Slow Downs

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Slow Downs

Post by Shadowpaw »

Everyone,

Despite my purchase of a new server, apparently it wasn't good enough ](*,). I received an email from my hosting providers saying that this board is using up too much of their CPU resources and have moved it to a different server for the next 1 - 2 weeks. As this server is where they put all the "high consumption" accounts, you might experience some slower browsing times until everything is resolved.

Sorry about the inconvenience! I actually never knew it would be an issue... we are well below my bandwidth requirements and everything else, but apparently there is an "unadvertised" limitation that I wasn't aware about called CPU minutes. This site uses an average of 60 CPU minutes a day, while I'm only allowed 30 - 40. I don't actually know what those figures even mean, but tomorrow morning I should get a detailed breakdown of what is dragging everything down and hopefully can resolve this sooner, rather than later.

The other alternative is to purchase a dedicated server, where I wouldn't have to worry about this stuff. But for $99 a month, it's not exactly something I want to invest in ;). I'll keep you posted!
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

You know Shadowpaw, I am such a great person that if needed, I will pay the $99 all in ToO dollars so you can upgrade the account. heck, I'll even throw in some extra ToO money for all your hard effort to keep this awesome site running! Seriosuly, don't worry about it Shadowpaw! I am sure we can all deal with it! And if not, let me know who is complaining and I'll deal with them............ :-
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Thanks for the update, Shadowpaw. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I haven't noticed a change...But thanks!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I haven't seen a change, either, but that's for letting us know. I'm sure you'll get everything worked out.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Another option is building your own server. It's really easy, I have two servers at my house, all you need is a computer with Apache on with PHP and MySQL installed. Then set your IP to static.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have not noticed a slow down, but I am glad to know that if it does slow down it is not something that I am doing. Thanks Shadowpaw!!
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I wondered why it was slow yesterday. I think I was on when they switched servers, because I wasn't able to connect for a while. At least there is a good explanation. Hope the problem can be resolved quickly.
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

I have indeed noitced slowness and compleat shutdowns, thaks for the warning Shadowpaw!
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

It's incredibly slow for me :(. The good news is that yesterday our consumption was only 23 CPU minutes, well below the limit, so hopefully it can keep up like that for the next week and we can get everything back up and running faster. It's rather frustrating for me, as I was never aware there existed such a limit :(.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I'm sorry Shadowpaw!!!!!! :console:

If it makes you feel better, the only difference I've really noticed is that the pictures and emoticons take longer to load.....
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I had some trouble getting the site up today. Thanks for letting us know whats up.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I could not get it to work for about an hour this morning, but it is fine now. Thanks again Shadowpaw.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I wonder if they'd let you trade unused bandwith for CPU minutes if necessary.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Huzzah! It no longer takes fifty seven point eight seconds to get from Finneman's Market to the Harlequin Theatre. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Huzzah! It no longer takes fifty seven point eight seconds to get from Finneman's Market to the Harlequin Theatre. \:D/
I emailed my hosts and asked them to return me to my normal server. I haven't received a reply, but the board was so slow for so long and then the board went completely dead (about 15 minutes after I emailed them) for about 5 - 10 minutes, and it's back and as fast as it should be... I'm wondering if they answered my request :). Either that, or moved me to a less busy "limbo" server.

Or the servers crashed and things will eventually get as sluggish as they were before :(.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

options
1.build a server
2.get whatever the TH has
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Eugene Kendall wrote:options
1.build a server
2.get whatever the TH has
1. Possible, but probably not going to happen.
2. No disrespect to the TH, but the TH doesn't attract as many people nor does it require as much CPU power as the ToO does. In fact, the TH recently made only 10 posts visible per page of a topic because it was running into bandwidth issues with their traffic. The server I have for the ToO is significantly more capable and has far more bandwidth/webspace/email addresses and everything else. Switching to what the TH has would be downgrading.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

ohh then how about buying a server
beka8910
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by beka8910 »

dont worry its all in Gods hands, he will sort things out.