Questions for International Paperclip

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

What theme are you using?
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

This thread kind of reminds me of "Ask the Governor" in New Jersey (just south of me).
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

SimplyDredge wrote:is there a mechanism to expel bots from this site and would such a mechanism be an ethical solution to the glaring inaccuracies shown here?
SirWhit wrote:There's not much you can do about bots, and they don't harm the site, in fact, some are useful in that they index this site for search engines to aid discovery, so we don't see a need at the moment to reduce bot traffic.
You can't really prevent bots from poking at you, but you can prevent them from collecting information from what they poke at. Case in point this incident where we discovered that although the Google bot was frequently crawling the site it never relayed what it found to Google itself because we were never found by the search engine. The situation was remedied and we now appear as results.

So to answer the original question, no we can't do anything about the bots initially showing up which is what contributes to the inflated statistics. The most you can do is 'hang a sign' that makes them go away once they see it, but by then they're already here and their visit has been counted, so all it would do is prevent things like search engines from recording us which isn't what we want to do as SirWhit noted.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Connie G. wrote:Why do the round icons for some announcements turn gray once they're read, while others stay reddish colored?
Because sometimes (for whatever reason) announcements don't seem to register that you've read them so the icon still indicates that it's "new". I have no idea why, but it happens to me too (I use greyscale3.0).
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

Moontide wrote:What theme are you using?
Blue ToO
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Perhaps it's related to how if you read them through City Hall you can't post replies. Maybe you have to open them from an open forum to register as read. No idea if that's the case, it's just a thought.