Questions for Catspaw

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

I never thought I'd use this thread, but I do have a couple of questions.

First off, could you please provide a list of Admins, global mods, and regular mods, or however it works.

And secondly, can global mods see you if your profile setting is set to invisible?

Thankyou.
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Must... resist... urge to... answer.... :-#

Eh, WINDSHEAR might be on later, but Catspaw won't. Here's your answer. :D

Admins and Moderators can be found out by clicking on Mayoral Staff or Law Enforcer at the bottom of the Who is Online box on the index or in forums. During this term, all of the mods are global, save for the 3 listed in CCDS. Those mods have permissions there only, and the globals do not.

Second question, yes but not on the index. We can see you by viewing Who is Online and in the list of members viewing a particular forum that we are in. Admins can see you as hidden from the index page as well.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Yeah, I'm gonna miss seeing all the hidden members.. :(
...I hate marquees.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

As usual, my ToO twin beat me to posting stuff! ;) I just sit around and drink coffee and wait for her to do my job - it's a method that I highly recommend! \:D/ And, as always, Darcie's answer is very helpful. Thanks, Darcie!
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Thanks Darcie. ;)

It's just been too long since I was around regularly, so I've kinda lost a bit of the feel I had for this place. I don't even know who half the people are because of all the name changes. :mad:
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

One question that has been bugging me for a while is, how do I make my own avatar? or is it possible? I have an URL that I can use, but I have no idea how to get it to work.
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Angel12 wrote:One question that has been bugging me for a while is, how do I make my own avatar? or is it possible? I have an URL that I can use, but I have no idea how to get it to work.
A couple suggestions I have are to make sure the image is either a jpeg or gif file, and also that it is a 100x100 image. If both those things are in order, then you put the URL into the "Upload Avatar from a URL" space in your profile.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Thank you JesusIsAlive! It worked! (as you can see)

By the way, the picture is of an Angel flower, and since my username is Angel12 I thought it was appropriate. :D

Thanks again for the help,
Angel O:)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thaks for answering that question, JIA! \:D/ Your avatar looks very nice, Angel! Definitely appropriate! :D
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Sorry, just one more question....I was looking at the welcome/goodbye thread just a little while ago and I saw your comment about the election poll. I have never been here for an election (I think I joined either in the middle or right after one) so could you explain what happens for the elections? and when does the poll goes up?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The election process takes about a month altogether usually, and you might have already seen the special board that's been up this month for the elections! If not, you can see it by clicking here. There's a thread there that explains the election process a bit (click here to see it) but basically people who want to be the next admins of the ToO run in pairs, kind of like a president and a vice president, but we call them the mayor and chief of police. Their terms are four months long, with the new election happening during their fourth and final month of power. Candidates have to pay a fee by a certain date, and then a while afterwards, a poll will be globally announced. For this latest election, the polls will be up from June 1st to 3rd, with the results being released soon afterwards. People who will not be able to be around during the days that the poll is up but still want to vote can PM me their vote (an absentee vote - that's what you saw me refer to in the other thread) if it's necessary. For all the specific details of this election, look around the election board for yourself! \:D/

Let me know if you still need more information. :)
Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Post by Conniepaw »

*Me wonders why it takes EK so long to update the jobs*

:wink:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I think it's because he's most likely lazing on the beach on vacation at this very moment. :( J-man, however, has no excuses. ;) (Except that after four months, the poor guys are tired! I'm sure they'll update soon!)
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Okay, I feel really stupid asking this question, but what does pwns stand for? I know it means something like "rox" or sumpin.

(yes, I am a uneducated homeschooler... :anxious: )
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

It's a gaming term from way back. Pronounced like own, only with a p, pown. It means that you have "owned" the other person at the game. Totally beat them. It has evolved into slang for anything that is really awesome, or beats out all the competition.

Someone else here can tell the story behind how the "p" got in there. \:D/
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Catspaw wrote:I think it's because he's most likely lazing on the beach on vacation at this very moment. :( J-man, however, has no excuses. ;) (Except that after four months, the poor guys are tired! I'm sure they'll update soon!)
*cough* I happen to be the only one who ever does it. Gimme a break.. :noway:

How did the p get there? :-s
...I hate marquees.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I believe it was a typo in a computer game. Yet, I'm not completly positive. :anxious:
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

I believe it is a shortening of the word Pawn.

A Pawn is a piece in a chess game and can be used to describe someone who is used by someone else for their own gain, and has little power.

When one is pawned or pwnd, they are literally taken over by someone else.

Hence the equally used 'owned'.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

Aram Doyle wrote:I believe it is a shortening of the word Pawn.

A Pawn is a piece in a chess game and can be used to describe someone who is used by someone else for their own gain, and has little power.

When one is pawned or pwnd, they are literally taken over by someone else.

Hence the equally used 'owned'.
Perhaps that is so, as a chess term, but my understanding is that what happened to bring it into every day language is the computer game typo. It kinda got a following on the internet, and grew. But maybe it wasn't a typo, and it was just someone who got it from that. \:D/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I think actually Birdie's version of the story is more accurate. But I think it's one of those internet legend things that wasn't accurately documented, so the actual first use of it is not completely verifiable. But I have seen it described as a typo of "own" and not as a shortening of "pawn," despite the similarity in meaning. :)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon