ToO Fantasy Football - Eight Straight Years!

Welcome to the 8th year of ToO Fantasy Football!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This is a matter that should be decided based on consensus, so I will go with the majority opinion. Personally, I agree with KF and Laura. We have never allowed this sort of correction and I don't think it would be fair to arbirtrarily decide that this instance is an exception - especially if that would mean GIA would lose out on a spot in the championship that he has earned. Frankly, this game is about putting together a lineup that can defeat the 9 roster spots that your opponent puts forward. If they fail to fill a spot, have a player get cut, or start a guy listed as Doubtful who does not end up playing, you gain a rightful advantage. In my opinion, that's just part of the nature of the game.

E II, I definitely feel for you! It sounds like work wasn't kind. You have absolutely had an amazing season either way.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

I agree with Bookworm. He should be given a second chance.
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:That would put a giant asterisk on the season.
Not doing it puts a bigger one I think.
American Eagle wrote:If they fail to fill a spot, have a player get cut, or start a guy listed as Doubtful who does not end up playing, you gain a rightful advantage. In my opinion, that's just part of the nature of the game.
I absolutely agree; but that's not what happened here.

I'm not going to push the issue much further because I absolutely understand the reservations, but I have to make the case because of how specific the timing of this particular situation is, which is what makes it such an injustice.

Point 1) There's no doubt if someone decides to risk sticking with a questionable player and they end up not playing that's the way it goes. Same even if a player is unexpectedly scratched without warning. But here, it was known in advance that the players were out this week. Obviously he's going to change them.

Point 2) It's not a situation where he didn't get around to doing anything and I'm suggesting we pick a new player for him, that would be out of line. He did pick up the replacement he wanted, the switch just wasn't made in time.

Point 3) The most significant: The actual timing of what happened should have allowed the change. The only reason he didn't make the switch is Newton got locked in the lineup once the Panther game started. The QB he wanted to switch to was still moveable, he didn't play until a late game. The only thing preventing the move was Newton, who was not playing, nonsensically becoming immoveable. And it was literally less than an hour after he locked that Eugene noticed the 'mistake' (not really a mistake since again, he did have the replacement ready to play.)

The last one is the key here, and is what is driving me absolutely crazy about this. This isn't even a case of the replacement QB also being locked at the time and I'm saying we should switch them anyway, that would be borderline, I would hesitate to approve something like that myself. But here, the replacement player was not locked. If Newton had been on the bench, or the QB slot was otherwise open or still setable, Eugene would have been able to move the backup in at the time he attempted to, and in fact for up to several hours later, because the specific player he had didn't play yet. The entire situation hinges on the question of why Newton wasn't moveable.

It has honestly always confused and frustrated me, just from a logic standpoint, that an out player gets locked with their team, I've just never brought it up before because there hasn't been a real reason to until now. Now that's it's had an actual effect on something so significant I'm genuinely sick over this.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

A failure to pick a replacement player in time is a failure to pick a replacement player at all. Intent to make a change does not count for anything in fantasy sports.

Further, disagreeing with the timing of when benched/injured players lock in is a matter that needs to be taken up with ESPN. And the entire fantasy sports world. This is how our lineups have worked for eight years without incident. It's unfortunate for one party in this case, but beneficial for another. That's how the chips fall.

There's no asterisk needed here. We all have played by the same rules. One player made a mistake to their own detriment. I feel for E II, but stand by the position that no change is warranted here.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

An asterisk denotes there is context that may be important to consider a statement in light of. If Eugene's score next week would have won the trophy I think it's pretty darn important to acknowledge he should have been in the final.

I agree intent doesn't count for anything, but there was more than intent here there was attempt. And the player he tried to play was playable.

What's killing me about this is how specific the circumstances were to allow for a reasonable case for a manual override. It would take an incredibly narrow criteria to make that even a consideration, you know me I'm all about following protocol. But somehow we found ourselves in that narrow area. If any little thing about this had played out differently I'm undoubtedly on the I feel for you but it's the way it goes side too.

It would be an easy, though disappointing, let the call on the field stand if it was someone who has a record of going inactive, had never picked up a backup player, had a backup player that also locked when Newton did, hadn't tried to change at any time, or only noticed the issue after the scores were in. There's no way you intervene in any of those situations. But Eugene never missed a week, he knows he's in the playoff you know he'll be by to set the roster, did have a new QB because he knew he needed one, and was online to play that QB while he was playable. It is such a bizarre timeline that the only thing that prevented to swap was the other player being locked, under questionable circumstances, and even that was not even in affect for a full hour when the change was attempted.

I didn't expect my request to be approved, and I'm not belaboring the point in attempt to change minds, I'm trying to find personal acceptance of what happened here. This is legitimately the most upsetting event in our whole time playing together, which makes it even worse because this is such a great thing we do.

At this point I have to hope that Eugene's team doesn't put up numbers that would have won the championship so this becomes moot (the specific situation here anyway, the frustration over out players locking in general would remain) because I really don't know how I'll have the same enthusiasm about this going forward if there is going to be this significant cloud over the end of this season forever after. A season that, again, until now had been one of our best yet even despite an incredibly disappointing year for my team personally.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Things happen. Laura was 1 receiving yard in week 15 short of being in the championship this week. That's the nature of the game.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That doesn't really work as a counterexample because it's the general basis for what I was expressing. My entire issue with comprehending this is when a player plays whatever he scores is what it is, of course, but Eugene was prevented from playing a player that hadn't yet played by being stuck 'playing' a player that didn't play.

"Things happen" is absolutely the tagline of fantasy football. Never been disputing that. I've had more than my share of relatively comparable incidents over the years. One time I had a player I needed to change out and although I submitted the move in time for it to go through my internet dropped right after and apparently the packets didn't make it out because by the time I was back online my roster was locked, and the change had not been made.

If you don't recognize or care about the distinct difference of what happened here that's fine. I envy you in fact. If you can pass this incident off as being in the same category of the countless other "stuff happens" moments we've had then good for you. Personally I can't right now. Hopefully some day I'll get there.

If Eugene hadn't shown activity until like 8pm and then said 'Oops, look what I did' I could easily say that's tough but too bad. If his replacement QB had been anyone playing at the same time as the Panthers and he came on and said he couldn't change I could say it's a major bummer this happened at such a crucial time, but both players are locked now so it is what it is. But the particular detail that the specific player he tried to change to was completely eligible to be played at the time he tried to play him, that's what I can't get over.

I'm not asking that you understand or agree with why I'm so hung up on this, I just had to acknowledge that I am. It's really eaten me up in person, so I couldn't in good conscience act like I shrugged it off in the online record.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I appreciate you taking the time to write out your thoughts, bookworm. I read every word. You reasons for advocating for a deeper review here are commendable. Personally, though, I still feel that no action is warranted.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

We haven't had enough live chats this season folks! It adds a whole new layer of fun to react to player performances in real time with others, let's make an effort to take advantage of this final opportunity of the year. All the remaining games are on the same day, please whoever is able drop by #NFL in the Chatroom! I will try to be in there as often as I can Sunday!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Looks like Almanzo will be repeating as champion. \:D/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

A repeat doesn't actually intrinsically mean anything since each season is a complete reset independent of anything that has happened in the past. I don't mean to diminish this moment at all, just noting this since it's natural to think something being back to back must be extra special when in reality this is no more significant than any other win. It is just as significant as any other win though, and congratulations are certainly due! :)

There's no doubt he deserved it, over the course of this season the Cheeseheads put together one of the most well rounded rosters I have ever seen! Very impressive job by the front office. His final lineup was so solid that even when two players were announced as late scratches and changed to inactive he was still projected to win by double digits before even switching those zeroes for backups. That's insane. And after he did make the swaps the players he changed to ended up having even better performances than his original choices were originally projected to have. His team had true depth, and that's what gets you wins.

I do claim some credit. The moment that really solidified his success this year was the week he picked up Mahomes. That week I had actually placed that claim as well, and would have gotten it since I was ahead in the waiver order, but at the last minute I decided to cancel the claim. I wasn't going to play Mahomes, I was picking him up to be my backup, so I decided to be generous and leave him available for anyone who may be wanting to actually start him. We see how that turned out. :P
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I love reading your analysis and thoughts, bookworm. ^_^ Would you be willing to update the historical standings graphic?

As announced, Almanzo is the ToO's 2018 Fantasy Football champion! \:D/

Almanzo has now won the championship two out of the three years he has played.
  1. Final Standings (change from last year in parenthesis)
  2. (--) Mr Cheesehead (Almanzo)
  3. (+5) Seattle King's (godisawesomeness99)
  4. (+3) Texas Staleys (Knight Fisher)
  5. (+4) Bench Coolers (E II)
  6. (-2) Winoka Warriors (Laura Ingalls)
  7. (-1) Blitzing Bookworms (bookworm)
  8. (-5) American Eagles (American Eagle)
  9. (NEW) Sonic the Hedgehogs (Monty_Whittaker)
Thanks for playing, everyone!I hope to see you all again next season!! \:D/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Sure, I'll do that as soon as I can.

Also watch for details of whatever postseason game I can find to set up for us!

Edit:

Went with the one we usually do, it's still the best option I'm able to find even though it's not exactly what I want.

NFL Playoff Challenge password: thetoo

Join up by Saturday!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Aaaaaand our updated standings after 2018! Thanks, bookworm.

Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

Good season, everyone!
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

reserving a post for the final couple weeks recaps, if I still need one, or else the season recap.

Will be writing / editing in all of these as soon as possible, but no promises on when that ends up being