When you least expect it!

Mishaps, boo boos, accidents, and things you wished never happened.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

When you least expect it!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Tonight in math class, I was adjusting my glasses. My frames must have been weakening because they snapped and one of the lenses fell out! AAAUUGGGGHHH! Fortunately, the lecture was nearly over, otherwise I would have not been able to read what the teacher was writing on the board.

Right now, my frames are repaired using a healthy dose of Scotch tape.

Come on and fess up on accidents that have happened to you!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Heh heh...remember the time I dropped mom's nice pepper shaker? Aughh, that was horrible! :shock: I was standing there gazing down at the glass shards and pepper all over the floor. What a sinking feeling in my stomach!
Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

You want a mishap? Try witnessing a ketchup bottle fall from the top shelf in the fridge, crack upon landing, and leave a pool of redness all over the fridge and floor. ](*,) Thankfully, I was not the one responsible, nor the one who opened the fridge . . . just before we sat down to eat dinner, my dad had gone over to put something back into the fridge, and SPLAT. Needless to say, we didn't get to eat our meal for the next twenty minutes. :doubt:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

My whole day has seemed like that......... :boohoo:

Stayed up until 4:30 last night cramming for a midterm and finishing a roughdraft for an essay that I was only informed of two days ago. Got up at 8 and actually studied for the test again on the way to school (Honest, I'm a good driver :anxious: ). Took my midterm and found that most of what I had studied wasn't even on the test and the part I skimmed WAS!!!!!!!!! #-o

Went to my next class, at least proud of myself for finishing the paper and found out that only like 75% of the class had even bothered to write the paper--most of them just wrote a basic outline about a paragraph long. Our professor realized that she hadn't given us enough time............So now I spent all that time straining to stay awake to write some stupid 4 page paper that didn't even matter!!!! ](*,)

Then, I went to work. Which would have been fine, except that my computer started to crash about every 2 minutes. This is great when your job sorta REQUIRES a computer. I thought it was just the mouse, so I switched it with another computer :- and that didn't fix it. I actually stressed myself over it so much I gave myself a headache. :mad: So then I decided to eat this huge beautiful orange I had brought with me and was saving for lunch. It looked so awesome. I unpeeled it, just knowing all my frustrations of the day would melt once I tasted the juicy fruit. It tasted like water....with a little bit of oragne juice. It wasn't even remotely good. even the texture was weird--way too much of that kinda chewy white part........After I played around with the computer some more, I decided I needed to leave or I was going to put my fist through the screen, and this might not be considered nice. So I told the secretary and she called the tech guy so hopefully my computer will be fixed tomorrow..........but I am not betting on it. Now I am WAY Behind on work.......

So as I was leaving, this fairly new friend and co-worker ran up and told me he had found a guy who was willing to take me out. I think I almost passed out. Willing to go out with me. Gee thanks. It's pretty hard to find anyone who could possibly be willing to take me out. And since when did I need to be taken out! I am single right now because I CHOOSE to be. None of the guys who have approached me lately have been my type. I am not so pathetic that I need to have friends out scouring the gutters in search of some guy who is willing to go out with me. And what right has he to go and ask someone to take me out? I had never said anything to anyone!!!

So I proceeded to chew my friend out as I started to feel a migraine coming on and my friend started to back away and said that he just meant that he knew I wanted to check out the hangouts since I was new to town and had mentioned it to a cool friend of his he thought I would get along and his friend wanted to show me around the town. (wow--really long sentence with no commas there.......oh well) So then I felt like big meanie and started to apologize and told him I thought he had meant he was trying to find some guy to take me out on a date and I was sorry. And then he was like "well yeah--it's a date!" Instead of trying to explain my point of view, I just thanked him and turned around and left.

Got a phonecall for this job I applied for and they want to hire me to bartend nights. Which is great for tips--but I really don't want to bartend at this place--it is a real dive. I would rather bartend at like a country club and make awesome tips there! And then the lady said that it was both weeknights and weekends, which would mean I would literally be working 2 jobs and going to school from 9:30 until 2 at night PLUS weekends. I thought the job was only the weekend or nights. Even that alone will be hard with my other job and school. But I need the extra money since I am paying for college by myself. So now that I have actually been offered the job I am more stressed than before. I think I should turn it down, because once I went in the plaec, it seemed really seedy and i think I might be working myself and at night, I don't know if that is such a great plan. Besided, the whole reason I even tried to get a bartending job was because of the awesome tips, but if it's in a sleazy place the tips won't be great! Probably like $25 instead of the $100-150 I was thinking of.

Rest of day mediocre---trying to frantically cram in homework before next class and clas ran late so I didn't get home until late. Now I have to go to work tomorrow and I am supposed to be going to this huge 3 day party and now I will have to be late!!!!! I have been looking forward to this for months. Like 17 bands are playing and you pay $20 bucks to get in and everyone camps out for 3 days and it's supposed to be a blast, but I've never been able to go. It worked out great, because it starts tomorrow and I did have tomorrow off! But now I have to go work!!!!!! And that means I can't go and catch a ride with friends, which means not only will I be a day late, I will have to drive the three hours there all by my little wee lonesome self :mecry:

Oh my......... :-# He he. I meant to just write an accident today and it turned into a huge venting session. Woah....on the other hand--I feel alot better! Wow--I bet I maxed out on the money you can earn on a post!!!!!! Uh, I'm going to apologize and go now......Sorry all...........

EDIT: oh yeah-- the accident was I broke the antenna off of my new $200 cell phone.......I went to the place I bought it from and they don't have new antennas. So they sent me to Radio Shack......went there and was late to my last class because of it and they didn't even carry them either. Now I have to stand in one spot to get reception. Good news is after I posted my post there, I went to eBay and found out I could get my antenna for like $9 and I can even get cool flashy ones!

I just wanted to claridy I actually did have an accident to share....... :oops:

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh yeah--and I broke the heel off one of my boots I was wearing today.......they were thse really nice knee high tan LEI boots I dished out way too much money for and have only worn like twice and then tonight I was getting out of my car for class, and I stepped out wrong, and the heel started to pop off. Any of you ever seen The Terminal where she breaks the hell of her shoe and walks around without the heel? Yeah, I was like that, except the heel was still attached. I just couldn't put any weight on it or I was afraid it would come off all the way. See--I did have a reason to post!!!!!!!
Last edited by Jessicado on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

I was borrowing a friend's bike, as a big group of my friends and I were biking. We were going up and down hills and I didn't see a turn I had to make, like right now, so I squeezed the left brake instead of the right and flew over the handle bars for all to see! And the ones who didn't see it were told. #-o

Ans there are always those times when one trips or bumps into something/someone. :anxious:
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I hate losing control of a bike! Are you okay? Besides the utter embarresment, the part I hate the most is all those little tiny pieces of gravel imbedded in your palsm that you have to pick out and peroxide.....
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I dropped my hot pink nailpolish in the kitchen, and it broke. So, I had hot pink nailpolish all over the kitchen floor, the stove, and my pants. And, to make matters worse, it was a BRAND NEW bottle!!!! *augh* :evil: That was terrible! Then I had to use up a half a bottle of nailpolish romover, and just pour it on the floor and scrub. (Our kitchen floor is white...)
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Yes, I was more humiliated then anything, it was awhile back though. That was a really bad day, I had to wake up around 4:30 am, and drive for two hours, and on the way out of the house I fell down scratched up my knees and my hands, my thumb got really infected. #-o Then I forgot my hair brush (I was camping) and I had to drive back home (it was only a few minutes, but still!).
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

One of my favorite mishaps was when we were doing chinese fire drills we didn't realized we were on a downhill slope, and by the time I hopped out of the van, it was moving pretty good. And I didn't land on my feet.

-Jonathan
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I was using a friend's BMX at some dirt jumps. I launched off a tabletop (this one was just two kickers with a board over the top). As I got up in the air, I noticed that the board was halfway off the tabletop. I tried to correct in midair as I didn't have enough air to clear it. I screwed up, and ended up faceplanting down the kicker, and halfway up the trannie to the next jump. Wouldn't have been so bad if the bike was mine. I almost damaged it.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Jonathan wrote:One of my favorite mishaps was when we were doing chinese fire drills we didn't realized we were on a downhill slope, and by the time I hopped out of the van, it was moving pretty good. And I didn't land on my feet.

-Jonathan
Ouch! But if I may ask, what is a chinese fire drill?
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

At a stop light everyone except the driver jumps out of the car, runs around the car and jumps back in. When the light turns green the driver just drives off (even if not everyone is in the car.)

I would not recommend doing this. My Dad ran over a girl’s foot while driving for a Chinese fire drill.

I do believe there are other ways to do a Chinese fire drill. That was just what I’m familiar with.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I thought a chinese fire drill involved the driver switching spots too---that is that way we always do it......but then again, that is not proof of anything! :D
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

I never said that was the only way to do it.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

So many mishaps..........so little time :D

One I recall rather vividly was when I was 17. I was convinced I was going to ride my bike across the country (on summer break) like Mike Trout had just previously done. (actually made this decision and started training when I was 16).

Mom said as long as I could prove to her that I had trained well enough to be able to complete the journey and saved up enough for estimated food / lodging expense I could go. Somehow I don't think she expected me to get as determined and be so dilligent in my training and saving as I did when she made the agreement.

So for 10 months I trained, worked, and saved every penny I could get my hands on. I was in good shape to begin with so I started out at a rather fast paced traning regimen.....school was 19 miles away from our house.......yup, I rode my bike there.........at first I started out with "plenty of time", leaving the house at 5:30 AM (school didn't begin until 8:25)..........got to the point where I could walk out the door at 7:15, hop on my bike and be at school at 8:15........not too bad of timming. I kept shooting to beat an hour, and I think a couple of times I did, but most of the time it took right at an hour.......though still, averaging 19 mph isn't too bad for a teenager. Of course riding my bike to school meant also riding it back home........then there were friends who lived 10-22 miles away (and some further) where I could ride my bike to on training runs........my furthest training run was the 50 mile trip from my house to Visalia CA. I went there leaving the house at 5 AM, hung out for a little while and was home at 9 PM...........note: this was flat-ground riding.......no down-hill breaks.

I forget when, but not too long after I demostrated endurance, we figured I had to train my body to climb..........and I had a friend who lived 16 miles away........nearly all of it straight up hill (a very steep hill). We started easy........me riding the first 5 miles, then getting a ride up the hill.......then going 8 miles and getting a ride.......to the point that I did the entire 16 mile ride, and still had energy to ride my bike around my friend's property for "play" (note: I get tired just thinking of doing such now, 7 yrs later).

I had pulled it off.........I had trained (and completed several days where I did a 100 mile trip [50 miles each way]), saved, and was all set to go as soon as school let out (which was going to be April that year for me........I went to publicly funded private school, and my principal and teachers all thought the idea was great..........but I didn't want to have to wait until June / July to be riding across the country.........so my principal and I made the deal that if I doubbled up on my workload and got enough work done to earn the credits for the year, I could go on summer break early).........

Two weeks before I was set to leave for the trip, I was heading to my friends (the ones who lived up the 16 mile hill).......I had done that trip so many times no one really gave any thought to there being "problems". About 4 PM that day I got on my bike to go back home (gotta love those down-hill "freebie" rides). As I headed down the driveway of my friend's property, they called my mom to let her know I was on my way home.........at 4:30 when I wasn't home, my mom began to worry (even stopping at the drug store for a soda I could be home in less than 30 mins). She decided to give it a little bit more in case I had (uncharacteristically) changed plans w/o letting her know. At 5:00 PM, she made two calls.........one to our county sheriff to get him to patrol my route home, and one to my friend's folks to get them to drive down the hill to see if they could spot me (mom was sure I had been in an accident by this time).

I believe it was the friend who spotted me first.........just about 6 miles away from their house......it didn't take a rocket-scientist to figure out that I was hurt bad.

We later found out the cause of my accident was the front brakes on my bike locked up and clamped down on my front tire (a disasterous thing to happen when you're traveling at speeds of 45-50 mph on a bike). 9 broken bones and a concusion (dispite the helmet) and the first words outta my mouth after the doc told me and my mom the extent of my inujries was "ya know, even after the breaks heal, I still got time to make the ride and be back here before school starts up in August"........my mom wasn't as enthusiastic.

Never did end up making that trip........maybe someday..........though honestly.........I don't want it as bad now as I did then.........I seriously doubt I'd work as hard at training for such now as I did 7 yrs ago).

OK, that was a lot of rambling, but I didn't want to just go into the accident w/o giving ya some history behind what led up to it.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

OrigamiKid wrote:At a stop light everyone except the driver jumps out of the car, runs around the car and jumps back in. When the light turns green the driver just drives off (even if not everyone is in the car.)

I would not recommend doing this. My Dad ran over a girl’s foot while driving for a Chinese fire drill.

I do believe there are other ways to do a Chinese fire drill. That was just what I’m familiar with.

~OrigamiKid
We didn't do this on a public road, thankfully.

Another mishap of mine (probably when I was 10): My neighbors have a huge yard; while everyone else has land covering a fraction of the hill, they have land going all the way up it. I was riding my bike down it one day, quite fast, and failed to see the green dogleash at the bottom pulled taut across the green grass. The leash was tied to a flagpole (in their backyard :-s ) and a lawnchair. By the time I say it I had little time to react, and wound up taking a flying lesson with my bike. Somewhere in the air the bike left me, or I left the bike, and I fell to the ground, landing on my head and knee without a helmet. Aside from a headache and a swollen knee, I was ok, but I started wearing my helmet for a while after that.

-Jonathan
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Last night, our dishwasher developed a lovely little clog in its drain. Thus, instead of all the water draining out, it leaked out the door and partially flooded our kitchen floor!

Needless to say, we had to do a bit of mopping. And this morning my dad and I did some plumbing to fix the problem. At least, I think we fixed it. :-k
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I fully believe I was created to have mishaps and boo boos.......here are some facts to prove my theory:

3 weeks after I was concieved: My mom's hot water heater exploded with her standing a few feet from it.......she was severely burned around her torso (and didn't know she was pregnant until she got to the hospital)

6 months after I was concieved: A wreckless driver ran a red light making direct impact with my mom's driver side door (again causing some damaged to her abdomen).

13 months after my birth: I was sitting in one of those walkers playing with the cat.......the cat ran out the door and down the steps.......and I followed........still in the walker (my first concusion)

2 1/2 yrs after my birth: Mom was cleaning the kitchen with some bleach that she had in a cup, or yougurt container.......anyway I come walking in, grab the container and start drinking away (so THAT'S what's wrong with me :P )

7 years after my birth: Our dog had decided to have puppies under our enclosed porch by digging a hole under the siding........the dog wasn't fond of letting me peak in HER hole.........so I went to the other end of the porch where there was a hold under the siding beneath the steps........ I figured I'd crawl under there with a flashlight, crawl on my belly 'til I was a safe distance and look at the puppies........I made it under the steps and was going under the porch when the siding board came loose, pinning my by my neack between the board and a rock on the ground.........I was a bit shaken, but not hurt.

7 1/2 years after my birth: Riding with a friend's uncle, I learned first-hand that drunk driving is bad.........he hit a parked (or stopped?) vehicle while going 55 mph (in a residential zone). I got thrown through the windsheild and wedged in between the two vehicles (BIG boo boo there)

9 yrs of age: playing catch in the back yard where my step dad was building a metal storage shed.......of course I was barefoot, and of course I managed to catch my ankel on a piece of the metal........cut my ankel to the bone.......no hospital visit that time.

10 yrs of age: Riding my bike to karate, hit a bump or something going down a slight hill........broke two teeth and my right arm

11 yrs of age: One small mis-step on the loft of our barn sent me falling 11 feet to the (cement) ground. I was stunned for a couple minutes, but apparently had no injuries as I got up and went back to palying almost immediatly.

11 yrs of age: One pesky branch that decided not to hold my weight while climbing a tree I fell about 8 feet, landing on a slab of cement...........all that dirt around me and I land on concrete ](*,) Broke my leg in that one

NOTE: That is just the first 11 yrs of my life..........and only a partial list since in that time there were countless mishaps and boo boos from artistic skating and karate........There are also probably accidents that I've forgotten while making this list..........yup, safe to say that my death will never be the result of an accident.

And yes, Just in case you were wondering, I AM just as accident prone now as I was back then..........I've lost a bit of my "creativeness" in how I get hurt, but I still get in accidents almost nearly as often.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Lat night I was removing nails from the wall in my new room, and when I was prying one out, the lip on the head of the nail bent back and the hammer came crashing down into my brow bone.......I was kinda stunned, so I sat down, and next thing I knew there was blood dripping down--I had actually split open the skin! I got a lovely lump and today it looks like I am wearing really attractive purple eyeshadow over one eye. I have this big ole Cinco de Mayo celebration tonight that it just looks lovely for.....
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Once when I was at a gas station, a kindly looking older woman asked me for a ride. Now, generally I don't give rides to strangers, but it was below zero degrees out, and she seemed decent enough. So, I gave her a ride.

She ended up being a... umm... woman of loose virtue. :(

I promptly dropped her off.