Birthday Cake or Pie?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bren
Be positive!

Birthday Cake or Pie?

Post by Bren »

Kinda curious. Birthday cake or birthday pie? Personally I've leaned more to pie as of late.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I'm not fond of most pies, though there is a chocolate silk pie I love. I prefer having it on my birthday over having a cake. :)
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don't like cake in general so I've had pie as long as I can recall.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

In my family (when my parents and brother were alive) we always had cake. My brother didn't like pie so I think that was the reason, don't know because I never asked. I like both so I have no preference. I don't get cake or pie like I used to unless I buy it. At one store I shop you can buy one piece servings of cake, just about any kind you want which I'm going to try one day. Or I go to Portillo's and get a piece of their chocolate cake which is very good.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
321tumbler
Tallying up

Post by 321tumbler »

I've always had cake and I don't think I've ever heard of birthday pie. Sounds yummy
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I like birthday cake because I love icing, plus it's always been our tradition. As a kid I had lots of different fun cakes that my mom made. However, last year my brother decided he wanted birthday pie, so we ate apple pie for his birthday. I like pie and will happily eat pie, but for my birthday, it's still going to be cake!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Neither. :noway: Ice cream is superior.

I only really like a few kinds of pie, and cake is blehh.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

But ice cream is already served with the cake or pie, it's not a substitute.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:But ice cream is already served with the cake or pie, it's not a substitute.
Oh ho ho, yes it is! In my book, it most certainly can replace either one. But that's just another reason why ice cream is superior, it compliments both cake and pie to make them better. \:D/
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Yeah, ice cream is fantastic just by itself. \:D/

What's your opinion of ice cream cake, snubs?
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:In my book, it most certainly can replace either one.
I mean, in the sense that you can just have it by itself yeah. But that's not the discussion we were having. In the original context it is already on the table in conjunction with the cake and/or pie. So it's non sequitur to say it should replace them because it's not bringing anything new in. It's not a replacement if it's already there, it's just opting to take one of the things on its own and decline the others.

I understand what you're saying there (and don't entirely disagree; I would have ice cream solo over having cake and ice cream on most occasions), but what you're saying is part of a completely different conversion than what was previously going on.

If we're redirecting the discussion to best dessert choice in general then yeah it's ice cream cake.

Edit:

To further clarify, ice cream would only be considered a replacement if you could only have one option from ice cream or cake or pie. In that case if you take ice cream yes it has replaced what else you might have had. But in this case ice cream is a supplement, it is going to be present with either other choice. So because the starting state is having both cake and ice cream, changing to just ice cream is not replacing the cake with ice cream because you already have the ice cream regardless. You're simply keeping it and returning the cake, it's not a replacement or substitution.

Yes I know this is just silly semantics, but if you can't debate the conceptual theory of choosing a dessert what's the fun of having the thread? :P
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Tea Ess wrote:Yeah, ice cream is fantastic just by itself. \:D/

What's your opinion of ice cream cake, snubs?
I've only tried it once a long time ago, so I can't give much of an opinion. But what I had was yummy.
bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:In my book, it most certainly can replace either one.
I mean, in the sense that you can just have it by itself yeah. But that's not the discussion we were having. In the original context it is already on the table in conjunction with the cake and/or pie.
Where was it said that the ice cream was already present? :-s Is it customary for you to always have ice cream with cake and/or pie? Because that is not a usual occurrence for me.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:Is it customary for you to always have ice cream with cake and/or pie?
If it's birthday cake or birthday pie, which the thread specifically singled out as the types we are discussing, yes it is.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:Is it customary for you to always have ice cream with cake and/or pie?
If it's birthday cake or birthday pie, which the thread specifically singled out as the types we are discussing, yes it is.
That still makes no sense to me. Just because birthday pie and cake were mentioned doesn't mean one can assume ice cream is served with it. :-s
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:That still makes no sense to me. Just because birthday pie and cake were mentioned doesn't mean one can assume ice cream is served with it. :-s
It's not an assumption, it's the way it is. At birthday parties there is cake and ice cream. I have not been to a single one in my entire life where this wasn't the case. If that is really not your experience then I would understand why we were disconnecting here, but I would also be genuinely shocked and more than a little incredulous.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:That still makes no sense to me. Just because birthday pie and cake were mentioned doesn't mean one can assume ice cream is served with it. :-s
It's not an assumption, it's the way it is. At birthday parties there is cake and ice cream. I have not been to a single one in my entire life where this wasn't the case.
Well.. you obviously never had a birthday at my house. :-

We usually only have ice cream with cake or pie on holidays, and not always for birthdays.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's understandable that it may not happen at the parties within your immediate family (even expected, as you have already indicated that to be your personal preference), but have you not been to enough third party gatherings to recognize that it is the overwhelming norm for the general population?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:It's understandable that it may not happen at the parties within your immediate family (even expected, as you have already indicated that to be your personal preference), but have you not been to enough third party gatherings to recognize that it is the overwhelming norm for the general population?
Actually, I have not. No one invites me to parties. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

But even if you haven't personally attended, you must have absorbed enough awareness from general culture to know that "cake and ice cream" is a thing.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I suppose, but I don't see it as a must. Meaning, if you have cake, you must have ice cream. Ice cream is very well all on its own. :yes: :D I also think ice cream with pie is much better than ice cream with cake.

If there is ice cream and cake laid out, I will typically just have the ice cream. Or eat them both separately. So I see it more as an either/or option when ice cream is in the mix, not necessarily a topping.