Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Post by The Top Crusader »

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I am so on board for this! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Well, this is the quintessential Top movie! \:D/

I think it looks too scary for me, though. :( Have fun, boys!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Eleven. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

It looks amazing!!! I'm in hype even tho i don't usually care about Godzilla.
Resident JRPG nut
Horsegirl
29K to go!

Post by Horsegirl »

This looks so cool! Totally excited!
Hello I was going to put a inspirational thing here but couldn't find a thing then I was going to make something up but ran out of ideas so I thought I would just talk and talk till I don't know run out of ink or wait no ink ummm I guess run out of fingers or keys? You should stop reading now because it may talk a long time to run out of ether of those
321tumbler
Tallying up

Post by 321tumbler »

I didn't really care about Godzilla until we went over to a friend's house last year to watch one of them (don't ask me which one, but it was newer and in Japanese) and it was interesting. So we'll see what I do about this one.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

321tumbler wrote:I didn't really care about Godzilla until we went over to a friend's house last year to watch one of them (don't ask me which one, but it was newer and in Japanese) and it was interesting. So we'll see what I do about this one.
The *newest* Japanese one was Shin Godzilla, where he doesn't find any other monsters and looks dumb and evolves throughout the film. I didn't care for it but it seemed to be pretty popular as far as these things go. But there were films through the first half of the 00's so could've been one of those.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

New trailer hype!

Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I have seen the trailer for this movie many times. Pretty much at all the recent movies I have gone to. It looks totally epic! I haven't actually seen any Godzilla movies but I may have to go watch this. My one concern is that I don't particularly care for widespread destruction in movies. I can handle it but I just don't like watching entire cities being destroyed. I can't help but think how many people die and how much it will cost to repair it all! :boohoo:
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm looking forward to this movie so much! I had never given much thought to Godzilla stuff before, until the last movie I'd never seen one, but that flipped some switch in me because I was instantly on board with that one and from the first clips I saw of this one it just looked unbelievably epic to me!

I'm also super excited for them to get to Godzilla vs Kong!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

*hype intensifies*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I can't wait to see this! Should be soon!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

The greatest film in the history of film! \:D/

Or not, but it was pretty good and entertaining. Shame the reviews and box office are both swimming in the toilet together, but they basically already filmed the sequel so at least we get that--not too promising for anything beyond that, sadly.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I absolutely loved this! It was everything I wanted!

I had some very minor criticisms of a couple story beat decisions or how they were executed, but nothing that came anywhere close to preventing the movie as a whole from being a really great time.

Box office has been disappointing, quite unexpectedly when the prerelease excitement had seemed to be genuine, but Godzilla vs Kong is already in production so thankfully getting that isn't reliant on success here.
The end credits were a great mix of efficient epilogue for this movie and hype job for bringing in Kong. I'm looking forward to that more than ever now, can't wait to see it!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah...
The overall plot with eco-terrorists wanting to wake up the Titans, I liked, but I didn't really care for the family drama. Just didn't work for me. And the main woman (sorry, forget the actress and character name!) being in league with the terrorists I felt like could've been a bigger plot twist, but it just kind of happened.
Certainly not deal breaking, and plenty of Godzilla films have had worse plots, but a little nitpicking there.

Also while sometimes it was kind of funny, I thought a lot of the little one liners and quips were just kind of there and not particularly hilarious or whatever. Like they tried a little too hard to be an MCU style movie but mostly missing. I'd take that over it being too somber, but it felt forced. You had a couple guys that were overall kind of goofy, cell phone commercial guy and white haired guy, so while they weren't always hilarious, it kind of fit their character, but Main Guy who is scared to death his daughter and estranged/ex-wife are going to be killed was also joining in, and it just seemed odd to me.

The movie had loads and loads of call backs to older films, which I know a lot of viewers won't get, but I liked that. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I also felt the development that
the mom was in with the villain
lacked something, but one thing I did like about it was
her turn around at the end. At first I didn't buy it, I was thinking come on all of a sudden she comes back to the right side and we're supposed to think good for her after what she did? But then I realized it was the payoff of what that one scientist had said earlier about how dragons can offer redemption. This was hers. So then I was okay with it, and I was impressed the movie didn't insert a cheesy flashback to that scene to hammer in what was happening, trusting the viewer would figure it out.