The SAT test

Have you taken it?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Have you taken the SAT?

Yes, the old version
43%
Yes, the new version
9%
No, but I'm planning to
26%
No
22%

Total votes: 23

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

The SAT test

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I took it last year - I'm so glad I didn't have to take the new essay section! I studied for several months leading up to it, and had many index cards with words and their meanings all over my room. :D
I was kinda nervous, but it helped that Watson was in the same classroom with me.

There was this one guy there who actually laid his head down on his desk and went to sleep! :snore: The administrator had to wake him up to continue.

Do you have any stories of when you took it?
Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

I didn't take the SAT, but i took the Pre-SAT. It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. But the version i took was the old version, and when i take the actual SAT, i'll have to take the new version. But the problem in my opinion with the new SAT is that it just depends on who grades the essay, there's no way that each essay will be graded exactly the same. That doesn't seem fair to me :-k
One I Froggy
My posts are revolutionary

Post by One I Froggy »

I took both the SAT and ACT last year, because I wasnt sure which college I would be attending and I wanted ot keep my options open. I did a little better on my ACT, which was expected because I am from the Midwest.
I too studied...at first. But then I just got to the point where I didnt really care what I got because I could aways retake it if I wanted to. But thankfully, my scores were half decent.
The kid that sat in front of me the day of the test, was, im not kidding, stoned out of her mind, and i would really like to know what she got. But, other then that, nothing exciting happened. No one fell asleep, that I know of.
I was really sick for one of them, I dont remembe whether it was the ACT or SAT, and we went out to eat afterwards, and I got really sick. That was a busy weekend that consisted of no sleep.

But now this saturday I have to take a Placement test for which Math class I get put in next yr in college. And I thought I was done with testing. oh brother.
What is it with standarized testing anyways? Talk about labels...
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

dancer02248 wrote:I didn't take the SAT, but i took the Pre-SAT. It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. But the version i took was the old version, and when i take the actual SAT, i'll have to take the new version. But the problem in my opinion with the new SAT is that it just depends on who grades the essay, there's no way that each essay will be graded exactly the same. That doesn't seem fair to me :-k
Indeed, it does seem slightly unfair, considering there's less objectivity in the grading of the essays in the new SATs. On the other hand, I think the new SAT will reflect the student's intellect more than the old SAT did. I took the SAT in December 2004 and this past January.

No great stories about my SAT-taking experiences, although I forgot to bring a watch on the first exam. ](*,) Fortunately, they had a clock in the room, but the proctor never really gave us interval warnings or nothing. So I was guessing the whole time as to how much time I had left. #-o
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Dude, everyone's so old here. I'm taking the new SAT on May 7th...it's like a huge black cloud looming over me waiting to strike me with lightning. (Am in St Louis right now and saw a really cool lightning storm tonight. God is awesome!)
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I just took it the other day and it nearly killed me. I randomly picked the best sounding answer on math and science. -_-;
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Indeed... I aced the English and reading comprehension and such, but merely adequately survived the math and science. ](*,)
Me
An original

Post by Me »

The pre-SAT was so easy for me that I wanted to go to sleep. I was bored out of my wits. The actual test wasn't too bad except for the math. Nevertheless, I still managed to pull a 1330. I have no plans to take the new one. I also took the ACT, on which they never give you enough time. It always came down to the wire, and I ended up with a 30.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Took the SAT--results like Top. My friend used to have to read the dictionary when he was younger and then liked it and would read it for fun. Anyways, he scored perfect on his vocab.
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

I've taken it like twice in my life... And got above average scores, because it was second and like fourth grade :p
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

No. A little while longer till I have to worry about that! :D
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

The Top Crusader wrote:Indeed... I aced the English and reading comprehension and such, but merely adequately survived the math and science. ](*,)
I thought that was how I was going to do, but I actually got a higher math score! :shock: I didn't expect that!

I expected it to be really hard, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I guess all the studying paid off. :D
Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I also forgot to mention that I didn't study at all. Preparing for AP tests on the other hand....
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I took the old version of the SAT test! :) From all that I've heard I'm pleased to have taken the old version. It included analogies which I love. The new test doesn't have them I've heard. :cry: I also liked the quantitative comparison section which again I hear has been removed. :( Although I did miss one in that section which in turn lowered my raw score because I lost 1/3 of a point instead of 1/4. #-o
What a relief not to have to do an essay. I hate things that seem subjective - which is why I found myself preferring the math section to the verbal section - and I'm not a big fan of writing essays in such a short amount of time. (1) You have to write about whatever they tell you. (2) Your time is strictly watched. (3) You have to write it by hand even if you have bad handwriting. (4) You can't easily move things around.
I had the joy one time of writing an essay on a computerized test. While being timed and stuck with their topic wasn't fun it was cool to be able to type since (1) I'm a fast typist, (2) no troubles with bad handwriting, and (3) I could easily edit stuff and move it around as I pleased.
I don't have anything real interesting about my actual testing experience to share... I guess I can say that I was really pleased to figure out which section of the test was going to be dropped! \:D/ I reviewed for the test out of a book containing 10 previous SAT tests. In there I noticed that the missing section was always 3, 4, or 5 and never 1, 2, 6, or 7. On the test I took, there were 4 math sections and 3 verbal so I knew the extra section was math. Sections 3 and 5 were math of course but what gave it away was section 5 was the quantitative comparison and fill in the blank section. :D Since that's the only section on the test that is like that I knew it wouldn't be the one dropped. That left me with section 3... which I struggled with the most. What a relief to see it go! =D>
Overall I scored very well and surprised myself. I can slap my forehead now knowing that I answered at least one problem that I could've easily done right incorrectly because I misread it. #-o Since it was in the math section that more severely affected my score because the grading there is steeper due to having fewer problems. ](*,)
To be honest there were some fun things about the test although I was dreading it beforehand. :-$ It's hard though when you know that so much can be at stake with that one little score. :boohoo:
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

I took the PSAT in October of 2003, the ACT on my birthday in February of 2004, and the SAT in April of 2004. Homeschooling afforded me a very substantial amount of time to study, so I went into my tests very prepared. When I took the PSAT I had studied in excess of 50 hours over the two weeks leading up to it. I had also studied for the test over the summer, and had taken it for practice the year before. All this effort was given, because you are only permitted to take the test once. Because I scored well on the PSAT (212 - 72 English, 68 Math, 72 Writing) and am a National Merit Scholar, I am going to be attending Liberty University this fall with tuition, room, and baord paid for. All that to say that if you are taking the PSAT (only taken for credit in the fall of your junior year of high school) it is worth studying for! You only get one shot at that one.

As for the SAT, I studied vigorously for that as well (though I wasn't as worried about it as the PSAT). I scored a 1410 - 700 Verbal, 710 Math. I really don't know much about the new SAT. I enjoyed studying for the old test, because I was using the Kaplan computer program. It was surprisingly entertaining, keeping me on my toes with a constant barrage of humor dispersed throughout the lessons. I recommend the Kaplan computer program above anything else to students preparing for the SAT, PSAT, or ACT. It's got the Double E Action*: Entertaining and Educational.

The SAT and PSAT went pretty smoothly for me, so I don't really have any stories there. The ACT however, ruined my birthday. I was sick on the morning of the ACT, and was therefore unnusually slow. I have heard that students that listen to classical music before taking standardized tests tend to do better. I am not one of those students. I should have remembered to down a red bull before going into the testing room. I ran out of time and didn't get to about 60 questions on the test. I had gotten a 34 and a 32 on practice tests. I walked out of the testing room with a 27. And my mom was late to pick me up. That was a horrible start to a birthday. Ah well, That score didn't factor into my acceptance at college anyway, so I've let it go. (It does slightly bother me though that my best friend, who I scored 400 points higher than on the SAT got a better score than me on the ACT.) That's God right there... smacking pride in the face. :)

So yeah... standardized tests... I'm done with them now! Woot!

Double E Action is a registered trademark of David O and Azheim productions Inc. Seriously, if you use it without ponying up a couple bones, then you are a miserable person. Seriously man, seriously.
Not dead yet.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I took the ACT, and nearly went mad. 5 hours of testing is inhumane. I didn't really study and got 27, and after 5 hours I refused to take another and never took the SAT.

I've got a friend that aced them both.

-Jonathan
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

One thing I keep kicking myself about is that I didn't keep track of the time on the first section, so I ran out of time with around 4 questions left. Plus I had skipped two to come back to. ](*,) So I know I could have scored a little higher if I had paid attention to the clock. I got 1410 like you David O.

I haven't taken the ACT - how is it different from the SAT?
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I found the ACT to be harder. If I remember correctly, it focuses more on English skills (its been a year, so the memory may be fogged). The biggest difficulty is that they don't give you enough time. That is the only standardized test I have ever taken where I didn't finish at least five minutes early.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Me wrote:I found the ACT to be harder. If I remember correctly, it focuses more on English skills (its been a year, so the memory may be fogged). The biggest difficulty is that they don't give you enough time. That is the only standardized test I have ever taken where I didn't finish at least five minutes early.
Doesn't the ACT cover more subjects?
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I can't remember. It was too long ago, and I brushed it from my memory as soon as possible. The scores got me into college, and that was all I needed them for.