Full-size, Functional LEGO Technic Bugatti

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Full-size, Functional LEGO Technic Bugatti

Post by NatetheGreat »

This is really cool: A team at LEGO built a full-size Bugatti that actually drives. There are some non-LEGO parts, but apparently over 90% of the car is built out of actual LEGO. It's even powered by LEGO motors. :shock:

But, when I say it drives, it drives at a very leisurely pace. :lol:

There are a couple videos on the page, I enjoyed watching both of them.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That is totally crazy! Wow, what a project. I admire the dedication of people who do stuff like that. It looks really cool.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Impressive! I wouldn't have thought it could support the weight.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Catspaw: Totally!

Bookworm: I know, right? I'm guessing that part of the 10% non-lego parts included some type of stripped-down chassis....
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

I wonder how much that set would cost...
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Old Brad wrote:I wonder how much that set would cost...
These are the most expensive LEGO Technic sets listed on the LEGO store website.

I arbitrarily decided to use the first six for my calculations: this, this, this, this, this, and this. Several of these sets seem to include one or more motors.

Together, these six sets cost $1,509.94.

Together, they include 15,617 pieces.

Divided, that comes to 9.67 cents per piece, which is pretty close to my usual rule-of-thumb of 10 cents per piece for a new set.

The Bugatti page states that the finished build includes "Over 1,000,000 LEGO Technic elements in total."

At the rate I figured, that means you'd pay $96,685.66 if you bought that build at retail prices, not counting the non-LEGO components like the wheels and chassis.

Hopefully you can get a bulk discount. But even if you can't, at $2.6 million for the real car, it's probably still a good deal. ;)