Counting on fingers

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

When I count on my fingers

My index finger is 1, thumb is 5
43%
My thumb is 1, little finger is 5
57%

Total votes: 14

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Counting on fingers

Post by bookworm »

This is a really random subject for a thread, but I really am curious about it.

When you are counting something out on your fingers do any of you count the European way by starting with the thumb instead of the index finger?
I recently noticed that I do this, but I have no idea why. I know I haven't always, and there was never an intentional effort to start, it apparently just happened at some point.

Interestingly, this only extends to the act of sequential counting. If I am indicating a pre-calculated number I do it the usual way except for one case. I always indicate one by holding up my index finger, and always indicate two and four by using it. But if I am indicating three I'll use the regular three fingers half of the time and the other half for some reason use my thumb and first two fingers.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I count both ways. Not sure which way I use more though (probably with my thumb as 1).
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I start with my thumb as well. It just feels more natural to do it that way, though perhaps that just means I was taught to do it at a young age and just don't remember.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Now that I'm consciously thinking about it, I'm actually not 100% sure how I count with my hands. I think I do it both ways, but I'm not positive.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I start off with my ring finger, skip over to my thumb, index, pinkie, and lastly - the middle finger. Now I do like complicating things, and I play piano on the regular.
If I chose to be serious, I could confess that I too, start with my thumb finger, using the European method of counting. Possibly, the traditional 'thumbs up' gesture played a role in my sequential style as legend says when I was still an infant I always had my thumb sticking above the others.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

Woahhhhhhhh On my left hand I start with the first finger but if I need two hands I continue to the right hand starting with the thumb... And I just realized this. Yeah now I understand why I'm so bad at counting *facedesks*
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
321tumbler
Tallying up

Post by 321tumbler »

I start with my index finger most of the time. Sometimes I use my thumb first. I'm not sure if there is a reason for why I change.
Kathy0
OK

Post by Kathy0 »

321tumbler wrote:I start with my index finger most of the time. Sometimes I use my thumb first. I'm not sure if there is a reason for why I change.
Same!!!
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I seem to count starting with my thumb; however, if I was to hold up one finger to show someone else, I would use my index finger.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Index finger, always.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I start with my middle finger. For some reason people get offended by that. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

jelly wrote:I start with my middle finger. For some reason people get offended by that. :(
i am offended that they are offended
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer