Same ballot removes and reelects mayor

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Same ballot removes and reelects mayor

Post by bookworm »

I came across this bizarre incident out of Massachusetts. The article goes on to compare the situation to the Brexit conundrum, you can read that if you want at the link, but this first part is what I found really interesting.
Fall River’s saga began in October, when its then-26-year-old mayor, Jasiel Correia, was arrested on charges of defrauding investors and falsifying tax returns. He had raised funding to develop a marketing app called SnoOwl but, according to prosecutors, instead spent $230,000 of investors’ money on jewelry, clothes, a Mercedes and his successful mayoral campaign.

Mr. Correia contested the charges and refused to step down. So some citizens of Fall River got enough signatures to force a recall election, which was held on Tuesday.

The recall election was an absolute walloping for the mayor. About 61 percent voted to remove him from office. Only 4,911 people, or 38 percent, voted to keep him in office. It was a clear popular mandate.

But there was a twist. The ballot had two questions: one on whether to recall Mr. Correia, and another on whom to replace him with. Five people ran to fill the mayor’s seat — Mr. Correia among them.

It might seem like the height of hubris for a mayor under federal indictment to run for re-election even as he is being recalled. But whether he knew it or not, he was onto something.

Mr. Correia received 4,808 votes in the balloting on who should be the next mayor — almost exactly the number he had gotten on the recall question. But with the other four candidates splitting the rest of the vote, that was enough to put him ahead.

Yes, that’s right: The same election that removed Mr. Correia by a nearly two-to-one ratio also returned him to office.

Democracy can be a strange system sometimes.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Whoa, that is super weird! I think I would be quite unhappy if I lived in that town! What a mess. Maybe he'll do better his second time around? ; )
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

That is certainly a strange occurrence. It reminds of this meme:
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I'm still trying to comprehend how this even works... :-k
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: