I'm retiring!

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

I'm retiring!

Post by snubs »

I think I've done more than my fair share of "work" here on the ToO, and though I've enjoyed it and love doing things for your all's enjoyment, I decided it was a about time I retire my services. I have several reasons as for why, but I won't get into all that. I just wanted to let you all know, this means I may be leaving the ToO as a whole. For how long? I don't know, but it won't be forever. However, if I don't take time away, then I'll be cutting my time here significantly with posting.. or just by not running in elections and hosting events (I haven't decided yet).

Also, this is totally real, and totally not a joke. And I totally deserve all the money I currently have.

So, I'll leave you with this piece of advice:
Don't talk about how you care about something but take no action. Talk is cheap. Lead by example.
Last edited by snubs on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Ah, retirement. I've heard amazing stories about that from KF. Anyway, thank you for all you have done for the board over the last several years, it's greatly appreciated. You will be greatly missed around here.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Bye, and thank you for all that you have done for the ToO.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I hear good things about retirement! It's well deserved, snubs - enjoy some relaxation time and keep us updated on how things are going for you. :)
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

You have been of incredible service to the people of the ToO, snubs!

That said, something tells me this election is gonna be an uphill battle...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Not to hijack this farewell, but I think the next election will be just fine. Somehow it always works out, and you never know what the next 4 months might hold.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

Noooooooooooo snubs you can't :cry: We will miss you so :(. Does this mean you won't show up from time to time in the chat, either?
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:Also, this is totally real, and totally not a joke. And I totally deserve all the money I currently have.
I didn't think it wasn't real, until you said that. Now I'm not sure because that's an odd thing to say at a time like this. For a few reasons, for one because if you aren't going to be active anymore you don't need money, legitimate or otherwise. But I'm going to treat this as genuine because I have a genuine response to it. If it turns out to be a misdirection my sentiments will still stand.

I have been expecting this message to come for some time now. It is deservedly overdue. It has deeply impressed me how much time and energy you have put into community affairs through various events and other projects, but it also concerned me because undoubtedly you would eventually burn out. It's not your responsibility when you're a lay member to do so many things like that, but you did. Regardless of whether you were in office or not you constantly had projects in the works. Major events that you took on completely voluntarily, simply because you wanted to give the community something special. It was clearly done out of true understanding of how special this place is and a want to enhance it even more. As someone who documentedly cares about this site to a possibly obsessive degree, it truly warmed my heart to see someone else demonstrate the same level of genuine care I feel for it.

Retirement is a perfect term for where you're at, because as you said it doesn't mean you're necesarrily leaving. You're just backing away from being the full time community organizer you have been. You've more than earned that privilege, because you never had to do any of it to begin with. But I say with sincereity that the community is truly better for it that you did.

I would urge you not to step away from the ToO entirely as part of this transition. I don't think that's nescesary for you to get your relaxation. You should simply try experiencing just being a regular member for once. No pressure or responsibilities of managing anything; just drop by once a week to see what's up.
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

bookworm wrote: It has deeply impressed me how much time and energy you have put into community affairs through various events and other projects, but it also concerned me because undoubtedly you would eventually burn out. It's not your responsibility when you're a lay member to do so many things like that, but you did. Regardless of whether you were in office or not you constantly had projects in the works. Major events that you took on completely voluntarily, simply because you wanted to give the community something special. It was clearly done out of true understanding of how special this place is and a want to enhance it even more. As someone who documentedly cares about this site to a possibly obsessive degree, it truly warmed my heart to see someone else demonstrate the same level of genuine care I feel for it.

Retirement is a perfect term for where you're at, because as you said it doesn't mean you're necessarily leaving. You're just backing away from being the full time community organizer you have been. You've more than earned that privilege, because you never had to do any of it to begin with. But I say with sincerity that the community is truly better for it that you did.

I would urge you not to step away from the ToO entirely as part of this transition. I don't think that's necessary for you to get your relaxation. You should simply try experiencing just being a regular member for once. No pressure or responsibilities of managing anything; just drop by once a week to see what's up.

Ah, yes, this is what I was trying to communicate, but couldn't articulate it as well as bookworm. =P~
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

I'll miss you snubs. Thank you for everything you've done for the ToO as a whole as well as for me! You're an amazing person and I know you'll do amazing things! Just remember to stay strong and true with all that you do <3
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

RIP snubs. :cry:

I mean,

Bye snubs. :sniff:

I'll miss you and look forward to you coming back. \:D/
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Snubbys. :inlove: I'm gonna miss you. Stay in touch whenever possible, okie?
*insert provocative quote here*
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

I hope you stick around in a small capacity at least Snubberoo :) I will miss you! :(
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Welcome to the life. \:D/

Do pop in to post when you can. The whole thing is much more relaxing without worrying about the elections.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm sorry I never replied to this thread. =p

It was serious, but said in an over-dramatic fashion (for kicks of course \:D/ ). The leaving for good was a joke (as you probably guessed), Hehe. I'm not sure I would ever purposely leave. But I am retired!

Anywho, I appreciate and love you guys! :hug:
Last edited by snubs on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Does the ToO have a pension plan for it's elected leaders or Catspaw?

If not, we should totally make one. I could be the pension actuary. \:D/

Also, I'm glad you're still here, snubs. =]
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

In our current state leaving isn't really something to joke about.
Countess
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Countess »

bookworm wrote:In our current state leaving isn't really something to joke about.
Because the ToO is well... just the ToO, leaving isn't a horror either.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Countess wrote:
bookworm wrote:In our current state leaving isn't really something to joke about.
Because the ToO is well... just the ToO, leaving isn't a horror either.
I was referencing the lengthy discussion we had just had concerning the vital importance of retaining active members. The seriousness that was given the subject there and the nonseriousness of the same thing simultaneously given here made for a severe clash if you were following both threads as I was, that's all I was noting.