for Trump, but I may be incorrect. This works the same for the people on the forums who would have preferred Clinton won... they do not support her in the least, but find her less dangerous then the other option.
I am the former, but still get the backlash (though, not as much). And it doesn't really matter about me, I am tired of seeing it toward people who supported him from the beginning. From the people I've encountered, they are not racist or any of the other hateful things I've heard people say.

I find it funny that the things I've been reading around the internet, a lot of the people are not even talking about Trump, but the Republican Party (and its views/ideals) in general. So... what does that say? :roll:
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

snubs wrote:I find it funny that the things I've been reading around the internet, a lot of the people are not even talking about Trump, but the Republican Party (and its views/ideals) in general. So... what does that say?
It says that you need to read more and different sources
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

snubs wrote:Never said you did. This is why I said "this might sound random.."
'Pologies. :)
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

^^It says Repubs are running things in Washington!

-- Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am --

The fact that Hillary conceded shows she's full of it, that Trump's not actually gonna nuke the world. The other option is, she doesn't care, which could be even worse than the former option...

-- Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:27 am --

Note:

GOP doesn't control government, Eddie Cruz filibusters Obamacare, setting off a chain reaction and ultimately causing Obama to shutdown.

GOP controls government, suddenly it's time to "reach across the aisle".
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

What the actual heck? She conceded because she's a decent human being and knows when she lost, unlike Trump who flat out said he might not concede at all, that the election was "rigged."

If she hadn't conceded, you'd be up in arms about that (rightly, I would add). We live in a democratic republic, and peaceful transfer of power is absolutely crucial to the survival of the United States.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

OK, I'm passing out awards:

Best Close Campaign
2016 PA Senate Race (Toomey v. McGinty)

Biggest Blowout Campaign
2016 NY Senate Race (Schumer v. Long)

Biggest Shock
2016 Presidential Election (Trump v. Clinton)

Best Quote (By party)
"When there is no ceiling, the sky is the limit!" (Hillary Clinton-D)

"After 8 years of Obama, all we've got left in our pockets is change!" (Daryl Glen-R)
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
John Chrysostom

So I wanted to get pro-Trump people's reaction to the appointments today of Reince Pribus as his Chief of Staff and Stephen Bannon as a senior advisor, some have even said co-Chief of Staff. http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html This is of course unusual given Trump's desire to be an outsider and Reince Pribus is the current Chairmen of the GOP. Also Trump's hatred of the media and Wall Street make Bannon, a former Hollywood producer and Goldman Sachs banker, another unusual choice; further given Bannon's ties to white nationalism groups it would seem to undermine claims that Trump is trying to distance himself from groups like the KKK. But then again Bannon was the campaign CEO for Trump.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

John Chrysostom wrote:This is of course unusual given Trump's desire to be an outsider and Reince Pribus is the current Chairmen of the GOP.
Trump himself is an outsider, but is that supposed to mean everyone in his cabinet should be too? That would freak people out even more then they already are I think. There have to been some people with political experience in there, that's why the president has advisors.
John Chrysostom

I understand that but there are people with political experience besides the chairman of the GOP, quite literally the head of the establishment. Of course I think it's good to appoint people with experience I was more interested in pro-Trump people's reaction to this appointment.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Ah, this appointment in particular. Gotcha.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Love the appointments.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Why?
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Tea Ess wrote:Why?
Trump called Rience a superstar in his victory speech and I like Bannon.
John Chrysostom

Reince Pribus is the literal head of the establishment, how do you square that with Trump's rhetoric against the establishment?

Bannon is a white supremacist, a Hollywood producer, a Wall Street banker, and a media mogul; which of those do you like?
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

John Chrysostom wrote:Reince Pribus is the literal head of the establishment, how do you square that with Trump's rhetoric against the establishment?

Bannon is a white supremacist, a Hollywood producer, a Wall Street banker, and a media mogul; which of those do you like?
Seeing Reince more with Trump than Paul Ryan has been with Trump gives me hope Reince is not as establishment as you would like me to think.

I said I like Bannon. You already think I'm racist so why not call me a white supremacis, too? (i is hispanic) I have also mentioned to you people I like that you claim are awful people. Media mogul? Do you mean Breitbart? ;)
John Chrysostom

I don't have any control over how establishment Reince is, he's the head of the GOP a position that requires a lot of establishment credentials.

I never said you were a white supremacist, I said Bannon is do you think he isn't? I do mean Breitbart, is that not a media company now?
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

John Chrysostom wrote:I don't have any control over how establishment Reince is, he's the head of the GOP a position that requires a lot of establishment credentials.

I never said you were a white supremacist, I said Bannon is do you think he isn't? I do mean Breitbart, is that not a media company now?
True, son. But Trump is Trump and that is why Bannon is there.

I haven't seen anything that is white supremacist so far, but you don't have to worry your little self about backing up your statements. This is isn't a debate I can do my own research, when I'm bothered enough. I do think Breitbart is a media company, but that's a weak argument on your end since Breitbart is on Trump's side.
John Chrysostom

So Bannon's embracement of the alt-right doesn't bother you?
I do think Breitbart is a media company, but that's a weak argument on your end since Breitbart is on Trump's side.
Oh, media bias is only bad when you don't agree with it huh?