Rate The Administration

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Does the ToO leadership system need to be changed?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:09 pm

Yes! - The system is not working!
26%
No! - Things are being run just fine!
74%

Total votes: 50

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

STRYPER wrote: Even though we have a lot of admins and mods here, most of them do not log on daily or several times a day. Bmuntz, David, Laura, dancer, Trent. They just don't post quite as often.
I just wanted to point out that I do get on several times a day....I just have cut down on my actual posting. I'm still around reading everything and keeping an eye on Finneman's. ;)

The incident in question was dealt with as soon as possible...I don't think we should blame the administration for what happened. Everything possible was done to try to get rid of it. Something like this shouldn't happen now with guest posting disabled - adding another admin is not necessary in my opinion. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

I think that a good job is done by the current system. It seems that the people here who are not Mayoral Staff or Law Enforcers keep an eye out and let the people in power know there is a problem. Isn’t that part of good citizenship?
Just my opinion

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I believe that it's not necessarily a solution to add mods. In the event that we need more mods, perhaps you could have plain-clothes global mods that are 'one of us', yet they have the ability to lock threads, delete inappropriate posts, and then send a reason to the official mod, so THEY can post the reason, even if the mod isn't able to be on there every second. (ladies and gentlemen... a run-on sentence...)

As it is, I see the system as pretty good as it is. Yes, I'm very redundant with phrases like these. :D
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Santapaw wrote:
Eon Spitfire EK V2.exe wrote:Anywho, I think that Bmuntz and Catspaw have been doing a great job admining the forums with great coolness and such. The number of admins should stay the same for now and I think you should at least wait until we have 500 members to even consider making another admin slot, the global moderators should be still put in place and everything because they can delete the posts and the admins can clean it up. Also, with the mayor and CoP I think you should give them a basic idea of how to run the admin panel Shadowpaw, phpBB2 has a BIG admin panel and with all the mods you have its probably even harder to navigate.
Catspaw and Bmuntz can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both have a fairly good grasp of the admin panel... in fact, I think the only person who had trouble understanding the whole thing was The Top Crusader ;).
While I would never say that I know everything about all the stuff on the admin panel, I believe that I know what I need to. :)

I regret not being on the ToO in its time of need, but I am on quite a bit - less now during Christmas, but I have tried to be available to the people as much as possible, and I read a large number of topics on the ToO. I hope that my efforts have been acceptable to the people of the ToO - I don't have much time to change anything now ;) but if anybody has some specific issues with what I've done as CoP, feel free to either post them or PM me. :)
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I know at another board I'm at, there is a little button you can push on each individual post to "notify a moderator" if it is inappropriate. After one person does it, all the other people to do it see a message "A mod has been notified" so the mod isn't getting 100 messages about the same thing.

Maybe something like that that would send an e-mail or something...
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

forever_faithful wrote:I believe that it's not necessarily a solution to add mods. In the event that we need more mods, perhaps you could have plain-clothes global mods that are 'one of us', yet they have the ability to lock threads, delete inappropriate posts, and then send a reason to the official mod, so THEY can post the reason, even if the mod isn't able to be on there every second. (ladies and gentlemen... a run-on sentence...)

As it is, I see the system as pretty good as it is. Yes, I'm very redundant with phrases like these. :D
we actually have two of those already...Eugene Blackgaard and The Top Crusader ;)

And everyone did a great job..as for my earlier post, I am sort of changing my vote to either a hidden admin or a global mod who can control temp boards as well as normal ones. All in all everyone has ben doing great and keep it up \:D/ =D>
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

Captain Jack wrote:Under one hour? That's really fast, unless you expect admins to be on every second of the day. I think everything has been going fine. A couple global mods wouldn't hurt, though.
I agree. I don't even know what happened earlier, but if it was fixed that quickly I am not upset with the administration. I'm not opposed to changes, but i am pleased with the way things are now.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I don't think anyone is upset with the administration. The only time I was ever upset with the administration was when Top kept changing my name. :noway:

No, just kidding, that was fun too. ;)

Anyways, my angle on this is only proposing that a few responsible people with the know-how be given power as insurance if anything ever were to happen. We can't garuntee that even if this is implemented said people would be on in the even something happened, but it would increase the chances of help.

This plan isn't necessary, and it really wouldn't bother me if it was rejected. It was just a thought, something that can only help the board, not hinder it. But once again, it's just an idea. If the people do not agree with it, that's fine by me. :)
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Is it possible the mods/admins come on the board as 'hidden'?

I think as long as they take a good look around the boards, skim through all new topics, check PMs, at least once every 24-48 hours things will be fine. I think checking PMs and emails should happen every 12-24 hours, more if someone has been causing just slight problems and is on a lot during that time.

I agree that we should have a 'notify mod' button, but I don't think we necessarily need to inform everyone else that a mod has been notified...
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I think the system is running just great. In the incident last night (which did cause quite a bit of anxiety on my part...........those of you who know about it can understand why.........those of you who didn't see it.....count yourselves blessed)..........but I do not blame it our "the system" or the admins / mods...........I blame it on the *refrains herself from an unkind remark* person who actually made that post and abused the guest posting.

Perhaps more admins would be good.........or extra mods in the "special" sections so that things like last night can be delt with quicker (though one hour was fairly fast compared to some other boards I've seen). And I think our adminstration made some excellent judgements as far as how to prevent it in the future.
Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Eugene Blackgaard wrote:I ment elected, I'm sorry. 0_o

Anyways, I disagree minorly because I believe the elected officials, the mayor and COP should be expected to be around constantly, answer PMs, and serve the people at all times. It's why they were elected. Not because they had the coolest sigs or avvies, or how popular they were, we hold these elections to find out who is most qualified to co-run the ToO. At least, that's what I thought the elections were about.
The mayor and C.o.p. cannot be here 24/7, they shouldn't be expected to, period. People have school and jobs outside of this message board, we can't really expect them to stay here all the time making sure everything is perfect.
We're looking at this at RTF..........and it could work here too possibly.........if the admins pick mods and include location in selecting.......at RTF we have a lot of mods here in North America since that is where a lot of the members are from.......however we have a mod in NZ and one from Austraila, and one from England I believe.......it works out nice (when the "other side" people are on cuz of the time zones they are on when those of us here in North America are at work or school.....or sleeping.........and we're on when they're at work, school or sleeping..........although we've had a lot more problems at RTF than the ToO has in the past 8 months that require at least a mod to be on for at least the majority of the time.

Like I said, I do not blame the admins / mods..........I'm placing blame where it belongs.......the person who made that post. And as many are saying, less than an hour was rather quick for a response to it...........even though it felt like eternity to me at the time.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
map
Found

Post by map »

I wasn't on to know about what happened, but I think the current system works really well. You'll never be able to stop or solve every problem. If someone wants to do something negative bad enough, they will always find a way. Maybe extra mods will help, but no one can be on all the time and I don't think even setting times for each mod to monitor would work.

I am impress with all that goes on in this site. I am an older member of this site and it really does impress me all of the educational and learning opportunities this site offers! It's equally impressive that you're willing to take a look at problems and try and find solutions. Keep up the good work!
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I wasn't saying to have a schedule of when to have people on........but to try to pick a mod team where it's more convienient to have people on for the majority of the day..........like Jonathan doesn't sleep, and has admitted to being on here until 3 or 4 his time......now granted that doesn't happen every night (anyway I hope it doesn't), then there are people like me who are usually up and online until between midnight and 3 AM (depending....sometimes....if I have church or work the next morning...........though I have been known to stay up all nigth chatting, then around 6:30 AM announce I had to get a shower for work or church or whatever)...........so picking people who are on fairly often (maybe not everyday, but at least every couple days)......so it could be done with the right planning............however even though it was highly offensive, this is the first time that I know of that we've had anything like this since the ToO opened, so I don't think we need to be all that concerned with having this board staffed 24/7.........maybe 23 1/2 / 7 :p kidding.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Fortunately I am on late many times, and very frequently around off and on throughout the day... though I missed all the fun last night. :(

Another idea... maybe all the mods could technically be global mods, but sworn to only moderate in their section except in case of "emergencies"... :-k
Mr Sarcastic Cow Man
I'm memorable

Post by Mr Sarcastic Cow Man »

Perhaps I am confused by using a newer, beta PHPBB version, but can't you create a moderator group which has very selective privileges? Enough to deal with a clearly offensive posts (editing, moving thread to a board that is invisible to most users, deleting a post, etc.), but not really global mod powers.

I realize that would be some work for ShadowPaw (especially with his nicely hacked ("hacked" in the proper sense of the word) board), but it might be worth it (easy for me to say :p), and I would of course be willing to help LoL (I would have to be an admin though :roll:).
Bare feet pwn. ~ Lucy
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
STRYPER wrote: Even though we have a lot of admins and mods here, most of them do not log on daily or several times a day. Bmuntz, David, Laura, dancer, Trent. They just don't post quite as often.
I just wanted to point out that I do get on several times a day....I just have cut down on my actual posting. I'm still around reading everything and keeping an eye on Finneman's. ;)
Yay!!! Thanks for being so diligent!!!! =D>

I think you know, but I wasn't in anyway undermining the effectiveness of your job, just the lack of possibility for the ToO to be watched 24/7
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

LarryTheCow wrote: Enough to deal with a clearly offensive posts (editing, moving thread to a board that is invisible to most users, deleting a post, etc.), but not really global mod powers.
That idea is the best.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
LarryTheCow wrote: Enough to deal with a clearly offensive posts (editing, moving thread to a board that is invisible to most users, deleting a post, etc.), but not really global mod powers.
That idea is the best.
That really is what our current global moderators (Top and EB) can do. :) "Global" is in the sense that they have power over more than one section of the board (though not some specialty boards), not because they have power above what a normal mod does.
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

STRYPER wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:
Yay!!! Thanks for being so diligent!!!! =D>

I think you know, but I wasn't in anyway undermining the effectiveness of your job, just the lack of possibility for the ToO to be watched 24/7
I understand, but felt it necessary to ditto Laura's point. I tend to get on the ToO multiple times a day (more than I should, really) but don't post much because I don't like saying things unless they really need to be said, or I really want to add something to a topic. I try and stay current with what's happening; I just don't always interact with it.

I see your point, but personally think that we have about enough people in place to catch things... No matter how many people are watching, inappropriate things will still be able to be posted, and someone will still have to read them before they're moved. Perhaps as the board grows, a couple positions could be added or expanded, but I don't think that any great overhaul need occur.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

then thanks to you too!!! =D>

Isn't it great to see everyone faithfully doing their jobs :D
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Shadowpaw
Town Founder
It’s my birthday

Post by Shadowpaw »

It's also a bit difficult to equate post counts to time spent on the board. I spend a ton of time on this board, and if I was in the census, I would barely squeak into the top 25. The same thing happened on the Town Hall, where I don't think I had more than 925 posts in 2 and a half years yet I was on very frequently (and moreso than a handful of the other admins). I tend to observe things more than I actively participate and the same holds true for some of the people on STRYPER's list (not that the list was accusing people of anything mind you). I often take a peak at the "past 24 hours" to see who has logged in and there's only a day or two that comes to mind in the past 4 months where even one member of the police force hasn't logged in (excluding instances where police force members were on vacation).