ToO Academy Awards?

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I will get to work putting the final details of the process together and determining what the award categories will be and who will make up the Academy. I’ll make a new thread when it’s all ready to officially kick things off. Thanks for the support everyone, this is going to be great. :)
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

And I fourth your second third!
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

~JCGJ~ wrote:Academy members should get colored names, :mrgreen:
No. We have enough colored names around here.

I feel like this is just like the Topic Hall of Fame...only more involved and.. better.

I think the THoF should be replaced with the ToO Academy Awards. :-
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I think the THoF should be replaced with the ToO Academy Awards. :-
This is definitely not going to happen. The Academy Awards are limited to threads from each calendar year, meaning the many wonderful threads of the past have no way of being honored. That’s where the HoF comes in. They’re similar at heart, but vastly different in practice. They have different requirements because they have different purposes.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Then why not change the HoF to be more like sports halls and make it say a minimum of a year old?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Because there is enough trouble filling ballots as it is, why would I make it more restrictive? I don't see a reason for that anyway.
(I know what you mean; the Academy is for this year, so the HoF can be for after, but it can already function like that the way it is. There isn’t a reason to make it exclusively a year or older when a month or older accepts those threads already. Not all, possibly not even many, threads will quality for the Academy Awards. The HoF is for those too, so a longer restriction period is an impractical idea.)

Edit:

Oh, in additional response to snubs, I didn’t point out possibly the most important reason this isn’t replacing the HoF. The HoF is a public vote by the community to make sure the one they want wins. Threads can be suggested by the public for the Academy Awards, but the actual nominations and the ultimate winners are decided by the members of the Academy so it may not always be a result the public likes. (Just like the real Academy Awards.)

Another reason is that because the Academy Awards have categories threads must fit into, it’s harder to get a nomination. There’s a much looser time period restriction, but a much tougher content one. In the HoF threads are nominated simply because they stand out in general, here they have to stand out for a specific reason.

So the two events are complimentary, but they are also entirely separate and one cannot just replace the other.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Ooooh, okay. Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

IrishTiger wrote:Ooooh, okay. Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense.
Yes, thanks for differentiating that.

But really, the HoF doesn't actually have topics by popular vote.. because only like 4-8 people vote. >_> So a topic will get voted in by like 3 people.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

No it’s not popular vote, but it is a majority vote. I can’t help it if people don’t care to participate. And in reality, if someone doesn’t care to participate than the HoF isn’t for them in the first place, so it actually is a popular vote amongst the members it concerns.

But yes, the Academy Awards should, hopefully, have a broader appeal and more participation.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

And perhaps, because the vote only happens once a year, it could be made into a global announcement or whatever.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

There isn’t a vote, that’s what I’ve been saying. The Academy decides the winners and then they will be announced at a ceremony.
Limerick
OK

Post by Limerick »

This really sounds quite interesting, I am quite interested in seeing what you come up with, bookworm :) I think you have things pretty well under control, but if you need any help, just ask!

The more I think about it, the more fun this sounds :)

How will the Academy be chosen?
Will you come up with the categories or will the academy?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

*posts in thread so it appears in his View Your Posts page*
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Limerick wrote:How will the Academy be chosen?
I pick them! :x It’s not a favorites game though, I’m putting careful thought into it. I’m looking for people who are reasonably active (since their first purpose is to always be looking for potential nominees) and who I know can be objective (since their second purpose is to determine nominees and winners) and have a good perspective so they are able to determine nominees and winners. The selection process is still ongoing, but it’s almost done.
Limerick wrote:Will you come up with the categories or will the academy?
The Academy was going to, with input from the rest of the community, but I actually came up with enough myself during the final brainstorming. They will be announced when the Academy is.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

This sounds like a really neat idea :)
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Yes it does :)
I am confused
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

snubs wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:Academy members should get colored names, :mrgreen:
No. We have enough colored names around here.
Says the girl with a colored name. #-o :mrgreen: \:D/

-- Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:59 pm --
bookworm wrote:There isn’t a vote, that’s what I’ve been saying. The Academy decides the winners and then they will be announced at a ceremony.
Well then the "ceremony" should be a global announcement (or if it's in a chat room, someone should post a transcript, which should be a global announcement :mrgreen:).
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: