Post Post subject: THUN Newspaper, Back-to-Homeschool/School Issue
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:34 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
SCREAMING BLASPHEMY.

Cash: 121.94
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (4)

A Note from the Editor:
Hey, guys! This issue is the back to homeschool/school issue! The staff and I hope you enjoy it.

Homework Helpers
by and compiled by Christina S

Do you ever have trouble remembering what year it was Columbus sailed the ocean? Or does that troubling multiplication problem just slip your mind? Well, never fear, Homework Helpers are here! In dire situations, just pull out one of these little guys, and you'll be worry-free for up to 24 hours! Go on! Try one today!

Limited supply only, available while supplies last. Not guaranteed to treat, cure or prevent any homework, related problems you may incur. Please see your mother about using Homework Helpers if you suffer from illiteracy, lack of education or cluelessness. Offer expires January of '08.

Geography
The 5 Oceans
(largest to smallest): Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Southern, Artic
People Attack Irritating Simple ART

The 7 Continents:
Europe, Antarctica, Asia, Africa, Australia, North America, South America
Eat An Aspirin After A Nighttime Snack
or
SEAN got three AAA's

History
The year Columbus sailed
In 14 hundred and 92, Columbus sailed the ocean blue

Math
Dividing Fractions
Kentucky Chicken Fried
Notice the name is switched a little from that most famous fast-food chicken joint from blue grass country. Use "Kentucky Chicken Fried" to remember KCF.
K -- Keep (the first fraction)
C -- Change (the sign from divide to multiply)
F -- Flip (the last fraction)

Roman Numerals

The Roman numerals in order for I V X L C D M (1 5 10 50 100 500 1000)I
Value Xylophones Like Cows Dig Milk

Number of Yards in a Mile
George the third said with a smile,"Seventeen-sixtyyards in a mile"(The year 1760 was the year George III took the throne)

Multiplying Nines
Between one times and 9 times nine, the numbers in the result always add up to nine
9x2 =18 (1+8)
9x3=27 (2+7)
9x4=36 (3+6)
9x5=45 (4+5)
9x6=54 (5+4)
9x7=63 (6+3)
9x8=72 (7+2)
9x9= 81 (8+1)

Music
Every Good Boy Does Fine
The initial letter of each word stands for the notes of the treble clef staff (the lines) from bottom to top.

F.A.C.E. The letters of the treble clef notes in the spaces from bottom to top spells "FACE."

All Cows Eat Grass
The initial letter of each word stands for the notes in the spaces of the bass clef staff from top to bottom

Great Big Dogs Fight Animals
The initial letter of each word stands for the notes on the lines of the bass clef staff from top to bottom.

Spelling and Grammar

I before E, except after C, or when sounding like A as in neighbor or weigh

in English, the 7 coordinating conjunctions can be remembered with the word FANBOYS.
* For
* And
* Nor
* But
* Or
* Yet
* So

Faithfully or Sincerely - Which do you use to sign off a letter?
Dear Sir / Yours Faithfully.
Dear Mr. Blah / Yours Sincerely.
The rule is "Never 2 S's together"

Time
Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November. All the rest have thirty-one excepting February alone: Which hath but twenty-eight, in fine, Till leap year gives it twenty-nine.

And Just for Fun!

Keeping track of all seven dwarfs in Snow White is actually quite simple once you have mastered this simple mnemonic device:
2 S’s, 2 D’s, and 3 emotions

2 S’s: Sleepy and Sneezy
2 D’s: Dopey and Doc
3 emotions: Happy, Bashful, and Grumpy.

In the News:
Congrats to Seha & EK for winning the ToO election!
Also, congrats to Birdie & Abigail for becoming the leaders of THU this past summer!

Bible Lesson
by LK/QP

Matthew 5:13
You are the Salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet.
Don’t lose your saltiness.

Matthew 5:14-16
You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Shine your light before men, that they may see your good deeds, and worship the Father in heaven.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
The Spirit gives us each different gifts. You may not see it right away, but His gifts are of His Spirit.

Revelation 5:8
And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
Pour out your incense before God; pray to Him, it is sweet smelling incense.

Quote:
®Sunday night in the City

At the church meeting people prayed, then shared coffee with the homeless –alfresco style. The “after church” coffee, cold drinks, pikelets and scones all a warm treat to the people that made up the street. The inner city homeless knew it was on, and headed to the well known city street; somehow all belonged.

I was a “guest” there on that the night, I wandered the isles to meet and greet before “church” began. Old John was there, I shook his hand. He said “hello”. His five o’clock shadow represented a week’s growth, or more. His toothless mouth gave me the grin, he could see I was a new chum, not settled in. John told me he came to church most nights, the coffee is good but the milk’s not always fresh. Then came his tip, don’t fill up on the cake, they bring out pizza and all kinds of stuff. “ait around” he said with a wink and a smile.

Across the road sat a finely built young man. The styled moustache, shaped whiskers and handsome features showed a level of grooming uncommon on an old bus seat. Astute and careful with what he said. Indigenous. Respect was tenacious in his manner.

Church was long over for the day, the fancy clothes and polished cars had deserted inner city streets. Nearby sat another guy; they were there together, yet completely alone. He started talking about his Dad, last heard of in Suva –Fiji. “He’s over 6’ tall and strong, but he’s a woman basher”.

“I’ve never met him. Mum left him before I was born. I’m a 19 year old fella, but I’ve never met my father. There’s never been a man around to show me, teach me, what it means to be a good man. I miss him, I don’t know him, but I miss him.”

His eyes turned red as tears seeped out; this was deeply personal.
It deserved respect and silence.
He sat and wept.
I prayed.
Lord.

"FATHER, whose everlasting love Thy only Son for sinners gave,
Whose grace to all did freely move, and sent him down the world to save;
Help us thy mercy to extol, immense, unfathomed, unconfined;
To praise the Lamb who died for all, the general Saviour of mankind."

®Charles Wesley

Jokes & Comics
by and compiled by Rodney rathbone

Geography Teacher: "Matthew, what is the climate of New Zealand?''
Matthew: "Very cold, sir."
Geography Teacher: Wrong.
Matthew: "But, sir! When they send us meat, it always arrives frozen!"

An English teacher asked her class to write an essay on what they'd do if they had $1,000,000. Alec handed in a blank sheet of paper.
"Alec!" yelled the teacher. "You've done nothing. Why?"
"Because if I had $1,000,000 that's exactly what I would do."

Teacher: "I wish you'd pay a little attention."
Girl: "I'm paying as little as possible. *talking to a girl*

Teacher's pet: "Please, sir! Please, sir! Why do you keep me locked up in this cage?"
Boy: "Because you're the teacher's pet."

Summer Gone, Summer Not: Part Two
by Abigail

During the next week, the girls saw each other a few times outside of school but did not get to spend a whole lot of time together because of having to study for finals, planning end-of-school parties and such. On the day before school let out, Kim and Kerry met up with Katie and Shannon after school.
Shannon started the conversation by saying, "Where's Jess?"
Kim answered her, "She told me between classes that she would not be able to come over because she has to help her mom pack, since Kathy was going to be at her best friend’s house this afternoon." Kim started to laugh. "Jess said that Kathy was mad because Jess had been excused from packing three times, and she had not been able to spend anytime with her friends." The others laughed.
"Anyway, I think we need to throw a going away party for Jessica." Kim said.
"I agree." Kerry said.
Kim started to get a far away look in her eyes, and then she said "Boy am I going to miss her."
Kerry hugged her and said, "I know you are, we all are going to miss her."
"Yes," Katie and Shannon said in unison
"Well we’ve got to go, I’ve got killer homework, and on the night before the last day of school for pete's sake!!" Kim exclaimed.

While they walked home, Kim and Kerry discussed the party.
"Where should we have it?" Kim asked Kerry.
"I don't know, I think our house would be the best bet, because it is the biggest, and we have a pool. And it’s hot enough to go swimming now." Kerry stated.
"You’re right, so we could have a pool party, but we need to discuss it with Katie and Shannon to see if that is ok with them."
"Alright, I'll call Katie and you can call Shannon and we will ask them."
The conversation moved to discussing homework the rest of the way home.

So school let out, and the going away pool party for Jessica at Kim and Kerry's is in 2 days, Jessica and her family leaves in 4 days. Let’s see what happens now.

It is late Saturday morning, and Kim is still in bed, she likes to sleep in during summer break. She planned to sleep in till 10, but that dream was crashed when there came a knock on Kim's bedroom door...
Kim heard the knocking, rubbed her eyes and sat up sleepily, and called out, "Kerry is that you? If it is, you’re dead meat you know how I like to sle...” she was cut off by the person on the other side of the door.
"It’s not Kerry, it’s me goober," came the voice. It was Jessica.
Kim turned back the covers, got up, and went to open her bedroom door.
"Oh it’s you Jess, I thought it was Kerry coming to wake me up, she knows how I like to sleep in."
Jessica just laughed and stepped into Kim's room.
Kim pointed to the bed and said, "Have a seat," and then started to look in her closet for something to wear.
"So what brings you over on a Saturday morning, Jess?" Kim questioned while changing her clothes.
"Oh, I just thought we'd hang out." Jessica said, avoiding Kim's eyes.
Kim noticed this right away and asked "Jess, is something the matter?" She sat down by her on the bed.
Jessica did not reply.
"Jess?"
Jessica looked at Kim, her eyes filled with tears, and said, "Kim, I don't want to move! I want to stay here with you. How am I ever going to make new friends, I won't be able to find any as good as you or the other girls!" Jessica sobbed.
After holding all her emotions in for the last week, Kim started to cry it all out. She moved closer to Jessica, and they hugged and cried.
After what seemed hours, Kim wiped her tears, looked at Jessica and said, "I think I know what you’re worried about." Jessica looked puzzled as Kim went on.
"You’re worried that you'll find another best friend, and you’re afraid that I would be hurt and you would lose me. Am I right?"
Jessica nodded.
"But I wouldn't be hurt, I want you to make friends and have other best friends in Washington. I don't want you to be lonely. No matter what happens you will always be my best friend. Do you understand?"
Jessica nodded. "Yes, but how did you know that was what I was worried about?"
"I just did. I could see it in your eyes. That kind of thing comes natural to you when you have a twin sister." Kim answered. "You know we have been best friends since we were 5, and up till then my best friend was Kerry- and she still is- but I made new friends and that didn't bother Kerry."
"You’re right, I shouldn't have worried," Jessica said, hugging Kim.
Kim hugged her back and told her, "And God will help us through this, he will give us comfort."
"Right, well I really need to get back and help pack, we've just about got it all done." Jessica stood up. "And thanks for talking to me."
"You’re welcome. Hey, is it all right if I come over? I can help you pack." Kim said.
"That would be fine, I'm sure mom won't mind, in fact she would love the extra help." Jessica stated.
"Great, I'll ask mom and let Kerry know where I'm going." Kim replied.
"I'll wait for you downstairs."
While Jessica went downstairs, Kim went to her mom's study (she worked at home), and found her working on the computer. "Mom."
"Yes dear?" her mom asked.
Kim asked her, "Can I go over to Jessica's house and help her pack?"
"Sure honey, just be home by dinner time. Oh, and say hi to Jessica's mother for me."
Kim kissed her mom and said, "Thanks, I'll see you later."
She left the study, went to Kerry's room and told her where she was going, and then went downstairs to join Jessica.
"All systems go, you ready?" Kim asked as she grabbed her purse and a bagel.
"Great, let’s go." Jessica replied, and the girls left.
For the next four hours, Kim helped Jessica's family pack. Then they watched "The Parent Trap," and after that Kim had to leave.
"Well, I have to go; I have to be home by dinner time." Kim said as she picked up her purse.
Jessica walked her to the door. "Thanks for helping, I had a good time."
"So did I, I'll see you later." As Kim walked out the door, she called over her shoulder, "Don't forget, lunch at my house on Monday, and bring your swimsuit in case we go for a swim."
"Ok," came the reply.
What Jessica didn't know was that "Lunch at Kim's house" was really the surprise going away pool party.

Employee of the Week:
Laura Ingalls! She made the banner and she was proofreader for this entire issue! Thank you, Laura, and congrats for being the employee of the week!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:26 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,639.53
Bank: 1,958.31
Another good edition! \:D/

Yay for Laura for being the employee of the week! I'm sure she deserves it! :D

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm 

Cash: Locked
Bank: Locked
I would like to note that in Blibical times salt was not only used for food preservation and flavoring, it had antiseptic and fetilizing use also. (THe salt from the dead sea contained amounts of potash, and salt does clean.)

SO as a Christian we must not also be a preserver and flavor, we must be an antiseptic and a fertilizer. (Spiritually, not literally. )

[ 3 posts ]