Vote for the official colors of the ToO flag!

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

What colors should the official ToO flag be?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:36 pm

#1. Original (dark blue and white)
7%
#2. Red and White
14%
#3. Purple and Orange
32%
#4. Dark Purple and Cream
32%
#5. Light Blue and White
11%
OTHER.. (post in this thread one of the following color combos below)
4%

Total votes: 28

snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Vote for the official colors of the ToO flag!

Post by snubs »

Now that we have the design of the ToO flag, it is time for YOU to help choose the colors. I have picked out 5 different combinations to choose from. I chose these specific 5 because each holds some kind of relation to the ToO (aside from the original). However, you may still vote for an "other" option if you don't like any of the top 5, but please post your color combination below (in this thread). Don't just vote "other" and not post what other colors you want.

#1. Original (Colors have no real significance.)

#2. Red and White (Red is for the color of AIO, and the red and white together because the ToO was started by a Canadian. There is also a full-time Canadian admin.)
The colors could also be inverted..
#3. Purple and Orange (Colors represent the default board style, "newToO", which was the ToO's original board style)

#4. Dark Purple and Cream/Gold (Colors are a play off the default board style's purple and orange)

#5. Light Blue and White (Colors go with the BlueToO board style)

Other.. (choose this option in the poll and post in this thread one of the following color combos.)
Blackish and Cream:

Blue and Yellow:

Teal and Dark Pink:

Off-white and Dark Purple/Burgundy:

Gold and White:
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Ooooooooooh you updated the flags. =o These look so cool.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I like the red and white (flag #2), it looks nice. The only thing is, I'm not sure it really goes with the ToO. Plus, it seems like the colors people generally default to are either red or blue, and I don't really like that.

I think if we really want to hold true to the ToO by choosing colors that have some kind of historical meaning (without going with #3) than I think we should go with the dark purple and cream/gold (flag #4). It is a much nicer version of the "classic purple and orange" (flag #3). And to me it looks "richer," like royalty. Unlike #3 which looks too bright and has kinda of a "cheesy" feel (in my opinion). I also think it really matches the ToO as a whole, not just the default board style.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I think if we really want to hold true to the ToO by choosing colors that have some kind of historical meaning than I think we should go with the dark purple and cream (flag #4). It is a much nicer version of the "classic purple and orange" (flag #3).
It's such a 'version' I had absolutely no idea that's what it was supposed to be until you said that. I'm glad you did because I was really wondering 'where did this random combination come from?' but if there was meaning behind it it should be more readily apparent. If you want to compromise by changing the traditional shades but keeping the idea that's totally great, but I don't think this one quite makes it there.

Also, the shades of the purple flag seem to be different than before. :-k
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:I think if we really want to hold true to the ToO by choosing colors that have some kind of historical meaning than I think we should go with the dark purple and cream (flag #4). It is a much nicer version of the "classic purple and orange" (flag #3).
It's such a 'version' I had absolutely no idea that's what it was supposed to be until you said that. I'm glad you did because I was really wondering 'where did this random combination come from?' but if there was meaning behind it it should be more readily apparent. If you want to compromise by changing the traditional shades but keeping the idea that's totally great, but I don't think this one quite makes it there.
You obviously have no vision, bookworm. What would you rather have? I can see adjusting the shades a tiny bit, but not by too much.

Also.. it clearly says above "(Colors are a play off the default board style's purple and orange)"
bookworm wrote:Also, the shades of the purple flag seem to be different than before. :-k
What purple flag? the purple and orange? The 3D flag effect makes the colors a tad darker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:You obviously have no vision, bookworm.
That is true, both metaphorically and physically I'm afraid.
snubs wrote:What would you rather have? I can see adjusting the shades a tiny bit, but not by too much.
Yeah it shouldn't need to be anything too major. We can cross that bridge if we come to it.
snubs wrote:it clearly says above "(Colors are a play off the default board style's purple and orange)"
Yes, and as I said that was when I understood. When you originally submitted the design there was not an explanation.
snubs wrote:The 3D flag effect makes the colors a tad darker.
I wondered if that's what it was. Whichever one of these wins we'll probably need one more discussion to fine tune the hues. None of them are quite where I would recommend, personally. But we need to get the scheme decided first before we can look at the shade.
Tikvah
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Tikvah »

Honestly, the red and white one reminds me of a Canadian Coast Guard ship.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Tikvah wrote:Honestly, the red and white one reminds me of a Canadian Coast Guard ship.
Yeah, and the inverted white and red reminds me of a crusader flag.
bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:The 3D flag effect makes the colors a tad darker.
I wondered if that's what it was. Whichever one of these wins we'll probably need one more discussion to fine tune the hues. None of them are quite where I would recommend, personally. But we need to get the scheme decided first before we can look at the shade.
bookworm wrote:I might favor lightening the shade of purple ever so slightly. The orange is perfect.
The purple is actually very close to the actual shade. Here are three different versions I did to compare..
Mine:

This is using the darkest shade of purple from the default.. which looks kinda blue to me.

This is close to the darkest shade and looks the most like the shade I chose.

This is a little darker than mid-range. Any lighter and it really looks horrific. I still think this is too light. *snubs doesn't like light purple*

..and now this orange is giving me a headache.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I agree that too light of purple doesn't look the best. And the shade of purple used determines what shade of orange looks okay. I'd have to mess around with it for a bit to find the look I'm looking for.
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

I almost like Dark Purple and Cream, but maybe if the colors were a little different. A little lighter purple, mainly.

I also like the red, as it looks so clean, but it does seem to be a bit unoriginal. =p Maybe we could do Red and Gold, like that AIO logo? It would have AIO significance...
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

snubs wrote:
Tikvah wrote:Honestly, the red and white one reminds me of a Canadian Coast Guard ship.
Yeah, and the inverted white and red reminds me of a crusader flag.
The red-white one is also the same scheme as the Swiss the flag.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I also like the purple and cream. I wouldn't mind it with a lighter purple as Oxar says.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The purple and gold/cream is my favorite so far. *nods*
Isaiah the Ox wrote:I almost like Dark Purple and Cream, but maybe if the colors were a little different. A little lighter purple, mainly.
Yeah, I agree that the shade could be lighter or more purple... or something. And maybe even adjust the cream/gold a bit too.

Here are three slightly different ones I tried out..

The two top ones have a different shade of purple and gold. The last one is just a different purple. I think I like the gold as is, any other shade is too yellow or too orange. So, the last one I think looks the best.
Isaiah the Ox wrote:I also like the red, as it looks so clean, but it does seem to be a bit unoriginal. =p Maybe we could do Red and Gold, like that AIO logo? It would have AIO significance...
I tried that... and it just ends up looking like McDonald's. =p :boohoo:

HOWEVER, here are two versions I experimented with..

I'm not a huge fan, but I think the second one looks pretty. And it's more original than just red and white.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I agree that the second red one is particularly nice.
(I still prefer the inverted red-white one though.)
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

The changing of the pictures to look like they're on rippling cloth has made me actually like the purple and gold, so I've changed my vote.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I haven't been on in quite some time, so I only recently heard through the grapevine that a flag was in the works... But I will say the first image that popped into my head when I heard about the flag was almost identical to #3.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

I have tremendous respect for the people of the vast Canadian nation, and their British forefathers who have stood with America in the fight for liberty at home and abroad.

That said, I lack desire to endorse a design even remotely suggesting the ill-advised Canadian flag if there's nothing British on it. The current flag was created by liberal seperatists who wanted to abandon their conservative mother country, and was not approved by the nation's Right.

-- Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:33 am --

Original flag above. Read more about it at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_C ... lag_Debate .
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Flag #3 and #4 tied. *falls over*

I vote for creating an in between flag that's in the middle range of both selected colors.
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

Dredge you take this way too seriously.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

f we can have this, I'd disregard my purple and gold vote for #3.
ImageImageImage
logos linked