2018 Spelling Bee is Upon Us

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

2018 Spelling Bee is Upon Us

Post by Knight Fisher »

Finals are this Thursday. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Thanks for the reminder!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

This one wasn't a tie. \:D/

Interestingly 3 of the final 4 were from the DFW area of Texas.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I heard they made a new rule this year to stop having ties. Didn't need it this time though.

It was another new rule that came into play here. The kid that won wouldn't have been eligible before because he didn't win his local competition, but this year they added some kind of wildcard thing that let him in.

Edit:

More info on the situation. Apparently the person he beat in the final was the one who beat him in the county bee? That doesn't seem right.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I actually love the addition of the RSVBEE program. At it's heart the spelling bee is not a competition against other people. It's the speller vs the dictionary. All RSVBEE does is allow more (Nearly double!) the number of kids to get a completely even shot in DC. Before this say you lived in the same region as Vanya Shivashankar and her sister. For a whole decade there wasn't even a reason to go compete at the local. You just didn't have a chance.

The other nice side effect is that it allows more people with National Stage experience to get there. So many first timers just go down immediately once the lights are on and they're being broadcast on national tv. This should really help to increase the level of competition at the national stage.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I heard about this on the radio this morning and figured there would be some discussion on the ToO! :D It's neat that somebody was able to win in a less conventional way. These kids are amazing!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm not saying in the long run it's a bad change, it's just weird here in the first year since it's brand new. And especially since it happened to end up being him and her in the end, it's like wait a minute until this very year you wouldn't be here right now, specifically because of her, now you go on and beat her with your brand new second chance. It's just an odd situation, as any adjustment to a long established procedure is at first.