What tools do you use to keep track of your todo lists?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

What tools do you use to keep track of your todo lists?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Just curious: What tools do you all use to keep track of your todo lists?

Do you use multiple tools or just one?

Do you prefer to keep your lists digital, analog, or a combination? Why?

How has your system changed over time?

How do you make sure your lists remain relevant and motivating?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! :)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don't have a running todo list generally, but when I need to make one for like an agenda for a busy day where there are a lot of things I need to be sure to see to I make a list on paper while I think through the best order and timing for everything then when it's set I copy it into a note file on my phone so I can quickly check it throughout the day to make sure I'm doing everything and confirm what's left.

If there's a future todo upcoming that I know the date I'll need to look into it but is too far out to plan the details now I put it on my phone calendar. Then I see it as it approaches so I keep it in mind, and the day before I get a notification and figure out the details of working it into the agenda for the next day as described previously.
shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

Bullet journal. I keep a table of contents so I know what page everything's on. Then I just carry the thing around with me everywhere I go :) I like to put some work into the page and make it look nice. It helps me be motivated to do the stuff so that everything can be nice and checked off. It's taken me a long time to work out the system I use now, but I really like it :yes:
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, there are some organized people here! I use sticky notes most of the time. I like a physical list that I can check things off of, and they're easy to stick on my desk or wherever. I've even been known to place a sticky note list on the back of my phone. \:D/
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

@bookworm Sounds like you have a good system going. :) I like the idea of setting up notifications to remind you of something you need to add to a day's agenda.

@shnoodlec I never really got the whole bullet journal thing. Could you go into a little more detail about how you've set up yours?

@Catspaw Sticky notes! That's awesome. That's a great way to make sure your priorities stay in sight, and hopefully in mind. :anxious:
shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

NatetheGreat wrote: @shnoodlec I never really got the whole bullet journal thing. Could you go into a little more detail about how you've set up yours?
Sure! :) This might seem overcomplicated, but I'm the kind who loves making up codes and stuff so it's like a game for me. :D I spend about five minutes on it in the morning and five minutes in the evening so it really doesn't take up that much time.
I make a list for each week and/or day and write down everything I need to get done. I use the same list for "life stuff" and "school stuff," so I underline the latter. Next to tasks I put squares, next to events I put circles, and next to things I need to buy I put triangles. When something is complete, I fill in the shape. If I don't complete it and it's migrated to the next day, I put an arrow in it. If I end up not needing to do the task, I put an x in the shape. I'll use a simple version of my list from a couple days ago. In the morning it looked like this:
-▢ Bring Wacom to school
-▢ Finish reading Things Fall Apart for English
-▢ Respond to Tori's email
-O Yearbook club meeting
-O Brownie troop meeting
-O Braces tightened
-△ Graham crackers/marshmallows for Brownies
-△ DS game for Savannah's birthday
-△ White-out
And at the end of the day it looked like this:
-☒ Bring Wacom to school (friend brought his at last minute)
-[>]Finish reading Things Fall Apart for English (-> tomorrow night)
-⬛Respond to Tori's email
-Ⓧ Yearbook club meeting (canceled due to lockdown drill)
-⬤ Brownie troop meeting
-⬤ Braces tightened
-▲ Graham crackers/marshmallows for Brownies
-▲DS game for Savannah's birthday
-▲ White-out
It obviously doesn't work for everyone, but I've really struggled with procrastination and motivation in the past and this kinda helps me deal with that. I might upload pictures some time if you wanna see what the pages look like. :)
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh my, that makes my sticky notes look pretty sloppy! :thud: I'm too lazy to take on a system like that, but I can see how that would really help with organization to get things done.