Computers

Describe the internals of the one you use to come here

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Me
An original

Computers

Post by Me »

This is the place to show off the specs of our computers. Allow me to begin.

CPU: AMD Athlon 2100+
Motherboard: Soyo Dragon KT333 Ultra Platinum Edition (Includes ethernet, etc.)
RAM: 512mb PC2100 by Crucial
HD: All Western Digital at 7200rpm, 8mb buffer. 80 gbinternal, 250gb internal, 250gb external.
Removable storage: 12x LiteOn Multi-format DVD burner, generic 16x DVD reader, removable hd enclosure, floppy drive, flash readers.
Sound: M-Audio FW-410
Speakers: Creative Inspire 6.1 surround system
Video: Radeon 9800pro 256 bit, 128mb RAM.
Other: 400watt ps with quiet fan, 2 Vantech Stealth 80mm case fans, black and silver Raidmax case, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 17" Gateway2000 Vivitron 17.

Laptop:
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.2ghz
RAM: 512mb PC2100
HD: 40GB 5400rpm
Removable Storage: 24x cd burner/DVD reader
Video: Too embarrasing to talk about
LCD: 15" UXGA

If all goes well, I will be buying a high end computer for editing video in the next few months. It's going to be insane.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Me wrote:If all goes well, I will be buying a high end computer for editing video in the next few months. It's going to be insane.
Awesome. My dad purchased a desktop computer for that very purpose--video editing, DVD authoring, etc. I can't remember what the exact specs are, but I'm pretty sure it has a combined HD capacity of 500GB+. :-s

Since I primarily work on my laptop, I'll list its specs.

CPU: Intel Centrino 1.39ghz
RAM: 256MB
HD: 27.9GMB
Removable Storage: CD/DVD drive (no clue what the speed is)
Video: No idea
LCD: 15"
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

mine has
A dvd drive (15x)
A cd drive (12x)
A://drive
37.2 HD
and some other stuff
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I'll list only my primary since I have less than ten but more than six.
This is the one I built...

CPU: Pentium 4 (3.6Ghz)
Motherboard: AOpen AX4SPE Max
RAM: 512MB Dual memory
HD: Toshiba 7200rpm, 160GB storage
Removable Storage: 16x DVD reader, DVD burner, DVD-R reader, CD-R/RW writer, Floppy Drive
Sound: Maya 7.1
Speakers: Yamaha YST-M5
Video Card: Geforce4 256bit, 128MB RAM
Ports: 8 USB ports, 4 Serial, etc.
LCD: 17" Logitec LCM-T173A/S

There that's the best computer in the house. \:D/
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Wow, that's an impressive CPU you've built there, Ray. Though you could always have a larger hard-drive. ;) I guess it really depends on what it is you're using the computer for . . .

8USB ports? :-s

My laptop only has three. #-o

But then again, I don't have nearly as many things plugged into those ports as a desktop might. :D
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Uh, hmm, I don't know much but:

Sony VAIO
DVD Drive
CD Writing Drive
Floppy Drive
6 Drives (you know, the things you store stuff on)
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I didn't make a Central Processing Unit... I just put the parts of the computer together.

Well 160 Gigs is quite a lot for me since I don't install that many application and Linux isn't a very space consuming operating system. I dual boot with XP.

The eight USB ports is kind of cool because I bought a case that came with 6 in the back and 2 in front.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ray wrote:I didn't make a Central Processing Unit... I just put the parts of the computer together.
:oops: Erm. I meant impressive computer. Please excuse me for using the incorrect terminology. :anxious:
Ray wrote:Well 160 Gigs is quite a lot for me since I don't install that many application and Linux isn't a very space consuming operating system. I dual boot with XP.
I'm really not up-to-date on Linux, since all our machines here run on the Windows OS. You can dual boot with XP? :-s
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Ray wrote:I didn't make a Central Processing Unit... I just put the parts of the computer together.
:oops: Erm. I meant impressive computer. Please excuse me for using the incorrect terminology. :anxious:
Ray wrote:Well 160 Gigs is quite a lot for me since I don't install that many application and Linux isn't a very space consuming operating system. I dual boot with XP.
I'm really not up-to-date on Linux, since all our machines here run on the Windows OS. You can dual boot with XP? :-s
Yes you can. I've done it, and will do it again (just have to decide what distro I want to use). The cool thing about it is that if you already have xp installed, the Linux installer (at least the one I used) will resize the existing partition (if you didn't have the foresight to make linux partitions when you installed the thing *points at self, who me?*) and use the space to create the necessary linux partitions.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I have a fancy drive where I can insert little square plastic disks and save information. Very nice. Also, a drive where I can insert shiny silver disks and retrieve files and listen to music. Also can record information to these strange devices. Some handy plug inamijiggers where I can plug in other electronic devices such as a camera or scanner. Very handy. Some speakers (those are great), and a black box with a large speaker that allows me to adjust the treble/bass. Oooh--and there is a nice big screen that allows me to look at bright colorful pictures.

Seriously all I know about my computer is it is very run-of-the-mill Dell (4550), but I got it upgraded as much as I could and then I got some extra memory and some ultra fancy video card that I know nothing about, except it was expensive. Now I will let you all who actually know about computers continue with your motherboard lingo.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Yeah--that's right! Apparently you all know that you can't even try to top that!!!!!!!