The Eclipse

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Eclipse

Post by bookworm »

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about it yet; it's been a nationwide subject of major buzz for months.

What are your plans for August 21st?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I have no friends so I don't have any plans anymore. :(

My luck, it will be overcast that day.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

^ Definitely expecting massive cloud cover that day just because.

Where I'm at it will apparently be about 91% obscured so I'm going to take that and run instead of driving down 6 hours to SC for the total.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... pFull.html
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I apparently live in a prime viewing area. All the hotels around were already sold out months ago by people coming from all over the country to watch it here. It's crazy. People have started renting out their yards as places to watch. We could probably make some pretty good money doing that, we're out in the country with big fields we could put a lot of people in, but we don't really want so many strangers around the place. I don't think we're going to be watching from home ourselves anyway so definitely don't want people here if we're gone.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Whoa, I didn't realize that it was such a big deal that hotels book up months ahead of time and stuff like that! :shock: Hopefully lots of people will get a good view after making big plans!

As the previous paragraph has probably clued most people in to, I have no plans at this point. ;) It's one of those things that sounds cool, but I'm still content to see somebody else's awesome picture of it than to go out of my way to try to see it myself.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I just realized I work on the 21st, so it is very unlikely I will be seeing anything anyway. boo.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I think everyone will see it whether they're specifically watching or not... the day is going to turn to night right? I thought that's why it's such a big deal.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This link makes it sound a little less dramatic than that, depending on where you are at the time of the eclipse. There is a ton of info for anybody wondering about times and locations for what they might see!
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

I live in Oregon so everybody is selling cheap little glasses to view it, and the campgrounds and hotels are maxed out for that day.
Yo
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

We bought a small box of eclipse glasses and we're going to a nearby city where there will be a full eclipse. We're staying in a hotel, watching a baseball game and visiting a science museum that's doing some sort of event or something for the eclipse.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Parakeet wrote:We bought a small box of eclipse glasses and we're going to a nearby city where there will be a full eclipse. We're staying in a hotel, watching a baseball game and visiting a science museum that's doing some sort of event or something for the eclipse.
That's cool! I love baseball games.

I have relatives in Bend and we're considering staying with them for the week. I don't know if the timing would work, and the traffic will be awful, though it would be amazing, probably.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

My locale is set right in the path of totality. Our county has approximately 230,000 residents. The weekend of the eclipse will surge that to a minimum of 500,000. The vast majority of the schools have shut down due to the utter gridlock that will happen on that Monday. Where we live, people actually are renting out their porches to people around the country for sizable sums of money so people may have an unobscured view of the event. Police are now estimating that the number of people within our county may top one million.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Same here; upwards of a million people expected, authorities anticipating the freeways to be gridlocked for up to a week after and advising locals to stock up on supplies because if all those people are stuck here for days they'll run the stores dry and trucks won't be able to get through to restock.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Whoa, that is totally crazy! I knew that it was a big deal, but what bookworm and The Old Judge said still surprised me. That is a lot of people. I hope you guys get to enjoy the eclipse and that the overall hassle isn't too bad! Good for local stores etc. I guess!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'll be watching on Science Channel.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is the article that comic references. Pretty interesting.

The path of the solar eclipse is already altering real-world behavior

The upcoming solar eclipse is poised to become the "most photographed, most shared, most tweeted event in human history," in the words of one astronomer. Millions of people will watch it, potentially overwhelming the cities and towns along the eclipse's path of totality.

According to Google, interest in the eclipse has exploded nationwide in the past few months, mirroring national media attention. The county-level search data above, provided by Google, paints a striking picture: Interest in the eclipse is concentrated in the path of totality that cuts through the middle of the country, receding sharply the farther you go from that path.

The searches are an uncanny virtual reflection of the eclipse itself. Experts say the difference between a total eclipse (viewable only in the path of totality) and a partial one (everywhere else) is quite literally the difference between night and day. Web users in counties within the path of the totality are looking up information on the eclipse five to 10 times more often than those well outside, according to Google's data.

In the past week, interest was highest in rural Clark County, Idaho, which lies directly in the eclipse's path. Nearby Idaho Falls plans to hold a four-day outdoor country music festival it's calling Moonfest.

Nebraska's Pawnee and Banner counties, situated at opposite ends of the state, show the next-highest amount of interest. Banner county lies just outside the path of totality, while Pawnee is directly within it.

Rounding out the top five counties are Rabun and Towns counties in northeast Georgia, both squarely within the eclipse's path.

In the past week, people searching the Web for the event are mostly looking up basic facts — a map of the eclipse's path, its exact time and information on the special glasses you'll need to avoid burning your eyeballs while looking at it.

The physical world asserts itself in our virtual lives in myriad ways. Searches for seasonal affective disorder follow a north-south gradient, for instance, and you can use Google searches to track everything from flu season to mosquito hatchings.

The eclipse searches are perhaps the most striking example of this phenomenon yet, as millions of Americans along an invisible celestial path tap their keyboards together, unknown to one another.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Those are fascinating infographics! Thanks for sharing, bookworm.
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

GJ wrote:
I have relatives in Bend and we're considering staying with them for the week. I don't know if the timing would work, and the traffic will be awful, though it would be amazing, probably.
No way! Someone I know? I lived in Bend until March. They are expecting upwards of 80,000 people. I am actually in the car on the way home from visiting some friends there. We aren't staying for the eclipse.
Yo
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »