peanut butter and pickle sandwiches

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

peanut butter and pickle sandwiches

Post by bookworm »

It's funny that Top just posted about this subject, because I have been meaning to make a thread about this for several months.

I want to know who else has had a peanut butter and pickle sandwich, whether you liked it, and where you got the idea to try it.

I have eaten these all my life. They were introduced to me by my dad, when I was little they were a regular item in the snack rotation that he would make for me, and I still frequently make them to this day. Because they were always treated as a normal thing I never thought it was weird, and never considered that anyone would think it was a strange combination. I went through my life never giving them a second thought, until just a few years ago when I was watching a Brady Bunch episode and they mention making a peanut butter and pickle sandwich and the laugh track played. I thought 'Wait, that's a joke?' I was legitimately taken aback, 'Is this not something other people do?' I had no idea 'normal' people would think it was strange because it had always been normal to me. After I had that realization I was like, well of course it's an odd combination I should have realized that, but because it had never been presented as something out of the ordinary to me I had never given it any real thought before.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, my mom would just make them for me for lunch like any other sandwich when I was a little kid, I didn't realize anything was weird about it until elementary school when I would bring one for lunch and people were SHOCKED and APPALLED!

I wouldn't say I have them on a regular basis to this day, but every now and then I'll make one for lunch. I had one today for the first time in years before this topic even existed! \:D/

I also have a weird vague memory of a sandwich with peanut butter and mayo (or Miracle Whip?) as a kid, maybe something else on it, but I dunno I don't think that has stuck in my memory as well. I want to say with banana on it? Definitely wasn't something I had a lot or stuck with to this day.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

As a kid my mom made us rolled up Cheez Whiz and pickle sandwiches, but never peanut butter and pickle. Normally I would reject it as weird, but since peanut butter on a burger worked out so well, I have to try this too!

Is there a certain type of pickle that works best?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Only use regular dill pickles, no weird spices or extra flavors. And it has to be a good crunchy kind, soft pickles would make it gross.

Depending on the size (around) you should cut them length wise when you lay them on. I only leave them whole if I use those really tiny baby dills, then I just line them up. But with regular size pickles you probably only need one per sandwich, cut it into three or four slices.

Oh, and the bread should be toasted. You're looking for a nice blend of textures from the crunch of the pickles and the crisp toast.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

That probably makes them better, I just put creamy peanut butter on whatever random bread was on sale and use the same pickles that are already sliced for hamburgers.

But I would definitely go with dill and not bread and butter or anything too exotic. I saw apple cinnamon pickles the other day. >_>
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't like super toasted bread (too crunchy) but I do lightly toast bread sometimes. I wouldn't have thought to do that. I like how I'm getting all the expert advise before making my foray into this delicacy! \:D/

Apple cinnamon pickles?! That is weird.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:I like how I'm getting all the expert advise before making my foray into this delicacy! \:D/
Yeah, unlike the burgers which you really can't do wrong, I'm realizing there is a pretty specific way you have to make this for it to not be the monstrosity most people think it would be.