The Amazing Race: (Leg 1)

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

That wouldn't make sense because as far as I know, bookworm hasn't figured it out and neither have I.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

Sorry, I should be more clear. Try the second pages of topics.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Monty wrote:Try the second pages of topics.
Like I said, as soon as I got the clue I looked through the first five pages in their entirety.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

bookworm wrote:
Monty wrote:Try the second pages of topics.
Like I said, as soon as I got the clue I looked through the first five pages in their entirety.
Are you sure you're understanding correctly?
Not the pages that list the topics, but the second pages of the topics themselves.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes, of course. I opened every topic on each of the first five pages, then realized if this was how it was going to be I don’t have the time for it.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

bookworm wrote:I opened every topic on each of the first five pages,
Then you didn't look at the second pages very carefully... ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh!
No, of course not. No hidden clue contest has ever been like that, except that deceptive one WW did.

Edit:

I have now opened the second page of every topic on the first five pages, and once again don’t have time for this.
This used to be my favorite kind of event. >_>
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

bookworm wrote:Oh!
No, of course not. No hidden clue contest has ever been like that, except that deceptive one WW did.

Edit:

I have now opened the second page of every topic on the first five pages, and once again don’t have time for this.
It wasn't too hard for me....
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

bookworm wrote:Oh!

Edit:

If you went through every post on the first 5 pages you missed it somehow.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

>_>
Of course I didn’t go through every post. Again, no contest has ever been like that before.
It takes enough time to pick through each topic in HT without a guide to direction, why would I have thought to do something that would take even more time, going to the second page, and even more time, scrolling through that second page, when there was no reason to think either would be required.
The expectations should be laid out much more clearly when things deviate from the norm like this.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I didn't realize there was a "norm" different than this....I was expecting to have to search through posts, almost like Needle in a Haystack contests, except we got a clue. What other contests are you referring to and what did you expect? :-k
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Every hidden object contest that I can recall has had these two features in common:
1) A clue that actually points you to something. Harlequin Theatre is not a clue, there are 2,800 threads in it if my math is correct. A clue is some hidden, or maybe obvious, keyword that gives a hint as to something about the particular thread you’re looking for, such as the subject, so you don’t just wade through the threads at random which, obviously, takes days. You need some kind of direction. Sometimes, if you understand the clue, it’s even something you can search for. But at the least it’s something you keep in mind to help narrow down the threads you choose to check.
2) The image is in the first post on the first page. This is so you know immediately whether you have found the right thread or not so you don’t have to spend any more time checking, you can go back to searching. Because usually, you’re not looking for a particular post, just a particular thread, as was the case here.

I remember the needle one you mention, and while it is true that one was in a certain post you had to find, that was a different kind of contest. In that one we were looking for a post, and there was a guiding clue. If you knew what to search for you could narrow down the posts to check, and find that one quite easily. It would have been another thing entirely if you had just said ‘it’s in this forum’ and had to scroll through every post of every thread.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

And I do apologize if the event I came up with does not fit your expectation of events of this nature.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Monty wrote:And I do apologize if the event I came up with does not fit your expectation of events of this nature.
For some reason, I find this oddly humorous.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Marvin D. wrote:
Monty wrote:And I do apologize if the event I came up with does not fit your expectation of events of this nature.
For some reason, I find this oddly humorous.
I think it's meant to be?
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I can now declare this leg officially over! Now, I have a small announcement to make.

After a mighty battler, Laura Ingalls and Tikvah, you were the last teams to reach the end of the leg. This, I am sorry to say, is an elimination leg.

However, two teams, Bren and Samantha, and Marvin D. and Jimmy Barclay, have voluntarily quit the Race. Therefore, you will stay in this game to see another leg. Unfortunately, at some point during the next leg, you will have to complete a Speed Bump, a task that your team, and only your team, will have to complete.

With that said, your next leg begins now.

Teams, you must design a tasteful set consisting of an avatar, a signature, and a slogan to fit your team. An independent adjudicator that I have chosen will judge your entries based on the following criteria: Creativity, the overall Professionalism of the end result, and the Time it took you to finish following this post. You have 72 hours. Good luck.

P.S. Also, for bonus points, your team can wear your avatar and signature, and display your team slogan underneath your image as well.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Monty wrote:After a mighty battler, Laura Ingalls and Tikvah, you were the last teams to reach the end of the leg. This, I am sorry to say, is an elimination leg.
If it wasn't for a slight mix-up, we would have been first. :( We thought our entry had been submitted a full week earlier....ah well. ;)

Onward ho! \:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Is this an elimination leg, or are all legs elimination unless otherwise stated?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

The last team to check into the pit stop may be eliminated.

Just like the show, you will not know until the last team crosses the finish line. I can tell you that we will not be having a double elimination leg due to two teams leaving during this last one.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I thought you had learned after the Bible Bowl that quality is not a fair criteria...