XFL inaugural season

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

XFL inaugural season

Post by bookworm »

Football isn't done! The new XFL starts play this Saturday! Hopefully it lasts longer than the AAF did.

It's going to have different rules than the NFL and already has a lot of intrigue around it after the first attempt at doing this failed back in 2001. It will be something really interesting to check out, so I set up a Chatroom channel for if anyone wants to hang out during games. A lot of them are going to be on free tv. (schedule is here)

If you put a game on, or even if you don't watch but want to hang out anyway, come by #XFL in the Chatroom! :)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's looking like I'm not going to be able to watch live either day this weekend, but I'm recording the games that I get. I'm really excited to check this out.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I wasn't able to sit down and completely watch any game but I enjoyed what I saw--Saturday's games seemed a little better but I had fun either way. Of course its just a little weird not *really* having a team that you have any connection to unless they are your hometown team or something, since they are all new. I base my preferences on pro wrestlers with the same or similar names/nicknames to the teams. \:D/ RIP Renegade. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I've watched the recordings of the three games I got last weekend. I really enjoyed it!

It was different enough from the NFL that it made me want to go ahead and watch all the games in full rather than getting the gist enough from one and just skimming the others like I thought might happen, especially since like you said there's no attachment to any of the teams or players. But even just watching for the event itself, it was a really engaging viewing experience. I'm liking the tweaks to the game, it's not overdone of gimmicky but it's enough to be noticeably more fun and interesting at least for now. I'll see if it's just because it's fresh and starts to wear off as the season goes on, but for now I plan to watch all the games shown on the channels I get.

I like having audio from everyone, from the coaches to the refs to the replay booth. And I like the new clock rules. I wouldn't want them implemented in the NFL, especially the shorter play clock, at least until there's been plenty of time to get used to them because they significantly change how a drive plays out, but for this offshoot game I really like it. There were definitely some kinks getting worked out in Saturday's games with confusion about when the clock should run and when it shouldn't; in the first game from the actual timekeeper with the official having to correct them multiple times for either not starting it or incorrectly starting it, and in the second game from the players with multiple delay penalties for not realizing how little time they had, most notably failing to get a last play off before halftime because they didn't know the clock was going to start running even though the ref clearly announced that is would. Definitely taking some getting used to for actually playing the game, but as a viewer I like it. I've never personally been a fan of midgame interviews, so having one after like every play is a little irritating, but that's the only thing I haven't liked so far and it's not really a big deal.

-- 12 Mar 2020 07:31 pm --

Well, like AAF before it this league has shut down midseason. :| This was due to covid making it impractical to continue though, not seemingly because of issues with the league itself so that's an important difference, but it is really interesting that neither of these were able to even complete one season they both shut down part way through. They plan to resume next year with a full season

-- 10 Apr 2020 08:12 pm --

Well scratch that, they've actually suspended operations with no plan to return. :( Not sure what changed between last month and now, maybe there was more to this than just covid after all. I'm very surprised by this development though; everything I saw had been really positive, people seemed to be liking this a lot. It was really feeling like this could have some genuine level of success; certainly not as a legitimate rival to the NFL, but as a well received supplementary league which was all it was aspiring to be this time around. In the end though its legacy is probably just going to be that it didn't do any better this time around than the first time it was tried, even though the circumstances here were very different.