The Stock Market

What should we do about it?

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Should we put the Stock Market back?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 56

EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

DanP740 wrote:Okay, jobs and money are part of what makes this a town. If we got rid of them, this place might as well be called "The AIO Discussion Forum" or "Town Hall" :-

Try taking jobs and money out of a real town and see how well it works. :noway:
If a closed off town with their own currency has a jobs system that keeps making more and more money with none of that money being spent- then the people will have massive amounts of money and it becomes a problem.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the money system but if you look at the jobs system, there is a problem...where is all that money coming from? The board generates it without any money being spent by the users....

If the users aren't putting in as much money that is coming out it causes what is known as inflation. And therefore in a small economy such as this one...it can quickly tear the economy to shreds.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Let's raise taxes! \:D/ juice kid
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

We have taxes?
violet flower
Peace and love to youse all!

Post by violet flower »

The Odyssey Expert wrote:We have taxes?
A no, well at least not that I know of.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

That's my point.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
violet flower

Post by violet flower »

DanP740 wrote:That's my point.
You know that might not be a bad Idea like so much percent of your income each week. Well although that may be to complicated.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

So we're talking OPT (Odyssey Posting Tax)?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Would that include post earning? If so, someone could just collect a whole bunch of money, quit their job, stop posting, and not pay any taxes.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
violet flower

Post by violet flower »

The Odyssey Expert wrote:So we're talking OPT (Odyssey Posting Tax)?
No not really more like city living tax so much of your income from your job or something like that.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Or maybe if we figure out more stuff for people to buy that they want to buy, so that people are still spending regularly.
violet flower

Post by violet flower »

The Odyssey Expert wrote:Or maybe if we figure out more stuff for people to buy that they want to buy, so that people are still spending regularly.
Actually theres a lot of stuff I could buy right know but to me its to expensive I'd rather save some for if something that I really want comes out. But I would like to have some cheaper stuff that I could spend my money on.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

violet flower

Post by violet flower »

ek wrote:...
What was that for??
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

violet flower wrote:
ek wrote:...
What was that for??
It's an ellipsis.

"Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from Greek ἔλλειψις 'omission') in printing and writing refers to a mark or series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word or a phrase from the original text. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis)." - From the evil Wikipedia
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I agree that there should be some form of tax. It may be too complicated for a site such as this, however think about it- in the real world, everyone has to buy food, clothing, pay taxes, housing payments, pay for electricity, phone, internet, etc.. I think the biggest thing that has been overlooked on this forum is, if no one has a life, where is everyone living :(. Maybe we could put some houses on here or something, kind of like how everyone gets a job :-?. I don't know, I don't even think I'm making any sense, so just ignore me =; .
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Iron and Light wrote:I agree that there should be some form of tax. It may be too complicated for a site such as this, however think about it- in the real world, everyone has to buy food, clothing, pay taxes, housing payments, pay for electricity, phone, internet, etc.. I think the biggest thing that has been overlooked on this forum is, if no one has a life, where is everyone living :(. Maybe we could put some houses on here or something, kind of like how everyone gets a job :-?. I don't know, I don't even think I'm making any sense, so just ignore me =; .
I've thought the same thing about houses! I think there should be houses... but, then again, there is probably not a mod for houses...
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Iron and Light wrote:I agree that there should be some form of tax. It may be too complicated for a site such as this, however think about it- in the real world, everyone has to buy food, clothing, pay taxes, housing payments, pay for electricity, phone, internet, etc.. I think the biggest thing that has been overlooked on this forum is, if no one has a life, where is everyone living :(. Maybe we could put some houses on here or something, kind of like how everyone gets a job :-?. I don't know, I don't even think I'm making any sense, so just ignore me =; .
Your sense is made.

But the fact of the matter is...those elements just cannot be emulated on this site. With no expenses the job aspect causes inflation. And since expenses like you described cannot be emulated the obvious course would be removal of the jobs system, unless the admins can cook up some brilliant scheme that is the only way I see around inevitable economic doom. (and making more items to buy is definitely not a workaround...it is a temporary fix at best.)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I know this will probably never happen, but wouldn't it be cool if we had an animated chat room? You know, we could 'buy' avatars that can walk and maybe do actions, and then we could talk to eachother via speech bubbles? I know it's nearly impossible, but it's a nice thought...
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

ek wrote:
Your sense is made.

But the fact of the matter is...those elements just cannot be emulated on this site. With no expenses the job aspect causes inflation. And since expenses like you described cannot be emulated the obvious course would be removal of the jobs system, unless the admins can cook up some brilliant scheme that is the only way I see around inevitable economic doom. (and making more items to buy is definitely not a workaround...it is a temporary fix at best.)
I agree that making new items would not help at all. People are not forced to buy items like they are forced to pay taxes and the like.

Yes, it would probably be very complicated to emulate those type of costs on a website such as this. Maybe something could be done, though... it's just something to think about.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The Odyssey Expert wrote:I know this will probably never happen, but wouldn't it be cool if we had an animated chat room? You know, we could 'buy' avatars that can walk and maybe do actions, and then we could talk to eachother via speech bubbles? I know it's nearly impossible, but it's a nice thought...
That would be spiffy...very Gaia online-ish....but spiffy the same....perhaps if we had some crazed flash coder as a member here it would be plausible.
(also....relevance to stock market/economy?)

I&L: Yes, something could be done....(baleet the job system perhaps? :P)