Feedback for the Splitting Harlequin Theatre

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Feedback for the Splitting Harlequin Theatre

Post by Moontide »

In our platform, we promised to hold a series of referendums to split some forums. The second referendum I would like to hold is splitting up Harlequin Theatre. There are different ways we could do this. Here is my idea:
I would take the book club faction and make it a sub-forum of Harlequin Theatre. All of the book related threads would go into there.
I make a new sub-forum for things which are not movies, TV, books, or video games.
At this point Harlequin Theatre would only hold Movies and TV.
However, maybe we would want to split it by genre, but the categories would be far more fuzzy than sorting by mediums.

I would also like ideas for what to name the Other sub-forum, because I don't have any good ones.

This isn't the referendum itself, but an informal discussion about exactly what referendum we will have.
I want to have simple yes/no official poll to keep from splitting the vote, and make it clear what the board wants. This is why I am having a informal discussion, instead of having a complex multiple choice referendum.

So what do you guys think? What do you think of splitting by genre instead? Is a week too long to keep the poll open for, or not long enough?
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

I don't see a poll... I say two weeks is a good length.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

This is because this is the informal discussion. This is so people can make suggestions and share opinions. For example, if the people who use the Book Club don't want what they are doing public, then they can mention it here, and I might change the proposal to making a new sub-forum for books instead of reusing the faction. At some point I will make the official referendum, where people will vote on what they want.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have wanted a new subforum created for book threads for a long time, so I am behind that; but I don’t support having the Book Club Faction’s forum made that new area. This isn’t like the situation with the Gaming Den where we had moved that Faction public instead of creating a new one. We did that there, because the GD already did exactly what the desired videogame subforum would do, so it would have been repetitive to make a new one. But the Book Club is for focused reading and discussion, so it’s not really what we want in HT, that should simply be an area to hold the various threads on books and authors that get created.
So, yes to a new subforum for books, just no to having it be the Book Club Faction.

For the rest, I am in agreement with the proposal put forth in your platform thread. The HT root will be for screen media like movies and tv, we already have the GD for video games, we’ll have the new book subforum, and then the ‘Other’ subforum for music, stage, YouTube, etc.
I personally think as long as we’re breaking things up there are probably enough music threads to get their own section as well, but we can just sort them into other for now and see how it works out. We can always add another subforum later on if the need is felt.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

I have never been a part of Book Club Faction. Thus, if it really is something different, then I agree with you and support making a new faction instead.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah it’s supposed to be a book club, as the name implies. ;) Members read a book and discuss it. So, not just a place for ‘post about whatever book’ like a HT subforum would need to be.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I agree with everything bookworm said. *nods*

EDIT: Hey! can we call the new book section/subforum "Holstein's Books" \:D/ =p *nods enthusiastically*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

That is a good idea for the book faction!

As for the other forum, here are my ideas:

The fairground, because fairs have a variety on content.
The Otters' Other Outlet, because they already have a bank, they might as well get a sub-forum too, and Alliteration is Awesome.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

There's also the "The Little Theatre" ..perhaps?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:"The Little Theatre" ..perhaps?
That was my first thought, but I wondered if it seemed too limited to stage productions. But after more thought, I think it does fit in context. Harlequin Theatre, the professional establishment, is for the main media threads, the Little Theater here is then for various assortment of anything else people want to talk about, as the Little Theater of AiO is for whatever people want to put on that doesn't fit another venue. :yes:
The only problem would be that the Little Theater is a part of Whit's End, not the Harlequin, so it may be odd having that as a subforum here when we do have a Whit's End forum right next to it. :-k
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:"The Little Theatre" ..perhaps?
I think it does fit in context. Harlequin Theatre, the professional establishment, is for the main media threads, the Little Theater here is then for various assortment of anything else people want to talk about, as the Little Theater of AiO is for whatever people want to put on that doesn't fit another venue. :yes:
My thoughts exactly. :yes:
bookworm wrote:The only problem would be that the Little Theater is a part of Whit's End, not the Harlequin, so it may be odd having that as a subforum here when we do have a Whit's End forum right next to it. :-k
Again, this is exactly what I thought about as well.. which is why I didn't mention it when I posted about naming the book subforum. :-k
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

We don't have to put too much thought into it; it can simply be something like 'The Back Room' if we want something that fits within the Harlequin's context.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

We already have the gaming den in the HT, so "The Little Theatre" wouldn't be out of place.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Is the Gaming Den a Whit's End reference? I didn't realize. (But even so, that actually sort of goes in favor against the Little Theater. 'Gaming Den' is so innocuous it could be anything, it doesn't exclusively project Whit's End. The Little Theater on the other hand does; everyone knows what that is and where it is.)

Edit:

But it wouldn’t be terrible to have the Little Theater there though, really. If that’s the best fit we have. I mean, we’re going to have Holstein’s in there, which of course isn’t part of the Harlequin. These don’t have to be entirely within the structural context of Odyssey, we meld that guide as needed with logical grouping of content themes.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

Whits End did at one point have a gaming room. Remember the episode where Jason builds the bible video games, and Jack has him put them in a different room. I don't ever remember it being called "The Gaming Den" though. However, I was thinking more along the lines of that the Gaming Room isn't part of the Harlequin in Odyssey, so we wouldn't be breaking anything more if we put the little theatre into HT.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Well... how about when you make the poll (and globalize it).. lay out all the names we thought up thus far and let the people chime in?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Just from the few pages of threads I’ve sorted through so far I can say that adding a music subforum would be a very good idea. There are many threads on bands and cds, even more than I had remembered, and they’re getting awkwardly piled into the ‘other’ forum at the moment where it’s somewhat hard to identify them. If books get their own place I definitely think music should.

Other than that, I think this new structure will work out very well! :) I’ll let you know if anything else comes up as I’m moving the threads.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:Just from the few pages of threads I’ve sorted through so far I can say that adding a music subforum would be a very good idea. There are many threads on bands and cds, even more than I had remembered, and they’re getting awkwardly piled into the ‘other’ forum at the moment where it’s somewhat hard to identify them. If books get their own place I definitely think music should.

Other than that, I think this new structure will work out very well! :) I’ll let you know if anything else comes up as I’m moving the threads.
I say just keep it as is until everything sets in and then we can evaluate it further.