US Election 2016 General Discussion Topic

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

I voted for:

Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine
No votes
Donald Trump and Mike Pence
56%
Gary Johnson Bill Weld
11%
Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka
No votes
Evan McMullin and Nathan Johnson
22%
Darrell Castle and Scott Bradley
11%
Write in or other third party
No votes

Total votes: 18

Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

So, confirmation hearings have begun on Trump's cabinet picks. Anyone have any thoughts? Hopes for which will pass and which will be denied?

The big one for me is Rex Tillerson. I sincerely hope the Senate has the sense to reject the idea of this guy being our Secretary of State. Not only is he unqualified, but he's also very pro-Russia (he even received the Russian 'Order of Friendship' from Putin himself), which is deeply concerning to me.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Kathy0
OK

Post by Kathy0 »

Same here Woody. I don't like that idea either.

So my dad was talking about the idea of Ted Cruz as Trumps pick to takes Justice Scalia's place. I don't like the idea because he and Trump do not get along very well at all. I think that one might go against the other just to spite them. Also, he does not seem to have much bad-bone. We need someone who can say something without worrying about what other people think. And I do not mean that they should just say whatever they think of WHEN they think of it but, that they should not always care what the critics think. Anyway, that just what I think!
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Since when are presidents and Supreme Court justices suppose to get along?
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Am I the only one who looked in the February 2013 issue of National Review, Breitbart, etc., and found absolutely no calls to eliminate Fmr. President Obama?

OK, just checking.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Okay, James Comey announces he's beefing up the investigation into ties with Russia. Trump fires him. He fires the head of the FBI. He initially says it has nothing to do with the investigation, then he admits to Lester Holt that it does. Does this look bad to anybody? You guys are still sticking by your boy? This is still the man you want to get behind? Well, okay then.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Ah, I miss this topic. It's from a time when we all thought Trump would lose embarrassingly and everything would be okay...

But to PF, yes, Comey's firing is very suspicious. Even more concerning is this story that just broke. Apparently, Trump shared highly classified information with the Russians that could jeopardize a key source of intelligence on the Islamic State. This is just the first four months, folks. If Congress doesn't get a clue and impeach this guy, I'll be very disappointed.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The Doctor wrote:Ah, I miss this topic. It's from a time when we all thought Trump would lose embarrassingly and everything would be okay...

But to PF, yes, Comey's firing is very suspicious. Even more concerning is this story that just broke. Apparently, Trump shared highly classified information with the Russians that could jeopardize a key source of intelligence on the Islamic State. This is just the first four months, folks. If Congress doesn't get a clue and impeach this guy, I'll be very disappointed.
I'm not familiar with this story specifically, but isn't it great that even if you had 100% proof for 20 impeachable offenses that his supporters would just claim it was fake news and you're a liberal snowflake (regardless of your political ideology--you might just not want an incompetent President but otherwise are conservative)?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

The only thing I really watch on YouTube lately are the daily clips from Late Night hosts reporting on Trump shenanigans, and it's some of the greatest entertainment ever. I'm personally in no hurry to watch this end. \:D/

Also,

Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

The Doctor wrote:Ah, I miss this topic. It's from a time when we all thought Trump would lose embarrassingly and everything would be okay...

Why am I not suprised you believe everything the Washington Compost tells you?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Dredge wrote:Washington Compost
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

The Washington Post isn't perfect, but it's certainly more reliable than, as a totally random example, Google Docs originating on 4chan.

Also, the Washington Post was the first news source to report on this, but it's now been picked up by more of the media, including CNN and the New York Times. All of this is really more of a question of which government officials we believe, rather than individual news sources.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Tea Ess wrote:Also, the *Washington Compost was the first news source to report on this, but it's now been picked up by more of the media, including *Fake News Network and the *Failing New York Times.
fix'd.

Absolute truth just got really simple, folks.
Last edited by jelly on Tue May 16, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Happy time. We were innocent. Orange was still pretty, meeting with foreign leaders didn't mean humiliation, tick tacks were just candy, and our country had dignity.
The Doctor wrote:Even more concerning is this story that just broke.
Indeedy. That's the world we live in now. As soon as you, "Well, this is unfortunate" the other fella says, "Oh, so you haven't heard. Here's what we're all worried about now." This is very sad to me. Islamic terrorism is a subject very close to my heart and the idea of empowering them, through gordforsaken Russia of all countries, is disheartening.
If Trump got impeached, the collective sigh of relief would cause a 21% increase in carbon dioxide in the air.

@ Top, Judging by what followed your post, you should grow a beard and be a prophet.

PS It's interesting just how far Trumpeter's distrust of the news has gone. They just treat journalism as a joke, they assume they're outright lying (which would be illegal) or so stupid they get the facts wrong or I don't know. Which of course, is pretty much what Trump keeps telling people to think, so I guess people accept it.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Jog my memory... What crimes did the President commit? He has the authority to declassify anything he wants, and impeachment is actually charging someone with a crime.

I think it's only appropriate to treat liberal media as liars. After all, news is all about politics now.

-- Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 am --

If the media had not spent decades spewing spin we would not be here right now.
Last edited by Dredge on Thu May 18, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.