Odyssey Authors Edition 2

Next Edition: June 19

Come and check out the newspapers of the Town of Odyssey! New and archived issues are all available here.

Odyssey Authors Edition 2

Postby Kat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:07 pm

The Not-So-Grand Opening Part 2
Written by Kat Doyle
(c) Kat Doyle 2007

Then, Noah, Riley’s friend, came through the doors and looked around in surprise. He spotted the twins, and came over, “Wow, what happened here? Low stocking?”
“No, the lights went out and this weird voice was like ‘don’t move, or there will be consequences!’ and then there were footsteps and we heard everything being thrown into baskets and bags. Then the lights came on and you walked in.”
Noah acted surprised, but it looked like he was trying to hide his nervousness. “Wow, that’s creepy. Who do you think it was?”
Layla looked around and noticed that the men that the muffled voice sent in had dropped a few things, clues, things that could lead them to the culprit, “Look! A mask from that coat company, Water’s End, and then there’s a wine glass, but it’s plastic…”
Riley reached over to pick up the wine glass, but Layla snapped his arm back and said, “Riley! Don’t touch it, you’ll get your finger prints on it and they will think that you did it.” She looked around and saw a receipt to Charley’s Tuxedo Rental. “This receipt, could it be to the place where the men got their black clothes? I mean, they aren’t exactly the most comfortable clothes to run around in, but it’s a clue! Come on Riley. We have work to do! Bye Noah. See’ya!” and she dragged Riley off as the police members walked in.
Hours passed as Layla and Riley were at home, just sitting around thinking about what had happened that day.
Then that evening while their mom was at work, the phone rang. Riley answered it, “Hello?”
The muffled voice from earlier that day came on, “What you saw today…don’t talk about it to anyone else, or you will pay!” and they hung up before anything else could be said.
Layla wondered, “Who was that?”
Trying to not worry his sister, Riley said, “It was Mom saying she’ll be home soon and that we can make dinner. Let’s go!”
Late at night, Riley lay in bed wondering who the muffled voice could be. What was the ‘or else’ warning? Was somebody going to hurt him or Layla? All of these questions filled his mind, but he was asleep before he could find answers.
The next day, Layla received a phone call similar to the one that Riley received yesterday. This made her very curious, so she went back to the warehouse without Riley.
While she was there, she realized she had overlooked a piece of information. In the crowd of many people before the doors had opened, she spotted a girl from her school, Zoe. Layla also noticed that while everybody else was pouring into the building, Zoe had snuck around to the back of the building. Realizing this, Layla decided to go behind the building to see for herself what could have been done there.
When she got behind the building, she discovered a ladder that led to the top of the warehouse. Layla found something very surprising.
“Noah, what are you doing up here?”
“I could ask the same question myself!” he replied.
So, Noah was the mystery man. How predictable. But, why would he return to such an obvious spot? “I asked you first!”
Before Noah replied, Layla ran all the people through her mind that she saw in the crowd. Noah, Zoe, and then there was Corey. Corey had never owned a computer or a video game ever in his life. He always liked to spend his money on other things, such as food. Zoe always bullied him about it. “How can you waste your money on junk like that?” she’d always ask him. It made so much sense that it was Corey. How could she miss that valuable piece of information? And he had enough money to pay some guys at school to run around and grab the games while renting the suits and wearing the hats. It was so obvious!
It was then that she noticed that there was one of those Buzz Lightyear Voice Changers lying on the rooftop. The handle read, “Property of Corey Jacobs.”
But before she could ask about it, she was knocked out from behind. Layla crumpled to the ground.
She awoke in a room with nothing around her…except many video games and consoles. It was the place where the crime committer could have stored their winnings.
Just then, Corey walked in, “Sorry I had to knock you out, but you were about to get the wrong idea. Just because my voice changer was at the scene of the crime and I don’t even own one videogame does not mean that I would commit such a felony. And I won’t let you tell anyone else otherwise. The reason I don’t own any video games is because they are too expensive to maintain! You have to buy all the newest games and upgrades and stuff! Who really wants to mess with that when you have the option of food? Hey, I have to go. I’d untie you, but I have been instructed not to. Hasta la bye bye!” and the pudgy boy ran out of the room, leaving Layla all alone.
Layla just sat there in silence, wondering about who the culprit could be.
Zoe walked in, interrupting her thoughts. “Why, hello Layla. What are you doing here? You could be out messing with one of my other schemes to get stuff!”
“Zoe, why’d you do it?”
“Wait, you answer me first! How in the world did you know it was me?”
“It wasn’t that hard to decipher. First, Noah. You made Noah go up and place the voice changer on the roof when you saw me walk by your house toward the warehouse. You wanted me to think that it was Noah. But when you though I could see what he was placing up there, I would think that it was Corey. But you got Corey to give you his voice changer by giving him money to go buy him some more food. You knew that he would take it. The wine glass that I found on the floor was from one of your other thefts, one that was from a thrift store. I knew it was you because I worked at that thrift store and I knew that we sold one plastic wine goblet like that. You bought the suits so that you would feel even more rich when you robbed the warehouse, and the masks were obviously so your henchmen could cover their faces. See? Simple!”
“Gah, I knew that it was risky with you there. But it doesn’t matter anyway! Because you’ll be stuck in here, and I’ll get away with it!” Zoe turned around to leave, but turned right in to Riley’s chest.
“Hey Zoe. Whatcha doing?” He smiled at Layla and gave her thumbs up.
Riley took a strong hold of Zoe as he untied me and we walked to the police station. When they got there, the police confirmed that the fingerprints on the wine glass were indeed Zoe’s. They thanked the twins and the officers then booked Zoe. Layla explained to the officers where the room full of merchandise was located. Layla and Riley had solved a mystery that made their lives more exciting. The two went home and explained it all to their mom, she was thrilled to know that her children had done something that took guts and smarts.

Words
Written by Kat Doyle
(c) Kat Doyle 2007
Some words in your mind
Have very little feeling
Words in the air
Are good but not appearling
When on paper,
They have more meanng
So be careful what you think
And even what you say
But the thing to be aware of is
Words put on paper are
Always there to stay

Small Flower Clock
Written by Kat Doyle
(c) Kat Doyle 2007

The clock goes on.
Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick
My day has been boring
I need stuff to do.
Tock, Tock, Tock, Tock
My life continues with every tick-tock
of that small flower clock.
I stare and stare
Still the same pattern:
Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock
I have to do something.
I feel so dull.
Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick
That small flower clock keeps tick-tocking on.
I need to move my gaze from that second-hand.
I try to move, I feel hypnotized.
My eyes are glazed over, that clock tick-tocks all day
Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock
*returns*
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs
Kat

Cash on hand: 0.93

Postby Catspaw » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:42 pm

Wow, thanks for doing all of this, Kat! :D I enjoyed reading the rest of your story! Did you purposely name a bad guy after Shadowpaw, or was that just random? ;) (Sorry - I'm a curious person!)

The poems were nice as well. Did you write the second one just because you really were bored?
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 6,259.87
Bank: 1,958.31

Postby Kat » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:07 pm

Wow! I didn't even notice that I used the same name! It was just a coincidence. I wrote the poem one night while I was lying in bed and I was on caffeine. I couldn't get to sleep, so I was staring at the clock. I was inspired! Caffeine can do good things sometimes.
*returns*
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs
Kat

Postby Lord_Kappa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:28 pm

Good job, Kat! Great poems, and good conclusion to the story. I just wish it had more action, like a car chase and a fight scene. :( ;)
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
I post like Shadowpaw
Lord_Kappa

Cash on hand: 0.00

Postby Kat » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:47 pm

I need more writings for edition 3! Please PM them ASAP!
*returns*
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs
Kat

Postby Lord_Kappa » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:51 pm

!

I had planned to write something for it, but alas, life has distracted me almost entirely from this forum!

Think... what can I write for it? By tomorrow! What time do you need it submitted? Oh, dear, I don't have any time.

Ok, I'll write someting, it won't be very good though. I completely forgot! Oh dear, oh dear.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
I post like Shadowpaw
Lord_Kappa

Cash on hand: 0.00

Return to The Newspapers