Birthday Cake or Pie?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I suppose, but I don't see it as a must. Meaning, if you have cake, you must have ice cream.
Certainly not, the individual eater may select any combination of the available desserts or none of the above. The original point wasn't that you will always take both cake and ice cream, but that both are available to be taken should you want to. Should you not, as previously stated, it's well and good to opt for only having ice cream, but that decision has not replaced the cake with the ice cream as it was a possibility to choose to have both. You were offered ice cream and cake, both, and merely accepted the one and declined the other.

This is the understood manner of dessert serving at the vast, vast majority of birthday parties (I would estimate literally 99%) and that is why I didn't think to explicitly state it was the scenario I was envisioning because when something is that overwhelmingly pervasive it is generally assumed to be the state one envisions by default unless specified otherwise, not the other way around.

If we are planning an abnormal gathering where we are going to have a strict exclusive or situation with the three dessert options, making choosing one indeed be replacing the others, I would go pie, ice cream, cake in decreasing order of personal preference.