Important News

Regarding Avatars and this Board

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Important News

Post by Shadowpaw »

Everyone,

As most of you are aware, this site was moved to a different server by my hosts after it was discovered we were using far more than our allotted CPU minutes (or resource units as they are often referred). Over time it became clear that the problem was not because this site has too many hits, but rather that there is a flaw somewhere in the board eating up all the CPU power of my server. As a way to isolate the problem, I was forced to alter a setting that effectively took all of the php instructions from this site and converted them into CGI. As a result, it was impossible to upload avatars because that required CGI. Today I received the good news that my site would be returning to it's appropriate server as I have successfully reduced the resource minutes I have been using. So, after viewing the logs, it appears when the php to CGI is in effect, the board becomes unstable and relies too heavily on the CPU. In order to limit the number of crashes you all experience, as well as not use more than my fair share of CPU minutes, the feature will be disabled indefinitely.

What this means is we will employ the same system the Town Hall uses, where you must upload your avatar to another website before being allowed to link to it here. You may also use one of the avatars from our gallery. I do apologize for this inconvenience, as I really was hoping to eliminate the "middle man" but it's a small sacrifice to make for a more stable board. And when you consider the alternative (shutting the board down), I believe you would all appreciate the course of action I am taking!

We should be returning to our normal server within the next 48 hours and hopefully the sporadic crashing and slow downs will come to a grinding halt. Thanks for your patience and understanding over these past two weeks! \:D/

Important: Many of you may now not see your own avatar (this means you uploaded it from your own computer or another site prior to this post). To get your avatar back, Edit Your Profile, click "Show gallery", go to the "Users" gallery and find your avatar there. This is the location where all uploaded avatars were stored prior to this post.

EDIT: Apparently the linking to remote avatars is not currently working either... the gallery is the only choice for the time being while I sort this out :(.

EDIT #2: I've made the necessary changes and everything seems to work properly!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The TH way is fine by me
EDIT: can we send you avvies to put in the gallery?
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Yes, you can. :)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

good I have a whole folder to send then
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Eugene Kendall wrote:The TH way is fine by me
EDIT: can we send you avvies to put in the gallery?
You can (as always), though I don't have the most free time in the world and won't necessarily be able to upload them right away. It would still be faster to sign up with one of those free image hosting sites (anyone who has experience with those willing to give some instructions for others to follow here?) but I will certainly do what I can for you and get anything you send me into the "User" folder ASAP.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

How to upload a image
Make a avatar and save it to your computer.
Upload to one of these sites
http://www.imageshack.us/
http://www.photobucket.com/
Then right click it a press properties and get the URL. copy and paste it into the profile avatar parts and press submit and voila.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

GWAHAHAHA! I'm free!
until EB checks, I guess... but...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sonuna Hydris wrote:GWAHAHAHA! I'm free!
I'm not free. :mecry:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

Hmm, thanks for the update shadowpaw
Last edited by StupendousMan on Fri May 13, 2005 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Sonuna Hydris wrote:GWAHAHAHA! I'm free!
You're free tomorrow. :p
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

http://imagecave.com is another one of those free image hosting. You could just sign up for a free webhost and make a website/images... you know http://portland.co.uk
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

I've uploaded my superman image several times and still can't get it to work.

I even see it on my front page, but for some reason it will not load into the forum board. Hmmm...
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Same here, Flyah. My avatar appears on the front page . . but it's not showing up anywhere else. #-o
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

I'm not alone - (I thought I was an idiot and doing something wrong)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Flyah wrote:I'm not alone - (I thought I was an idiot and doing something wrong)
Then we'll both be idiots together. :anxious:
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

May I also suggest www.yoxio.com or www.ripway.com ? both are free, and very easy to sign up with. I store almost all of my images there.

Sarah
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sarah wrote:May I also suggest www.yoxio.com or www.ripway.com ? both are free, and very easy to sign up with. I store almost all of my images there.
You may. :)

I've used ripway, but they give you 10MB of data transfer every 24 hours. Albeit, you can upload non-photo files. However, if you want a reliable host site for just pictures, use Image Shack or Image Cave. Image Cave gives you approximately 1GB of data transfer every month. :)
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

good...thanks.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I use imageshack.
...I hate marquees.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Remote Avatar linking has been fixed... the strangest thing, but the line of code for displaying the remote avatars was missing from every page! I'm in the process of fixing this now.

Ok, all done! Now, if anyone encounters any problems relating to the remote avatars please let me know. I can't help but think there must be some reason (unknown to myself) that the remote avatar code was removed from every single page when I installed a certain modification. But from some tests I've performed, nothing looks broken as a result of my changes.