Password Protection

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Password Protection

Post by Catspaw »

Everyone,

I want to encourage you all to have a strong password for your account, in light of some issues that have come up lately on phpBB boards around the world.
darcie the wise tech person wrote:It is like a spam bot, but an automated bot that tries to brute force passwords. It tries the most commonly used ones like 123456, password, qwerty, abc123.
A few people have reported getting a message saying that they have exceeded the maximum number of login attempts here on the ToO, but it's their first attempt. That is because of this bot. If you get the message, it means that it tried and failed. We want to make sure that it keeps failing, so please consider your password and think about whether it needs to be upgraded. Capital letters, symbols, and numbers all help make a password stronger, and of course you should avoid the obvious ones listed in Darcie's quote above.

I know that in light of what's going on, this doesn't seem as important, but please just take a few seconds to make sure your account is secure. Thank you.

Catspaw
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Ah, I was wondering why I kept getting that message! Thanks Catspaw.
I haven’t gotten it in a while, so I guess it gave up.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

So, is there any reason not to just stay logged in? Because that's what I do.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I do too ric, but occasionally I have to log in briefly in a different browser to use a feature that doesn't work with my main one. That's when I got it. ;)
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Here is a site I use to detirmine how safe my password is. The one I have now would take about 12 years to crack, so I think I'm okay. Here's the site for anyone: http://howsecureismypassword.net/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

password checker wrote:About 28 million years
I wonder how they determine the times.

Edit:

I just read their explanation. I don't know if that's an accurate way to determine password strength, but it's at least a basic gauge.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

password checker wrote:About 9 years
Looking at other peoples, maybe I should look into upgrading it. :anxious:
Helovesus
Green is good

Post by Helovesus »

About 8 thousand years
Lol.. I think I'll be safe. :-
Chinese food is God's gift to mankind. He knew we'd live in a hurting world, so He gave us something to console ourselves with.

SnC.
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Thanks for the warning, Catspaw! I was wondering what that login thing was about. My password will now take 53,000 years to crack. :yes:
mdetective12
I'm memorable

Post by mdetective12 »

About 4 days
...I better think about another safe password...
~AC~
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

lulz, mine said 4 days too. However I know for a fact that no one would ever be able to 'crack' my password. ;) It seems to measure password strength in the number of characters used, and my password isn't that long, so.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I had gotten that message a bunch of times because I often misspell my password... but I never got around to complaining about it. \:D/
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

(This is TGRC related)
I just went to that "How Secure is Your Password" site, and it said that "stiletto" would take only 13 minutes to crack! Eugene needs a better program!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I had gotten that message a few times but not recently. The last time I got the message I was able to log in without any problem, but that does not mean that I will be successful again. If I get it again I will change my password and see what happens. At least now I know that when it happens it is not me, my computer or my internet set up.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Holy cow! Mine would take less than a year to crack! I think I might change it.
he/him | a little stinker.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Johnaverywhittaker would take 3 billion years... if any wants to use it...
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Quick -- everyone try and hack my account! It will be cracked in 32 seconds. \:D/
minichef
Pink forever!
Pink forever!

Post by minichef »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:Johnaverywhittaker would take 3 billion years... if any wants to use it...
Why would we use that password, because everyone would then know our Password??
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Shadowfax wrote:Quick -- everyone try and hack my account! It will be cracked in 32 seconds. \:D/
So it's 7 letters long...
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Apparently mine would take 47 trillion years to crack... I suppose I'm safe.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother