New Economy Plan!

The ToO is going to be fixed!

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

New Economy Plan!

Post by EK »

Hey guys! I'm doing the first major change we're making to the ToO. So get ready to be hit with some bricks- or open a box of joy, it always depends on how you take it, but believe me- this change is necessary.

SEKHA's Original Plan
Our original plan entailed making a secondary currency for the ToO called tickets- and over the course of our term we would slowly move it over to be the new cash. Simple enough right? It would essentially defeat inflation because people would gain the currency through posting not through jobs.
It was a great plan but as soon as I received admin powers I went and checked around the cash system part of the admin panel and...
Why this plan doesn't work
I noticed on the admin panel that the shop only works with one currency- the one set to "USER_POINTS" on the database, now if I changed the Tickets to "USER_POINTS" and Cash to something else all Cash Data would be lost and would cause mass confusion on the ToO.

So with the Tickets not able to work with the shop- the plan was basically ruined because the shop is the main spending hub of the ToO and if you couldn't spend your Tickets they would be essentially useless.

Another drawback of the ticket plan was that we still had cash there- if the tickets became the main currency then the cash would become deadweight and there would be nothing to do with it.

So- with much sadness I started writing in my ToO planning notebook constructing a new ToO economy plan and the following is the product of many hours of brainstorming and discussion- so enjoy!

Yes- the first step to revival is a cash reset- as we stated during the campaign there are two ways to redo the ToO's economy-
  • Create a secondary currency and slowly make it the main currency. - This idea was kicked out because the ToO's system won't allow it.
  • Reset the Cash system and Create and new Job system- This was the only other option for a long term fix to economy, so we chose this one- but we think you'll be pleased with the outcome.
The main problem with the ToO is the job system, it gives out endless amounts of money with no end in sight, and people have had nothing to spend it on so they put it in their bank account where it gains interest and just gives them more useless money that they have nothing to do with.

So when some items come out it's more of a race than a delegation of money to get the item- this isn't fair we want the items to be something you treasure buying. And with the people running on cash overflow the high priced items are just like nothing to them.

When threads like "Get an HSE for 1$" start to appear you know that inflation has taken over and it doesn't reflect a real economy- so the only option is to reset the economy and start from scratch.

I know alot of you will be mad and won't understand the reasons behind this- but bear with me, we will have an answer to all your questions...has SEKHA led you wrong yet? ;)

Ah the job system- Trank implemented a rather awesome one back in the day but it only looked ahead for about a year or so- which after everyone had all the degrees they would be able to buy anything and would have money to throw around. So with the original job master Trent's blessing- I started in on the new job system revision. Here it goes!

We will have a new degree shop made up for this job system- sadly all of your pre-apocalyptic degrees won't have any effect because they were purchased with inflated money. :(

So here's the simple layout of our new job system.

First Job (no degree)- Base Salary: $100/3 days
High School (+$100) (Degree Cost: $2,000)- Base Salary: $200/3 days
Associates Degree (+$200) (Degree Cost: $4,000)- Base Salary: $400/3 Days
Bachelors Degree (+$200) (Degree Cost: $6,000)- Base Salary: $600/3 Days
Masters Degree (+$200) (Degree Cost: $8,000)- Base Salary: $800/3 Days
Doctorate Degree (+$200) (Degree Cost: $10,000)- Base Salary $1000/3 Days

After you get all of your education- you will then have the option of buying "Raise Passes" these passes will be pretty expensive but they will add $1,000 to your salary.
ex.
Raise Pass #1 (+$1,000) (Cost: $20,000)- Base Salary $2000/3 Days

This system will give people a good bit of time to save for degrees instead of just buying them right at the start.

Well guys that's all for now! But on Monday I will release three more points in our plan.
  • ToO Post-Apocalyptic Allowances
  • How the Entertainment District will play into the new economy
  • New features we plan to have with items
Post all your feedback and questions please!
Last edited by EK on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

I back your plan, EK, because I think it's best for the ToO. Rough, but it'll be enjoyable after it gets rolling, because the money will actually be worth something. \:D/
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

... Seems like a plan that could work. Rather interesting, though.

Anyway, very creative, guys. \:D/

Basically, this means that all the degrees that have been bought are now useless, right?
don't forget the rain.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Wow, was not expecting that. I see the logic though, great job guys!
Jtornado
Just visiting

Post by Jtornado »

Sounds reasonable. I'm glad I did not spend all my money on a "Agent's Degree" before you made this post.
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Jtornado wrote:Sounds reasonable. I'm glad I did not spend all my money on a "Agent's Degree" before you made this post.
It shouldn't matter, though, should it? If we're getting a new money plan, the money we have at the current money would also be changed, right? :-s
don't forget the rain.
Jtornado
Just visiting

Post by Jtornado »

Lucy wrote:
Jtornado wrote:Sounds reasonable. I'm glad I did not spend all my money on a "Agent's Degree" before you made this post.
It shouldn't matter, though, should it? If we're getting a new money plan, the money we have at the current money would also be changed, right? :-s
True... But I did not have to spend all my time earning invaluable money, for a outdated degree. Right?
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Lucy wrote:
Well he may want to go spend his current money on some collectible items before the reset takes place. ;)

(By the way the planned date for the reset is Friday October 12th- if no problems arise it may be sooner.)
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

ek wrote:
Lucy wrote:
Well he may want to go spend his current money on some collectible items before the reset takes place. ;)

(By the way the planned date for the reset is Friday October 12th- if no problems arise it may be sooner.)
So the money we currently have, will me nothing in a few days or so? Sorry I'm a little confused
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Birdie wrote:
ek wrote:
Lucy wrote:

So the money we currently have, will me nothing in a few days or so? Sorry I'm a little confused
Yes- by Cash Reset- we mean everyone's money will go to $0
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

ek wrote:
Birdie wrote:
ek wrote:
Lucy wrote:

Yes- by Cash Reset- we mean everyone's money will go to $0
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Will our tems bought with this old money be erased?
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Nope! All items will stay intact. But we will change the prices of them in the shop so you can't sell them back for tons of money. ;)
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

ek wrote:Nope! All items will stay intact. But we will change the prices of them in the shop so you can't sell them back for tons of money. ;)
Sorry, I know I'm bugging you, and I promise this is the last question, but will the degrees we have still count in the new system. I mean, giving you different values.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Oh boy, goes to buy all the dolls. :anxious:
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Birdie wrote:
ek wrote:Nope! All items will stay intact. But we will change the prices of them in the shop so you can't sell them back for tons of money. ;)
Sorry, I know I'm bugging you, and I promise this is the last question, but will the degrees we have still count in the new system. I mean, giving you different values.
Nope- the degrees will be nullified but under ToO allowances you will get a cash bonus if you had the pre-apocalyptic degrees. [More on this coming monday].

Also- Dan you can buy one of each doll but I just turned off mutiple item buying so you can't buy all of them. :P
Multiple item buying [meaning buying more than one of an item] will be back when the reset takes place.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Well, I have one of each now at least. \:D/ Augh, I should just donate the rest of my money to someone else. :anxious:
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

*Looks at Dan's large amount of money* ...

I'm liking this new plan. :anxious:
don't forget the rain.
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

I know the degree would be worthless, but I was trying to save up for a Biblical Ministry Degree just to have it for the fun of it....if for some reason I were actually able to buy it (though I don't think I'll have enough by the time the money is reset, but I'd still like to try anyway), would it be erased from our inventory completely or would it be like an item which we can still have in our inventory even though it would be worthless? (well...for the most part....but I don't really care about the cash bonus)

In other words, I'd just want the degree to say I have it and want to be sure it wouldn't be erased from my inventory completely.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Homeward bound wrote:I know the degree would be worthless, but I was trying to save up for a Biblical Ministry Degree just to have it for the fun of it....if for some reason I were actually able to buy it (though I don't think I'll have enough by the time the money is reset, but I'd still like to try anyway), would it be erased from our inventory completely or would it be like an item which we can still have in our inventory even though it would be worthless? (well...for the most part....but I don't really care about the cash bonus)

In other words, I'd just want the degree to say I have it and want to be sure it wouldn't be erased from my inventory completely.
Your old degrees won't be erased- they just won't have any use. So go ahead and buy that biblical ministry degree. :D
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

Ummmm...This means we'll lose all of our progress over the last 2 years.... right? If so, I really really really dislike this plan
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image