one of the strictest universities EVER

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

one of the strictest universities EVER

Post by MDB17 »

http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/index.html

My roommate knows a guy who goes here. I feel very sorry for him. They even used to have a ban on interracial dating until President Bush forced them to get rid of it. I'm surprised they're still in business. You'd think people would have enough common sense to not go there...it's like everyone there is under house arrest. Much worse, actually. ](*,)
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Oh my gosh... I was looking through the dress code, and it is just insane! My friend goes to a Christian school that is really strict, and they allow them to do way more than this. *stares* that's just way too strict.
Classroom/general dress consists of a dress or top and skirt; however, pants may be worn for some recreational activities. Shorts may never be worn outside the residence halls and fitness center.
I don't think I could handle wearing a skirt that often. I'm suprised that they allow women and men to even talk to each other.
Residence hall students may not watch videos above a G rating when visiting homes in town and may not attend movie theaters.
Now that's just annoying! I wonder if they allow them to watch the Passion? Bwa ha... I'd like to stirr up some trouble with a discussion with one of the head people about watching the Passion.
* New Age, jazz, rock, and country music is not permitted.
* Contemporary Christian music is not permitted (e.g., Michael W. Smith, Stephen Curtis Chapman, WOW Worship, and so forth).
I would die if I couldn't listen to my CCM! These people are insane! Not even JAZZ?! What's wrong with jazz??!!??

Sarah
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

OMGOSH! OMGOSH!! OMGOSH!!!! :shock:

NOTHING above a G rating!!!! Even when they're at a friends house!!!?? They can't even watch the Incredibles!!! And NO theatre!???!!!! I would never go there!!! And if I had no choice, I would die!
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I disagree. It's not horrible as so many people make it out to be. My brother went there for his pre-med degree and my aunt is a teacher there. Sure, they have standards, and everyone looking at going there knows that. If they can't abide by those rules they can go somewhere else. But plenty of people appreciate their standards and like going to BJU.

And, President Bush did not "force them" to get rid of that rule. He spoke there one time while he was campaigning, the media heard of it, and proceeded to bash BJU. They brought attention to the old rule, and BJ agreed it wasn't right and got rid of it.

And we do have plenty of common sense, by the way. :shame:
Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I just visited one of my good friends who goes there for three days, and it was pretty hard, like the skirts and stuff. I don't know if I could go there.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

A friend of mine went there for a year. Mainly because his parents, really, really, wanted him to. But a year was all he could take.

It wouldn't be my campus of choice. :-s

Apart from the strictness, he had numerous problems with their teaching methods and stuff (a teacher that refused to take any questions, for example).
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I disagree. It's not horrible as so many people make it out to be. My brother went there for his pre-med degree and my aunt is a teacher there. Sure, they have standards, and everyone looking at going there knows that. If they can't abide by those rules they can go somewhere else. But plenty of people appreciate their standards and like going to BJU.

And, President Bush did not "force them" to get rid of that rule. He spoke there one time while he was campaigning, the media heard of it, and proceeded to bash BJU. They brought attention to the old rule, and BJ agreed it wasn't right and got rid of it.

And we do have plenty of common sense, by the way. :shame:
I agree. Some of it is a little too strict if you think about it. But I think the dress codes are very nice. I would consider going if they offered Deaf Ed.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

If I'm not mistaken, Pensacola College has a rather strict code, too. The following is only a small portion of their rules.

-----

Socialling

While socialled, a student may have no communication with another student of the opposite sex except in in classroom or preapproved situations.

Dorm Rules

You may not open your window.
You may not adjust your thermostat.
You may not wipe "boogers" on the wall. This is being cracked down on. :lol: [This should be a given]

Off Campus Rules

You may not go to a public library.
You may not go onto the campus of any other college in the Pensacola area.
Women are not allowed to hold off campus jobs. (All school jobs during the year pay minimum wage or below)

Men

Pants may not be "pegged" or have any pockets on the legs.
Pants may not be "frayed" at the bottom.
No jeans, or double-stitched pants.
Shirts must be tucked in at all times.
Men may not wear a necklace.
Hats may only be worn outdoors, but NOT at outdoor sporting events.
You must wear a belt at all times.
You must wear "dress" shoes except when involved in athletic activity. [My feet would never forgive me]
You must wear a collared shirt except when involved in athletic activity.
No apparel with other colleges or high-schools is allowed.

Women

Women must wear a skirt or dress at all times. Jean skirts are allowed at dating outings only. [But didn't you say something about 'no communication with another student of the opposite sex'? :-s ] Long shorts (i.e., "gauchos" or "culottes") which reach the knee are permitted for athletic activity.
Skirts/Dresses must reach the top of the knee when sitting.
Women must wear nylons ("hose") with skirts, but may wear socks with shorts.
You may not wear pants in your dorm, although sweats ARE permitted after prayer group.
All skirts must be knee length and shirts must not be subjectively "low-cut."
No two-piece swimming suits (although, this is a bit irrelevant since a male should never see you swimming).

-----

:thud: :thud:
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
-----

You said it well
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

mdb17 wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:
-----

You said it well
no kidding! :shock:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I think that some of the rules will definitely drive some people away, but I guess that's probably the goal of the rules. I just couldn't survive at a school that bans Michael W. Smith music! ](*,) It would be impossible for me!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

"Strictness" is in the eye of the beholder. That is, "strict" is one of the most relative terms in the English language.

A rule that one person may call "strict" another may call "loose." Reality tells us that across the wide spectrum of Christianity, there are many different levels of standards and rules. I for one think that BJU is quite loose in some areas--particularly Pre-Marital Divorce Training Exercises, a.k.a. dating.

I believe Paul addresses this issue in Romans 14. Back then, instead of CCM, skirts, and movie ratings, they dealt with eating meat and observing special feast days. Paul says (NASB): "Let not him who eats regard with contempt him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats, for God has accepted him."

Some issues are grey areas, and some are not. I think Paul is calling Christians--from BJU to Pensecola, to us individually--to not excessively quibble over standards, but rather examine our convictions (or lack of them) before God, and see if they are Scriptural.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Same here. I like music that is a lot more like rock than Michael W. Smith's is. Now I know what two colledges I'm definatly not going to..
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...

I can see why they ban rock (though I hate it! :evil: ) , but M W. Smith!!!!???? :-s That's just plain dumb and crazy!
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...

You read those rules and you go...

:shock: :evil: :protest: :demonstration:
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

I think some of those rules are rediculous. I don't know about those two schools, but someone i know went to a school that was considered to be really strict, and when she got there things weren't as bad as they seemed to be on paper, and things were a little more lenient. But come on, no pants in the dorm room??
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Woah, that was really weird... My mom just brought in the mail, and she showed me this little girl on the back of a homeschooling book magazine with cute little ringlets, and I looked on the back... and there it was... The BJU logo thing. It was the weirdest thing ever, since I had just been on that site. It was like it was coming back to haunt me. :anxious:

Sarah
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Perhaps following the old advice mom used to give would be appropriate: If you don't have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." Honest, insightful questions about any topic are always appreciated. However, comments like 'being haunted', 'dumb and crazy' ' these people are insane' and 'worse than house arrest' are very insensitive and rude and quite frankly are statements made without truly knowing the people who you are commenting on.

By the way, I find it offensive to use the phrase "oh my gosh' so liberally on a 'christian' forum. Gosh is a derivative of God and is a minced oath - a way to take the Lord's name in vain without really seeming like you're doing it. Go ahead and look up gosh in the dictionary:(from Merriam Webster online)

Main Entry: gosh
Pronunciation: 'gäsh, 'gosh
Function: interjection
Etymology: euphemism for God
-- used as a mild oath or to express surprise
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I apologize if I came across as insensitive with my above post regarding Pensacola College. :anxious: I was merely showing an example of what I define as a 'strict' college. While I may not agree with all their rules, I can appreciate the angle from which they are coming. As much as I don't like some of the rules, I can't say I wouldn't go to a college like that.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Eh, yeah, I didn't really mean to come across as harsh as I did when I said "coming back to haunt me" .... I was kidding, :P My entire family has this horrible habit of being very sarcastic. #-o

I still don't agree with a majority of their rules, but I guess I should have respected them more.

I still think they're still a bit too strict, but that's really just my opinion.

Sarah