Questions for Catspaw

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Catspaw wrote:
Woody wrote:Do Canadians really say "eh" often?
Talk about a stereotype, eh? ;) Yes, some of us Canadians do actually say "eh" a lot, myself included. It's just one of those expressive filler words that gets added to the end of sentences without me even thinking about it. Just one more reason to love Canadians! We're super fun. \:D/
If you want to apologize for someone, apologize for Justin Beiber \:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Marvin D. wrote:Set a reminder on your phone for next year, Grace \:D/
I already did ;)

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Catspaw wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:
bookworm wrote:
DanP740 wrote:
snubs wrote:How many times can a person be elected into ToO office?
It tends to be however many times EK's been elected, plus one.
This post would be humorous if it wasn't accurate.
It *is* humorous because it doesn't claim to be hard fact.
It is indeed humourous because it is not hard fact!
Sure it is. Last time EK ran he was over the limit, but it was raised in order to allow it.
This is the kind of limit that really should be updated periodically, since the intent is to make sure that one or two people do not monopolize the position of mayor/chief of police. We've run almost 30 elections already, so serving even 5 times wouldn't be a huge percentage of the entire history of the ToO. It is still entirely keeping with the intention of the rule to change it now and then. It made sense to change it a long time ago, and so it was changed. It will make sense to change it again in the future, because more time has passed and that is a significant factor for this type of rule.
Sooo... is it going to remain four? or five times?

EDIT: Just read your other post. So it will stay at four for now?
Last edited by snubs on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:This is the kind of limit that really should be updated periodically, since the intent is to make sure that one or two people do not monopolize the position of mayor/chief of police. ... It is still entirely keeping with the intention of the rule to change it now and then. It made sense to change it a long time ago, and so it was changed.
Yeah that's the official story, but the timing was pretty suspect. :noway:
Also in contrast to the intent of preventing monopolizing, EK is pretty much the only member affected either way, the limit has not been an issue for anyone else and no one else's candidacy has so far been influenced by the change. So in fact all the last increase has done so far is aid the expansion of a single member's monopoly... :-
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Woody wrote: If you want to apologize for someone, apologize for Justin Beiber \:D/
Well, it's an old video. There wasn't anything to apologize for back when it was made. :noway:
Graces4you wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:Set a reminder on your phone for next year, Grace \:D/
I already did ;)
Yay! \:D/
snubs wrote:Sooo... is it going to remain four? or five times?

EDIT: Just read your other post. So it will stay at four for now?
Yes, as I clearly stated in my post in the EK's election thread, the limit will stay at 4 for now. The point I was making in the post here is that even if it was 5, it stil wouldn't be an unreasonable amount, considering the long history we have on the ToO.
bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:This is the kind of limit that really should be updated periodically, since the intent is to make sure that one or two people do not monopolize the position of mayor/chief of police. ... It is still entirely keeping with the intention of the rule to change it now and then. It made sense to change it a long time ago, and so it was changed.
Yeah that's the official story, but the timing was pretty suspect. :noway:
Also in contrast to the intent of preventing monopolizing, EK is pretty much the only member affected either way, the limit has not been an issue for anyone else and no one else's candidacy has so far been influenced by the change. So in fact all the last increase has done so far is aid the expansion of a single member's monopoly... :-
At this point, EK is the only one who would be impacted, but that might not be true in the future, since we do have other people who had multiple terms, and you never know what the future might hold. Increases have been made to fairly uphold the intention of the limit. Refusing to update in a sensible way to block one person from serving in the future doesn't really seem like a great way to do something, and "monopoly" doesn't quite seem like the right way to describe EK's history with the ToO, considering that he has been a member of the ToO since the day it opened. He has served four four-month terms over the past nine and a half years. Is that a decent chunk of time? Yes. A monopoly or majority in any sense? Not even close. EK has had moments where he has spent lots of time on the ToO and no time on the ToO, but overall he has been instrumental to this board, and I would never want to underappreciate the fun and events and ideas and time and talent that he's brought over the years. I think EK could back me up when I say that we haven't come close to agreeing on everything ;) but it would be a shame to say that somebody interested in giving of their time and energy can never do that again because of the interest of enforcing the letter of the law over the spirit of the law.

I find it very odd that people who have an issue with some people serving a certain number of terms think that a valid alternative to the electoral process is me. Talk about a monopoly!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I only questioned because *I* wanted to monopolize the ToO.

*sighs* alas.. now I'll have to look for other alternatives..

Catspaw wrote:I find it very odd that people who have an issue with some people serving a certain number of terms think that a valid alternative to the electoral process is me. Talk about a monopoly!
That reminds me.. I don't understand why I get absolutely NO credit for Catsville. :x
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:it would be a shame to say that somebody interested in giving of their time and energy can never do that again because of the interest of enforcing the letter of the law over the spirit of the law.
I understand what you're saying here, but in this particular context I'm unable to take it seriously since the legacy of EK's last term is a blatant noninvestment of time or energy. :shrugs:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

snubs wrote:I only questioned because *I* wanted to monopolize the ToO.

*sighs* alas.. now I'll have to look for other alternatives..

Catspaw wrote:I find it very odd that people who have an issue with some people serving a certain number of terms think that a valid alternative to the electoral process is me. Talk about a monopoly!
That reminds me.. I don't understand why I get absolutely NO credit for Catsville. :x
The time for your monopoly has not yet begun. O:) Be patient. :shame:

Now I'm picturing a Snubsopoly game available at fine retailers everywhere! \:D/

Next time you want credit, put your name in the title. ;) I think that it's become more of a general term for "Catspaw is the admin instead of elected people" instead of just specifically referencing that deliciously evil (yet far too short) time in the ToO's history that you do indeed deserve lots of credit for. :yes:
bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:it would be a shame to say that somebody interested in giving of their time and energy can never do that again because of the interest of enforcing the letter of the law over the spirit of the law.
I understand what you're saying here, but in this particular context I'm unable to take it seriously since the legacy of EK's last term is a blatant noninvestment of time or energy. :shrugs:
It's always too bad when somebody is elected and then spends much less time than anticipated fulfilling the role they were elected to, but this has happened multiple times during the ToO's history. That doesn't mean that the person can't run again when life looks different for them, and it's still up to voters to decide if they think the potential benefits outweigh the risks if a person in that situation does decide to run again later. That still doesn't negate all the other great stuff that EK has been a part of on the ToO since April 1, 2005.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, I was about to make an edit with a preemptive clarification that I didn't mean that as an attack, I just found it to be a humorous juxtaposition.
You're too quick on the click.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Catspaw wrote:I think that it's become more of a general term for "Catspaw is the admin instead of elected people"
I don't understand why every election now people want the option of you being the sole admin. An EVIL DICTATOR ADMIN at that. Image

*whispers* I think you have bigger problems with these townspeople than you realize. Image
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I think we might have a slightly modified version of Stockholm syndrome o:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay for Sweden! \:D/
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

I'm wondering, can I use 2 or 3 avatars from the gallery and put all 3 (or 2) in my signature? Or will the system not accept that?
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't think it will let you put the avatars side by side, and it will be way too big if there's three avatars underneath each other in a signature. Your signature has a lot of text and already takes up an above-average amount of space. If you have found avatars that you really like that you want to have in a signature, see if somebody will combine them into one image for you, with those 2 or 3 avatars side by side, so it will still fit the size requirements.
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

Can we add interest to the bank? (If that mean we get more money.. If not please don't..)
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I think interest has always been broken.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, unfortunately, that isn't an option right now. If memory serves me correctly, there isn't something compatible that could be used, or it would take a ton of time and/or knowledge that our experts just don't have. So we live without interest.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

The option is on the ACP... Do you mind if I experiment with it a bit?
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Check with Darcie first, since she is the one who did the conversion work when we upgraded a few years ago. She should be able to tell you if there is any point to that or not.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The option is there, but it doesn't have any affect. That's why it was just completely disabled, so people stopped wondering why it said they were getting X% and nothing ever happened.