Supermoon tonight

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Supermoon tonight

Post by bookworm »

There's a supermoon tonight. The brightest one in 68 years. While there will be another next month, it won't be this close again until 2034. Does that make this one a super supermoon?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I thought the super moon was last night?

If it is tonight, do you know at what time it will be the biggest/brightest?
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

I guess it does make it a super supermoon.

have there been any end of the world predictions for this particular supermoon? :P
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I thought the super moon was last night?
To be honest I don't actually know for sure. I've been trying to find a definite answer on if it's happened yet or not and have seen it both ways.

When I first heard about this a couple weeks ago it said the 14th so that's what I put on my calendar, but last night I heard the football broadcast make a passing remark about the moon during the night game so I wondered if I got it wrong. Tried looking it up today and found articles that said it was last night's moon, the one that lingers past midnight into this morning so the date of the 14th was technically correct, it just meant the 14th at like 1AM not, the moon of the 14th if you know what I mean. I guess it's difficult to figure out how to express dates of things that happen overnight into another day?

But then I found additional articles saying to look at the moon "tonight" which were dated this morning, after the moon would have been down, which means they refer to the moon that will rise in a few hours. :shrugs:
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I would suppose the Superman lasts a few nights, as my local news predicted. Which makes sense if you think about the phases of the moon. It'll decrease from our perspective, it's just in its fullest stage right now. :)
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

SirWhit wrote:have there been any end of the world predictions for this particular supermoon? :P
I haven't seen any about this one (though I haven't been looking) but I'm sure there are some about the one that will be happening next month. It's going to be the third one in the last three months of the year which I don't believe is the norm. Also there's this:
NASA statement wrote:The supermoon of Dec. 14 is remarkable for a different reason. It's going to wipe out the view of the Geminid meteor shower. Bright moonlight will reduce the visibility of faint meteors five- to 10-fold, transforming the usually fantastic Geminids into an astronomical footnote. Skywatchers will be lucky to see a dozen Geminids per hour when the shower peaks.