New Default Board Style [Yes? No?]

Opinions and input are encouraged!

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Do you think we should create a new default board style?

Yes. [Explain your reason(s) below]
83%
No. [Explain your reason(s) below]
17%

Total votes: 24

~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I say the "Chat" link should be put on the main bar (like it is in Greyscale), instead of on the bottom (which is where it is on the current default style).
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

snubs wrote:
bookworm wrote:But this has still become an entirely different conversation. If we're looking to make a new site style, great. We change some designs and throw it up. But updating the phpBB is something else; it affects the actual function of the website itself. The styles just determine how the site looks. I don't know the specifics of what version we're at and would be going to, but is it not true that if we mess with the phpBB the site itself undergoes significant changes? I was under the impression the reason it hasn't been done is the mods (money, shops, inventory) will at best reset and at worst stop functioning completely with the new version?
Eugene will have to answer your question on this, since I'm not familiar with that area.
An excellent point you bring up there, bookworm. These are two separate issues and our main focus here is the style. And while we do need to keep in mind the eventuality of upgrading, we should take things one step at a time.

I'm not quite sure what version of phpBB we are currently operating on (probably 3.0.11), but if we move to the latest version, the biggest change for us would be the removal of MODs. As you mentioned, this would break all of the fancy features that we currently employ, like the points system, the arcade, shops, blogs, etc. :- But we could find alternatives to those or even translate those MODs to extensions. Besides that (and the addition of a notification system), most of the changes in this new version are behind-the-scenes and won't really affect how the board works for users.

All that is beside the point though. Our job is to focus on creating a new style! \:D/ snubs and I will *hopefully* be getting the ball rolling on that this week with the Eco/Tech Committee.

-- less than a minute ago --
~JCGJ~ wrote:I say the "Chat" link should be put on the main bar (like it is in Greyscale), instead of on the bottom (which is where it is on the current default style).
There are actually two chat links on the default style. One is in the main orange bar, the other is in the links section below that. :yes:

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Eugene wrote:snubs and I will *hopefully* be getting the ball rolling on that this week with the Eco/Tech Committee.
Yes, so everyone please feel free to join the Eco/Tech Committee faction if you would like to keep up and chime in with what's going on. :yes:

Eugene wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:I say the "Chat" link should be put on the main bar (like it is in Greyscale), instead of on the bottom (which is where it is on the current default style).
There are actually two chat links on the default style. One is in the main orange bar, the other is in the links section below that. :yes:
^This. However, I do agree with you, JCGJ. I hope to make the chat link more prominent on the new style. *nods*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Eugene wrote:
There are actually two chat links on the default style. One is in the main orange bar, the other is in the links section below that.
And it was added as a 'subforum' link in City Hall.
Limerick
OK

Post by Limerick »

Regarding the suggesting from SirWhit to possibly update for mobile. One suggestion I would make that is related and kind of the opposite, is to make Full Version play nicely with the headers.

For those on mobile devices that have a larger screen, we can elect to display the full site (which works better for me than the mobile on the iPad). This causes all links to get an &nomobile=1 and all is happy, full versions everywhere.

Except when you click on the header links. These links ignore the nomobile update and switch you right back into the mobile mode (makes getting to the census for instance a real pain). This then requires navigating a drop down menu to choose page numbers and generally takes forever in everything.

Though, posssssibly, if a really nice job was done with the mobile version of the theme, that wouldn't be an issue and I could just use the mobile :p

As far as the theme itself, honestly, not that bothered, the new header does look spiffy though, and yes, with some updated gradients and a new header alone, I think the site would look a whole lot newer.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Limerick wrote:Though, posssssibly, if a really nice job was done with the mobile version of the theme, that wouldn't be an issue and I could just use the mobile
Well, from the talk going on in Eco/Tech, it doesn’t sound like a mobile theme is actually intended to be released with this. What they mean is making the new style itself ‘mobile friendly’ their definition of that being ‘it adapts to the smaller screen’, so in other words, it’s the exact same style being displayed.

The issue you bring up is specific to the current mobile style, which is a separate template actually designed to be used on mobile devices.
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

bookworm wrote:
Limerick wrote:Though, posssssibly, if a really nice job was done with the mobile version of the theme, that wouldn't be an issue and I could just use the mobile
Well, from the talk going on in Eco/Tech, it doesn’t sound like a mobile theme is actually intended to be released with this. What they mean is making the new style itself ‘mobile friendly’ their definition of that being ‘it adapts to the smaller screen’, so in other words, it’s the exact same style being displayed.

The issue you bring up is specific to the current mobile style, which is a separate template actually designed to be used on mobile devices.
Anyone want to try their hand at a ToO app? If you give me a few months to finish saving for my new computer, I would be game!