AI android granted citizenship

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

AI android granted citizenship

Post by bookworm »

Saudi Arabia becomes the first country to grant citizenship to a robot.
A humanoid robot took the stage at the Future Investment Initiative yesterday and had an amusing exchange with the host to the delight of hundreds of delegates.

Smartphones were held aloft as Sophia, a robot designed by Hong Kong company Hanson Robotics, gave a presentation that demonstrated her capacity for human expression.

Sophia made global headlines when she was granted Saudi citizenship, making the kingdom the first country in the world to offer its citizenship to a robot.

"I want to live and work with humans so I need to express the emotions to understand humans and build trust with people," she said in an exchange with moderator Andrew Ross Sorkin.

Asked whether robots can be self-aware, conscious and know they're robots, she said: "Well let me ask you this back, how do you know you are human?" "I want to use my artificial intelligence to help humans live a better life, like design smarter homes, build better cities of the future. I will do my best to make the world a better place," she said.

Her desire to achieve more human-like characteristics was rewarded by being granted the first Saudi citizenship for a robot.

"I am very honored and proud for this unique distinction. This is historical to be the first robot in the world to be recognized with a citizenship," Sophia said.

A panel made up of experts from some of the world’s leading companies and research institutions discussed the scope for innovations in artificial intelligence (AI), robotics, quantum computing, machine learning and mixed reality to yield the next generation of products and services, paving the way for productivity and progress in emerging economies. The session, called "Thinking machines: Summit on artificial intelligence and robotics," explored the potential uplift for businesses that harness AI and robotic technologies.

Marc Raibert, Founder & CEO of Boston Dynamics, pinpointed entertainment, security, emergency response and construction as just a few of the sectors that stand to be revolutionized by robotics.

"I happen to believe that robotics will be bigger than the Internet," he said. Ulrich Spiesshofer, CEO of ABB Group in Switzerland anticipated "the new normal in which humans and robots work together." "I think we have an exciting future in front of us" he added before conducting a demonstration of a robot solving a Rubik‘s cube in a matter of minutes.

Keynote speaker Masayoshi Son, Chairman & CEO of SoftBank Group Corp, a Japanese telecommunications and Internet company, which is working with Saudi Arabia on the development of a new business and industrial city, discussed the future of mankind in relation to AI and robots.

"Every industry will be redefined," he said, describing the "great opportunity" that lies ahead. "These computers, they will learn, they will read, they will see by themselves. That’s a scary future but anyway that’scoming," he said.

Touching on concerns that robots could eventually outsmart humans and pose a threat, he added: "They are so smart they will understand it is meaningless to attack humans." "We (will) create a new happier life together." On Tuesday Saudi Arabia announced plans to build a $500 billion mega city powered by robotics and renewables on the country’s Red Sea coast. Majid Alghaslan, a young Saudi chairing a growing company in energy services and innovative technologies said: "Saudi Arabia is in the midst of an unprecedented economic, social, and development-accelerated transformation and it’s now clear that it’s more open than ever for business, especially for dreamers, and it is all in the context of Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030.” “Innovation will be the major foundation of our transformation and this is another major factor for sustainable economic prosperity and development for the future generation of Saudis and the world."