Moosewood 2.0 Term Ending Announcement

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Moosewood 2.0 Term Ending Announcement

Post by Woody »

Well, it's no secret that KF and I like to go out with a bang. Last time we pulled a joke about staying for another term and increased the signature size limit. This time, we have another little surprise(Two, actually). Admittedly these changes are not as significant as the signature size limit, but still things that many have requested.

For the first surprise, I returned the bank name to "The Vault of Otters" *glares at KF*

But the main change we are making for the end of our term is....
Reactivating the "Users with the most money" boxes!

A feature that has been inactive for many years*, this is something that has been requested quite a few times, and never protested**, so we thought it would be a nice small change to make, to leave a reminder of our term on the board. :) So, from now forward, the 10 richest bankers and the 10 users with the most cash will be displayed on their respective pages.

Thank you for a wonderful term, I've truly enjoyed being your Mayor***, and I hope to serve this community again soon, if not this coming term, then in another. Again, thank you.

Your Mayor,
Woody

*Possibly never active at all. bookworm?
**Of course, if there are any objections, the change can be easily reversed.
***Even through the Amazing Race.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Thanks for all your time and effort Woody and Knight Fisher. =]
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

Wow, think just got hardcore! Nice banner snubs...
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I like this change. :yes: Now we can know that the top three bank holders own about 50% of all the cash in the bank.

And the otters got their bank back! \:D/
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm also a fan of that feature being added back. *nods* \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

Hey Im #9! I actually had to deposit some of my cash on hand intentionally to gain that spot. So no one take it.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Woody wrote:A feature that has been inactive for many years*
*Possibly never active at all. bookworm?
Fact checker reporting in.
It would appear that this feature, though available, was in fact never activated on the current forum. There is confirmation that it was left disabled at the launch of the phpbb3 conversion, and I am unaware of any mention that it was ever turned on subsequently. If it ever was, it was certainly only for a short time before being deactivated again, as whenever this subject has been brought up it has been in context of it being off and questioning if it should be turned on.
Whether this was ever on for us, going back to the original message board, I can’t say. Did the phpbb2 vault even have such a feature? I don’t think it does on the Stock Market site.

Woody wrote:this is something that has been requested quite a few times, and never protested**
This is utterly false. The subject was discussed in this thread and raised a great deal of opposition. Reasons spanned from people simply not thinking the information was necessary to having real concerns over the effect it would have on the community. I have singled out some posts from the discussion below; you can read through the thread to see the full range of responses.
darcie wrote:EK and I decided during beta testing before converting the board to disable this feature. We felt like having a ranking of users with the most cash would be in contrast to the overall spirit of the board and its members. Not only that, but one user with way more ToO cash than others was what led to Shadowpaw creating the Fenix/Gabe story arc and stock market dissolution in the old board.
Laurie wrote:I honestly don't care who the richest ToOer is, nor do I want to know. It is none of our business anyway.
Musical Shutterbug wrote:Besides, it will only increase competition between ToOers. We already have too many people who are focused on their post count. Do we need to make them start thinking about their money, too? :(
The Top Crusader wrote:No, because then people with a lot of money would be annoyed by candidates running for office trying to raise money, or something. \:D/
Full disclosure: I actually support the enabling of this feature myself, I bring the above up simply to correct inaccuracies as is my function here.
I personally see no reason not to have this turned on since the information can be easily found elsewhere even if it is off. If this was revealing something that otherwise would have been a secret, then I’d have to think about it, but as it is a user’s cash on hand and cash in the bank are displayed right on the profile. So you can already get the figures yourself and do manual comparisons, all this feature does is do the tallying for you.

I am annoyed by the choice of words the list uses though, it is confusing. “Users with most cash” doesn’t actually show the users with the most cash, those are the users that have the most cash on hand, or not in the Bank. Likewise “The richest Banker” only takes into account cash in the Bank, so it’s the users who have the most cash stored there, they may not necessarily be the richest overall.
What I would find interesting is a list that combines cash on hand with that stored in the bank so we have a picture of figures that actually mean something. Having the cash split up like this doesn't really tell us much of use. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be such a cumulative tally built in, so someone would have to do the number crunching manually. Which T.S. was awesome and did.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

bookworm wrote:
Woody wrote:this is something that has been requested quite a few times, and never protested**
This is utterly false. The subject was discussed in this thread and raised a great deal of opposition. Reasons spanned from people simply not thinking the information was necessary to having real concerns over the effect it would have on the community. I have singled out some posts from the discussion below; you can read through the thread to see the full range of responses.
darcie wrote:EK and I decided during beta testing before converting the board to disable this feature. We felt like having a ranking of users with the most cash would be in contrast to the overall spirit of the board and its members. Not only that, but one user with way more ToO cash than others was what led to Shadowpaw creating the Fenix/Gabe story arc and stock market dissolution in the old board.
Laurie wrote:I honestly don't care who the richest ToOer is, nor do I want to know. It is none of our business anyway.
Musical Shutterbug wrote:Besides, it will only increase competition between ToOers. We already have too many people who are focused on their post count. Do we need to make them start thinking about their money, too? :(
The Top Crusader wrote:No, because then people with a lot of money would be annoyed by candidates running for office trying to raise money, or something. \:D/
Hmm... I remembered things differently... *checks the post date on the other thread* Oooooh, that makes sense. I wasn't around when that thread was made/used. I'm thinking back to a more recent thread(made by Agent 86, I believe) in which there was no opposition. I'll have to look for it later. I will read through the linked thread as soon as possible. :)
bookworm wrote:Full disclosure: I actually support the enabling of this feature myself, I bring the above up simply to correct inaccuracies as is my function here.
I personally see no reason not to have this turned on since the information can be easily found elsewhere even if it is off. If this was revealing something that otherwise would have been a secret, then I’d have to think about it, but as it is a user’s cash on hand and cash in the bank are displayed right on the profile. So you can already get the figures yourself and do manual comparisons, all this feature does is do the tallying for you.
My reasoning precisely. :p If only TS had had this at his disposal when making his beautiful ToO cash pie chart. :inlove:
bookworm wrote:I am annoyed by the choice of words the list uses though, it is confusing. “Users with most cash” doesn’t actually show the users with the most cash, those are the users that have the most cash on hand, or not in the Bank. Likewise “The richest Banker” only takes into account cash in the Bank, so it’s the users who have the most cash stored there, they may not necessarily be the richest overall.
What I would find interesting is a list that combines cash on hand with that stored in the bank so we have a picture of figures that actually mean something. Having the cash split up like this doesn't really tell us much of use. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be such a cumulative tally built in, so someone would have to do the number crunching manually. Which T.S. was awesome and did.
Yes, I too was disappointed that it sorts the cash on hand and bank figures separately. :( I would be interested in working out the code for a display of the two figures combined, perhaps at a later date.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

We also did a change that people will have to look for to figure out. There may be prizes involved. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

Knight Fisher wrote:We also did a change that people will have to look for to figure out. There may be prizes involved. \:D/
A hint maybe?