Horse Racing 2019

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Horse Racing 2019

Post by bookworm »

It's that time of year again! Image

Discuss developments in the new season of races here!
As usual I plan to live chat each of the jewel races and the finale in the main Chatroom channel #aio if anyone else is watching them and wants to come by. All are on NBC.

Image Kentucky Derby - May 4thImageImage Preakness Stakes - May 18thImageImage Belmont Stakes - June 8thImageImage Breeder's Cup - November 2nd

Previous years: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, earlier
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Since I'll be on the chat anyway until 6 that day, I'll probably stick around for the Kentucky Derby as well. I will be cheering for Gray Magician based on the name alone. \:D/
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't watch any horse racing, but I turned on the hockey game tonight and heard that the Kentucky Derby was the reason for the delay in starting the Columbus/Boston game, so I guess it touched my life a bit. ;)
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Country Horse won, boo. :noway:
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

So I read something somewhere about how a horse was disqualified. :-s Is that true? I didn't even know that could happen. I hope the rest of the races go well!
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Apparently it took 22 minutes of review time to decide on the DQ, which seems pretty crazy. If it takes that long to decide, it can't be that egregious of an issue, can it? That's how I feel about NHL reviews too. If it takes 5 minutes to decide if the play was offside, it can't be that offside!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jehoshaphat wrote:So I read something somewhere about how a horse was disqualified. :-s Is that true? I didn't even know that could happen.
First time it every happened at the Derby! It was a very strange situation and the tv broadcast didn't do a great job clearing it up because it sounded like the objection was about Country House (the eventual winner) being impeded by Maximum Security (the original winner) or else he would have won and the DQ was fixing that, but that wasn't what happened at all. Country House never claimed they were impeded, they simply posted the objection because there was impedance. There was never a question about whether they were directly affected by any of it and if it cost them the race, all that mattered was did Maximum Security impede anyone, and he unquestionably did, so he was disqualified and everyone moved up a place and Country House happened to win after that because he had finished in second. So he ends up being the beneficiary, but just because of how the repositioning worked out in the end, it wasn't directly related to the objection.

It was the right decision. I definitely understand the outcry, Maximum Security was without doubt the best horse in the field and no one he impeded was challenging for the win, but that doesn't matter. What matters is he definitely did impede, and you can't do that. It's a significant safety hazard. Unfortunate circumstances, but that call has to be made even (actually, especially) on this biggest stage. Unpopular and disappointing outcome, but the correct outcome.

The big story that got lost in all the controversy is this ended up being a major upset result - Country House was the second longest shot to ever win the Derby!

Live reaction from the Chatroom of everything playing out:
#aio wrote:15:48 <bookworm>: Kentucky Derby live chat!
15:49 <bookworm>: Bob Baffert can tie the record for wins!
15:49 <bookworm>: He has three horses running!
15:49 <bookworm>: Big field this year
15:49 <bookworm>: 19!
15:51 <bookworm>: They're off!
15:52 <bookworm>: Very muddy!
15:53 <bookworm>: That is a lot of horses!
15:55 <bookworm>: Maximum Security wins
15:58 <bookworm>: Uh oh
15:58 <bookworm>: An objection has been posted
15:59 <JamesGryphon>: Why?
15:59 <bookworm>: Possible impedance
16:00 <bookworm>: I guess he made contact coming off the rail
16:00 <bookworm>: That's what they're replaying
16:01 <bookworm>: This is interesting
16:01 <bookworm>: I've never seen the process before
16:01 <bookworm>: They're reviewing the video in a replay room
16:01 <bookworm>: Meanwhile the jockies get on a phone to give statements
16:02 <JamesGryphon>: I mean, what do they do if they did make contact?
16:02 <JamesGryphon>: I don't guess they're going to run the race again.
16:03 <bookworm>: No
16:03 <bookworm>: The winner will be disqualified and everyone else moves up a spot
16:04 <bookworm>: Still talking it over
16:04 <bookworm>: Boy
16:04 <JamesGryphon>: Well, they want to take their time and be sure they get it right.
16:05 <bookworm>: Yeah for sure
16:05 <JamesGryphon>: It'll be a big deal regardless, but all the more if they miss the call.
16:05 <bookworm>: They're explaining the replay more and I see what they're looking at now
16:05 <bookworm>: He definitely moved over a full lane
16:05 <bookworm>: Multiple actually
16:05 <bookworm>: Slowed the horse he blocked into another one
16:06 <bookworm>: The one that ended in second is who posted the objection
16:07 <bookworm>: Yeah I see it
16:07 <bookworm>: The second place is making a move around the outside
16:07 <bookworm>: Horse in first moves over which impedes the one next to him
16:07 <bookworm>: And that horse is who actually impedes the one making the run, as a result
16:10 <bookworm>: Come on
16:10 <bookworm>: TV guy trying to start some drama
16:10 <bookworm>: "You think there should be a disqualification and you should be the winner"
16:11 <bookworm>: "The stewards will decide that, they're going to take a good look at it"
16:11 <bookworm>: "But you think you should win this race"
16:11 <bookworm>: "The stewards will take a hard look and make that decision"
16:12 <bookworm>: "But you think that should be a disqualification"
16:12 <bookworm>: "The stewards have to look at that"
16:12 <bookworm>: Come on man
16:13 <JamesGryphon>: Yeah, baiting players with controversy is old hat.
16:13 <JamesGryphon>: I'm surprised that the interviewer is so persistent when the guy's obviously on to him, though.
16:13 <bookworm>: Yeah
16:14 <JamesGryphon>: That's why you can't get athletes to give good answers anymore, because they're always trying to pounce on what you said and make hay out of it.
16:14 <JamesGryphon>: ("they" being the media)
16:15 <bookworm>: Looks like they're ready to announce
16:16 <bookworm>: Country House wins!!
16:16 <bookworm>: Wow!
16:16 <JamesGryphon>: So there's a DQ?
16:16 <bookworm>: First time in Derby history the winner was disqualified
16:16 <bookworm>: There have been objections before
16:16 <bookworm>: None successful
16:17 <JamesGryphon>: So that's pretty big news.
16:17 <JamesGryphon>: Wonder what the backlash'll be like. ;)
16:18 <bookworm>: Oh they showed another angle just now
16:18 <bookworm>: I think this is actually a good call
16:18 <bookworm>: Clearly significant interference
16:21 <bookworm>: Wow!
16:21 <bookworm>: So this is even bigger because what that means
16:21 <bookworm>: Is it was an upset victory!
16:21 <bookworm>: Country House is the second longest shot to ever win the Derby!
16:22 <bookworm>: I didn't even notice that part
16:22 <bookworm>: I thought if he was there in position to win he must have been one of the favorites
16:22 <bookworm>: But no!
16:22 <bookworm>: 65-1!
16:22 <bookworm>: My goodness
16:25 <bookworm>: Ok interesting
16:26 <bookworm>: It seems the objection was not actually claiming that Country House would have won if he wasn't bumped by War of Will
16:28 <bookworm>: It was simply that Maximum Security impeded War of Will
16:28 <bookworm>: Because Country House finished second, after the DQ he just moves up
16:28 <bookworm>: But not directly because of the original interference
16:29 <bookworm>: Lots of booing at the trophy presentation
16:31 <bookworm>: Will be interesting to see what happens from here, with both horses
16:31 <bookworm>: Lots of what ifs coming up depending on how the rest of the jewel races go

Catspaw wrote:Apparently it took 22 minutes of review time to decide on the DQ, which seems pretty crazy. If it takes that long to decide, it can't be that egregious of an issue, can it?
It took so long because a DQ would be unprecedented in this race. The interference was clear, they just had to make sure of what the appropriate response was. It had huge implications either way they went with it.

As mentioned above, the controversy came because Maximum Security was definitely the best horse in the race, and the horses he impeded weren't going to win whether that had happened or not. Also because the horse that ended up winning was barely involved in any of that at all, he just won because he got moved from second to first. But none of that matters, the only question was did he severely impede and without question he definitely did. Did it affect the ultimate outcome of the race, no it didn't, but that doesn't mean you let it go. Again, the tv did a poor job explaining what the situation actually was, causing misunderstandings that I think spurred a bigger uproar than there would have been if everyone understood what was really going on. This article has a good explanation of what the objection was actually about, who posted it and why, and why the decision was made the way it was.
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

So I did watch the derby, but then as soon as it was over I jumped in the shower so I missed /all/ the deliberation, but the Belmont's today, so don't forget to turn your TVs on, and let's hope it goes smoother \:D/
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The oddities continue at the Preakness! A jockey gets bucked off immediately out of the gate and the riderless horse continues around the track for the rest of the race! (And some time after.) The winner ends up being the horse that was at the center of the Derby DQ drama! What a crazy race season!

Chat transcript:
#aio wrote:15:28 <bookworm>: Preakness Live Chat!
15:29 <bookworm>: Already know there won't be a Triple Crown this year, unfortunately
15:29 <bookworm>: First time since 1996 the Derby winner isn't running in the Preakness
15:29 <bookworm>: (illness)
15:30 <bookworm>: The Derby DQ isn't here either though. That decision will be interesting if their win eventually gets returned by their lawsuit
15:31 <JamesGryphon>: Should've figured there'd be a lawsuit, but that's annoying.
15:31 <bookworm>: Connie do you have it on?
15:31 <bookworm>: They went with a lawsuit because an appeal wasn't allowed
15:31 <JamesGryphon>: I mean, are the referees' decisions official or are they not?
15:32 <bookworm>: The lawsuit, I believe, is that the appeal wasn't allowed
15:32 <bookworm>: Not over the actual disqualification
15:32 <JamesGryphon>: Meh.
15:32 <JamesGryphon>: So they're whining about not being allowed to whine.
15:32 <bookworm>: yeah
15:32 <JamesGryphon>: That's probably a harsh way of putting it.
15:32 <JamesGryphon>: It just seems like if you play in a sport, you have to be willing to accept the rules.
15:32 <JamesGryphon>: Sometimes the officials will make a call you don't agree with, but that's life.
15:33 <bookworm>: I get it's really rough, but it was the right decision
15:33 <bookworm>: He moved over a full three lanes
15:34 <bookworm>: The reason there's so much controversy is the new winner wasn't directly involved in that
15:34 <bookworm>: But that was never what the deal was about
15:34 <bookworm>: The tv explained it poorly
15:34 <bookworm>: All the stewards were looking at was is the interference big enough to warrant dq
15:34 <bookworm>: Yes it was
15:34 <bookworm>: Then everyone moves up
15:34 <bookworm>: Would have been better if the horse he hit had been the second place that then won
15:35 <bookworm>: People wouldn't have such a problem with it
15:34 <bookworm>: Oh well
15:35 <bookworm>: With no Derby winner going today though I can root for the Baffert horse
15:35 <bookworm>: Again
15:36 <bookworm>: Don't usually get to do it two races in a row
15:36 <bookworm>: Except those two Triple Crown years
15:39 <bookworm>: All three of his horses in the Derby were in the favorites, but not one finished in the money
15:39 <bookworm>: :(
15:39 <bookworm>: He only brought one here
15:40 <bookworm>: The favorite today
15:40 <bookworm>: Mike Smith back as the jockey
15:40 <bookworm>: legendary combo
15:47 <bookworm>: Riders up!
15:51 <Connie>: Is the preakness still on
15:51 <bookworm>: About to start!
15:51 <bookworm>: Going to the gate right now!
15:55 <Connie>: OK tell me who wins I have to do stuffs so i cant watch
16:00 <bookworm>: In the gate!
16:01 <bookworm>: They're off!
16:02 <bookworm>: Woah!
16:02 <bookworm>: Jockey down!
16:02 <bookworm>: Never seen that before
16:02 <bookworm>: The horse is still going around
16:02 <JamesGryphon>: Can the horse win without the rider?
16:03 <JamesGryphon>: Hypothetically speaking.
16:03 <bookworm>: That's a great question
16:03 <bookworm>: It would never happen
16:03 <bookworm>: But is it even possible?
16:04 <JamesGryphon>: Apparently it's a DQ. Too bad.
16:04 <JamesGryphon>: Although apparently there is one race in Italy where the horse that crosses first wins, with or without a rider.
16:04 <bookworm>: War of Will!
16:04 <bookworm>: He was in the middle of everything at the Derby
16:04 <bookworm>: Good for him
16:05 <bookworm>: The loose horse is still going around
16:07 <bookworm>: Inquiry is up
16:07 <bookworm>: They're looking at whether the jockey had a hold when the gate opened
16:07 <bookworm>: Or if it's a nonstarter or whatever it's called
16:07 <bookworm>: He was bucked immediately
16:07 <JamesGryphon>: Hmm, what difference does it make? It's disqualified anyway.
16:07 <bookworm>: Won't affect the race outcome
16:07 <bookworm>: Just whether they refund tickets bet on that one
16:08 <bookworm>: If he fell after the start it's a dq
16:08 <bookworm>: If he was loose while the gate opened he never officially raced
16:08 <bookworm>: I guess
16:09 <bookworm>: Inquiry is down
16:09 <bookworm>: Not sure what the decision was
16:09 <bookworm>: This had a really weird feeling from the start
16:09 <bookworm>: One of the horses took a few tries to go in the gate
16:09 <bookworm>: Upset the rythm of the loading
16:09 <bookworm>: Then Improbable was really bucking around a few seconds before the gate opened
16:09 <bookworm>: Looked like he was trying to false start
16:10 <bookworm>: Then the fall right at the start
16:10 <bookworm>: Something was weird
16:11 <bookworm>: Improbable finishes 6th
16:11 <bookworm>: Didn't have a good start
16:11 <bookworm>: Wasn't recovered from whatever he was doing in there before the gate opened
16:11 <bookworm>: And the loose horse really prevented anyone who planned to break on the outside from doing anything
16:12 <bookworm>: Kind of surprised there wasn't a longer discussion about it
16:15 <bookworm>: Boy, we still get a what-if even though neither Derby winner was here
16:15 <bookworm>: War of Will was the one that was interfered with spurring the objection
16:16 <bookworm>: What would he have done in a clean Derby?
16:16 <bookworm>: Could this have been 2 of 3 for him?