Who Is Balaam's Friend?

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Monty
A great mapmaker

Who Is Balaam's Friend?

Post by Monty »

Maybe I missed something in my time away, but I keep seeing one phrase popping up thoughout the forums. This phrase is "Balaam's Friend". Here is some evidence for you to consider.
Jelly in the Bieber is a Dweeber thread wrote:Doubt it. He's successful because of his iconic image, to sacrifice his Balaam's friend-appeal production for artistic integrity would be career suicide.
EK in his signature wrote:Did you guys hear? Oxygen and Balaam's friend went out on a date... it went OK.
EK in CCDS wrote:Well, I'm definitely against people discriminating which I'm Balaam's friend that's what Chick-Fil-A does towards gay people in a hiring environment, but when I worked there for a year or so as a teen they brought in a bunch of illegal immigrants at night to do all the cleaning... now I'm sure that's not what all of them do but, wow... they kind of dropped a level in my eyes as a corporation to me after that one...and a little more after this one.
Jelly in CCDS wrote:I know that doesn't necessarily answer the 'problem', but that's because trying to pin our perceived problems on God is an evil in itself. God doesn't need your justification. God doesn't need your logic. Is God actually omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient? I'm not qualified to say whether or not he is. An educated theologian could probably make sense of it all, which would probably be enough to satisfy the Protestant Balaam's friend. But here's what I know beyond a shadow of a doubt; God is love, and love is greater than all evil. And believe it or not, each one of us is built with the capacity to love unconditionally, and therefore we have the ability to change the world. The choice is in our hands
JJJJ in CCDS wrote:You're seriously going to say that natural disasters or indeed people being born with Balaam's friend disabilities (I once saw a documentary on a person born without skin, in Balaam's friend agony for his entire life and survived for about twenty years) or people not even born at all that those types of things are "inherent justice"? Seriously? Justice for what? Haiti's supposed "pact with the devil"? That's nice Pat Robertson.
Jelly in response to JJJJ in CCDS wrote:No. Stop making Balaam's friend about me, please.
Sherlock in CCDS wrote:I used to be a legal student (ugh ) but I don't have much to add other than that I agree with JJJJ - whenever you see the words "determine" or "declare" in the context of determining a person's status or constitutional standing outside the civilian court system, you can usually be fairly certain that it will be a unilateral decision made at the executive or military level of government. That bothers me because you'll tend to see a lot less transparency and most of the reasoning behind the decisions will be kept Balaam's friend.
Catspaw in an Announcement in the Steps wrote:Everyone,

I want to encourage you all to have a strong Balaam's friend for your account, in light of some issues that have come up lately on phpBB boards around the world.

darcie the wise tech person wrote:
It is like a spam bot, but an automated bot that tries to brute force Balaam's friend. It tries the most commonly used ones like 123456, Balaam's friend, qwerty, abc123.

A few people have reported getting a message saying that they have exceeded the maximum number of login attempts here on the ToO, but it's their first attempt. That is because of this bot. If you get the message, it means that it tried and failed. We want to make sure that it keeps failing, so please consider your Balaam's friend and think about whether it needs to be upgraded. Capital letters, symbols, and numbers all help make a Balaam's friend stronger, and of course you should avoid the obvious ones listed in Darcie's quote above.

I know that in light of what's going on, this doesn't seem as important, but please just take a few seconds to make sure your account is secure. Thank you.

Catspaw
I figure it's an administrative move to limit certain words from being used, but I can't figure out what they are. Searching for "Balaam's friend" does not yield many useful results. Anyone have any help?
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's one of the auto-censors.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Why on earth did Catspaw need a filter in that post? :hilarious:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

bookworm wrote:It's one of the auto-censors.
Yes, but what is it censoring, and why did I never see it before until a few days ago?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:Why on earth did Catspaw need a filter in that post? :hilarious:
I assume an accidental space in 'password'?

Edit:

What in the... world?

-- 15 Jul 2013 12:31 pm --

password
asset

Okay... someone misused an asterisk in the censor.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

So, this is a test post. I will be leaving it up to help ascertain what is going on.

Password (Password)
Secret (Secret)
Mental (Mental)
Physical (Physical)

Code: Select all

P a s s w o r d
is definitely one of the words...
Last edited by Monty on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I know what's going on. An asterisk has been misplaced in the censor, causing the entire word of any instance of the letter combination in question to be flagged as an offending word.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

Hadassah
Pass
Crass

Which would explain why
H a d a s s a h
P a s s
and c r a s s

became what they are. Oh! It makes sense now.
Last edited by Monty on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

To answer your question while we wait for this to be addressed:

Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

bookworm wrote:To answer your question while we wait for this to be addressed:

Yeah, I figured it out after I figured out which particular sequence of letters was trying to be avoided.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's never raised false flags like this though, so it was clearly altered recently for some reason.

...Or the censor has become self-aware and is trying to slowly censor us one word at a time. :anxious:
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I actually prefer the second option in some macabre way...
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I'm guessing AE probably went psycho on the censors after the recent incident in Bad Company. ;)

But I don't want to a s s u m e!
Last edited by jelly on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

Considering the number of posts by you that are censored, Jelly, I find that ironic.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Hey, don't jump to conclusions now.. let's make sure to properly a s s e s s the situation.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I don't know, the m a s s of evidence seems overwhelming.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Just because I have a lot of censored posts doesn't make me the a s s a i l a n t. :noway:
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Best. Thread. Evar.

I will never look at the story of Balaam and his friend the same way >.>
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

AE should just replace the 'Balaam's friend' censor with 'SCREAMING BLASPHEMY'. \:D/
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

^truth.

Besides, we all know what they say about when you a s s u m e \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer