New Default Board Style [Yes? No?]

Opinions and input are encouraged!

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Do you think we should create a new default board style?

Yes. [Explain your reason(s) below]
83%
No. [Explain your reason(s) below]
17%

Total votes: 24

snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

New Default Board Style [Yes? No?]

Post by snubs »

The Change Team wrote:It is pretty obvious that our default board style is really OLD and very outdated. I've been wanting to give it a face-lift for quite some time now, and I figured this might be the perfect time to get the wheels turning in giving it an update. (When I say 'update' I do not mean we'll be changing the existing style, but only using it as a base to create a new one. We would never want to do away with something that is so much a part of the ToO. Plus, we would like it to still be available for those who prefer using it. =] )

This is NOT a set-in-stone deal. It will all depend on if we get the okay (from you, and the higher ups) to do it, AND if we can get the people needed to actually make it happen. This project may even go beyond our term as well. That said, we cannot promise anything, however, we are very interested in making this a reality.

My idea was to truly make this a Town project. This is your board, and you, the people who make this place, should be involved in every part of something that will represent the ToO as a whole. I want to involve the whole ToO community, by allowing anyone and everyone to offer their ideas, opinions and abilities. So we'll be encouraging any comments and/or concept ideas you have to offer. =]
Before creating this thread I wanted to run it by Shadowpaw first (don't wanna get ahead of ourselves, you know). His response:
[color=#BF0000][b]Shadowpaw[/b][/color] wrote:I'd be totally fine with that, snubs!
So everything is a go with him. \:D/ We now just need your opinions and thoughts on the whole topic. Below are some questions that we'd like your input on. They can be answered now or later...or none at all, however we encourage that you please, at least, answer the first question.

- Do you think we need/should have a new default board style? (vote in the poll and elaborate your answer below.)

- What do you NOT like about the current default style?
- What DO you like about the current default style?
- What changes in the style would you like to see (if any)?
- Should we keep any of the original elements of the current default style? If so, what elements?
- How do you imagine the face of the ToO should look?
----What do you think the colors, graphics, etc should be?
- What should our banner/header look like/include? (concept art is welcome)

Feel free to ask any questions/concerns YOU may have below. We are eager to hear from you. :yes:
Also, if you have any experience with this sort of thing (and would like to volunteer), we'd like to know about it! Your experience and ability might be useful for this project. :)
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

Ummm well, I just wanna see some thing new for my default setting I guess.... sorta... I'm being real helpful to your cause right? ;)
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

You can change your own individual background under User Settings.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

Yes. I believe that this theme is outdated, and that sends a bad message across to potential users who are expecting a more up to date design.

-- Mon May 11, 2015 7:09 pm --

- Do you think we need/should have a new default board style? (vote in the poll and elaborate your answer below.)

- What do you NOT like about the current default style? (It looks outdated, from the header image, to the gradients, to the icons).
- What DO you like about the current default style? (I am rather fond of the general color scheme, just not the gradients).
- What changes in the style would you like to see (if any)? (Scrap the header, and replace it. Update the icons. Tweak the gradients a bit).
- Should we keep any of the original elements of the current default style? If so, what elements? (As previously stated, I think we should keep the general colors style)
- How do you imagine the face of the ToO should look? (I believe that it should be an up-to-date design, preferably optimized for mobile devices, with an overall polished look and feel).
----What do you think the colors, graphics, etc should be? (already answered in questions 2 and 3).
- What should our banner/header look like/include? (concept art is welcome) (I have no problem with keeping it the way it is, with maybe an updated AIO logo and character images).

-- Mon May 11, 2015 7:10 pm --

Oh, and I would like to volunteer for programming the new style, since I have experience with programming.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

- Do you think we need/should have a new default board style? Yes

- What do you NOT like about the current default style? I agree that it does look outdated. The imageset(especially the header and forum status images) should be updated, and a new color scheme may be in order(orange and purple do NOT go well together.) Also, it's too boxy. Some rounded corners would be nice.
- What DO you like about the current default style? Nothing in particular. Except that it uses the pre-relaunch character art. I like the old ones much better. :yes:
- What changes in the style would you like to see (if any)? Listed in the second question.
- Should we keep any of the original elements of the current default style? If so, what elements? Old character art, like I said.
- How do you imagine the face of the ToO should look? Modern, well designed, with mobile optimization.
----What do you think the colors, graphics, etc should be? I think we ought to use the AIO logo color scheme(yellowish/gold, red, and white)
- What should our banner/header look like/include? Updated logo, remove unnecessary links like ToO TV, and make the links like the arcade less prominent.

Also, I offer my humble services in the coding area. I took a college course in HTML and CSS last year, and I know some basic PHP. I've also worked a lot with phpBB, so I should be of some use to you. \:D/ I also have some experience with graphics, but I have a feeling snubs has that area covered. ;)
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

For reference for the people who don't use newToO:
(These answers reflect my personally opinions and to not necessarily reflect the opinions of the admin team.)

Yes, because the current one is kind of ugly, and looks dated. It also over emphasizes the AiO aspect of the ToO. While I definitely want to keep AiO part of the ToO theme, I would like it if the theme could reflect that the ToO is more than just a fansite.

I don't really like the colour scheme, the Jpeg artifacts in the header, and the extremely large birthday announcement.

I like the compactness, the large amounts of little links make most places on the ToO only a few clicks away.

I would like a new header image, and maybe a new colour scheme.

- Should we keep any of the original elements of the current default style? If so, what elements?
I really like the compactness and lack of nested menus. Now lack of nested menus, while nice for usability, do look ugly often. Maybe we should keep them out of the public face for the forum.

----What do you think the colors, graphics, etc should be?
Maybe while, black, blue, and brown. Maybe the art should be small town themed plus one or two AiO images?

I know HTML and CSS (no formal education but self-taught), but have no experience with PHP. My only knowledge of it come from reading its XinY page. I do have experience with FTP be though. However, it looks like other people here have more experience and more relevant experience.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

If the default style is changed, NewToO will still be an option for those who wish to keep it as their personal theme, yes?
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

YES

It looks like it was made in the 90's. Pixelated low resolution images, outdated style and layout, soon the Skype buttons will not work (check your email), and an overall bland feel. I would use the other ones, but all the good ones have leafs flying everywhere...

It has nostalgia values, and not too many bugs.

Better graphics, new smooth layout, nice buttons instead of simple purple links, more inviting feel. Kill the dull simple gradient...

The lack of bugs and ads.

Like a warm, friendly, and inviting town.

-What do you think the colors, graphics, etc should be?
We need our own logo. Some nice rich inviting colors. Maybe make it feel like an actual town... Does anyone know how to let users set a custom color scheme for themselfs? I like the idea of greens, blues, violets, and browns. However, Snubs would no doubt rather have pinks, purples, and oranges! If everyone could chose their own colors, no one would be sad.

- What should our banner/header look like/include? (concept art is welcome)
It needs to be a custom logo. A trade mark, minute the actual copyright. (unless catspaw wants to bother with that process of course) I rather like the idea of it looking like a part of a town, depending on where in the site you are. I will work on some concept art if I ever catch up with the writing work I have been assigned.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

~JCGJ~ wrote:If the default style is changed, NewToO will still be an option for those who wish to keep it as their personal theme, yes?
Yes. :yes: We wouldn't want to take away something that has been a part of the ToO for so long, and something that a good number of ToO'ers like and have a preference to. So, those who wish to keep using the original style can do so. :)
LIGHTNING wrote:However, Snubs would no doubt rather have pinks, purples, and oranges!
Hardly. :noway: I don't even know where you get that idea. I mean, PINK. yeah, right.

- Do you think we need/should have a new default board style?
Yes. It is outdated and could use the latest PHPBB update. I also find it particularly unappealing.

The header (it's very low quality and just... eh). I also don't like the layout, when you view a member's profile it is especially atrocious. It's like all split up and segmented and just weird.. there is also too much white.

Hm.. I don't really like anything about it.

Just a cleaner/smoother overall look that is less confusing to look at.

Possibly something slightly similar to the original header. Maybe. And definitely keep it on the AIO side of things while also reflecting it is more than just AIO.

Clean and aesthetically appealing. Something AIO related but also somehow incorporate a town feeling.

- What do you think the colors, graphics, etc should be?
I am unsure of colors at this point... but something that isn't white (totally).. but also something that isn't too dark.

- What should our banner/header look like/include?
This, I am still unsure about as well. But I was thinking that we should include the chat link and make it more prominent on the header.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Too many questions to answer! Dx I just think the current default looks old. =p
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

I had written everything out but then somehow I logged out so I'm just gonna say: Update EVERYTHING!!! ;) Have fun with that.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

@Sameria_ZX: Aw, noooo. xD That's okay though.
Penguin wrote:Too many questions to answer! Dx
No worries. :p Everyone can feel free to answer some or none. I just wanted to give people the option of giving their thoughts and ideas. :yes:
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

If you bring the default to the current phpbb version you have to do all of the styles since they are created differently and the 2 won't be compatible
ImageImageImage
logos linked
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Bren wrote:If you bring the default to the current phpbb version you have to do all of the styles since they are created differently and the 2 won't be compatible
Yes, Bren, that is very true. And it's something that should to be done regardless of a new default. :yes:
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

This is a great idea! And one I've been thinking about recently, oddly enough. :-k

I like the current style, but mostly because it's familiar and feels like home. And in my opinion, the orange and purple is awesome. :- But I really want to change it up! (Especially for mobile friendliness.) Of course keeping this style around as a user option would be fantastic too (and completely possible, with some tweaking).

Anyway, snubs asked me to be involved with this since I've had a fair amount of experience with both web design/development and with phpBB. Maybe we should start a development faction for everyone who would like to contribute to this? :-s

Regardless, count me in! \:D/

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I say yes.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

My vote is yes, it's very old and outdated, when I first joined this place, it looked like it was inactive, because the board style hadn't been updated. However I completely sympathize with those who want to keep the old board style, and I think the "classic style" could perhaps be kept as an option for those who don't want it to leave?
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

For poetry's sake, it ought to be renamed "oldToO". :p
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I would support changing its name to "newToO (classic theme)" because then we keep the historical name but still mark it as the traditional theme.
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

Eugene wrote:Anyway, snubs asked me to be involved with this since I've had a fair amount of experience with both web design/development and with phpBB. Maybe we should start a development faction for everyone who would like to contribute to this?
Count me in! I will join, so long as I get payed of course... =;