Post Post subject: TOE The Indian's Mandible part 5
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:41 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Currently Procrastinating

Cash: 0.00
The Odyssey Enigma The Indian’s Mandible
By: Kateri J. Plumfield & Andrea Meltsner

Intuition Leads Suspicion

Nikita sat in a swing that swung back and forth with an automatic whirl and click, a towel held him still, so that he would not fall over in the seat. He was asleep, one of his favorite things to do at the moment. I had never seen Andrea as happy as she was sitting on her little couch in the living room with Pecan, her dog, lying next to her in a quiet doggie dream. In a mauve sweater and dark blue skirt. She seemed calmer despite the things that she now had to worry about. Mary Anne sat on a matching chair in jeans and a white sweater, ready to hear what we found out up in the North. I sat on the other side of the table, in a wooden rocking chair covered with red fabric, which almost did not fit in with the couch and other chairs. In my usual sweatshirt and jeans.

Andrea: All right then, now that we are here, lets’ get down to business.

Kateri: First, we looked up the name in the library, and found some articles about Ms. Parks. Apparently Andrea was right, there are some things that are just not right about this whole thing.

Andrea: but first, why don’t you tell us what has been going on down here Nell.

Nellie: Gladly, First the Indian council told the university that their land has an Indian burial ground in it. The university and the state decided to investigate so they brought in this woman named Ivy Parks, who clamed that his dog could smell bones, if they were buried there. The dog sniffed around for a few days, then found the bones. The university started digging, and took out the remains of at least a dozen or so Indians. The strange thing is that all of the skeletons are intact, except for one mandible that does not seem to have a body.

Andrea raised an eyebrow suspiciously and I gave her a doubtful look.

Nellie: I know what you are thinking, but when they dug up the bones, all the skeletons were intact, except for the one mandible that was just sitting there.

Andrea: Ok then where is the rest of the body?

Nellie: They don’t know.

Andrea: This is odd.

Nellie: You have the right of it.

Kateri: So?
Nellie: So we will be sending the bones to a Dr. Bellasara in New York to test them.

The ringing of the phone interrupted Nellie’s explanation of how Dr. Bellasara would test the bones. Again Andrea answered, Her face again turned pale, her eyes dimmed and she stared into oblivion.

Andrea: Yes Officer, This is Andrea Meltsner…. Right, I will come…. Thank you officer.

She hung the phone down in its cradle, walked to the door and left without a word. We then ran after her as she sprinted down the street. I had not realized how fast she was until then. We were at least three feet behind her the whole way. Then we saw it. A mangled red ford on top of a demolished black Jetta, it was brand new, I knew immediately who it was.

Kateri: NO! I clung to Nellie as she panted beside me, who seemed slow despite that she was the more athletic one. She then fell to the ground in sobs, while Andrea stopped by the yellow tape.

Andrea: What happened sir?

Officer Stryper: He was driving around the corner and this guy on his cell phone ran right into him, the ford then flipped on top of the other car.

Andrea: Oh, I am not sure how that happened, but it did. Do you know who was in the other car?

Officer Stryper: His name was Adam Bertoli

Andrea: so, he is gone too?

Officer Stryper: Yes, they both had fatal head trauma, and Mr. Bertoli had a broken neck.

Andrea put her hand up to her mouth, it looked like she was going to cry, but somehow she did not. She stood like a rock, listening to the police officer explain what happened, and asking if she knew anything. Then she walked towards us, with a pale face, dim eyes that turned green, as tears formed a glassy layer over them. She came to us and bent down to Nellie who was still stooped to the ground. She took Nellie’s head in her arms and let her cry. I watched her be a comfort, a steady hand in a shattered world. My blood began to boil, why? I thought, Why is everyone I know dieing? I still stood Frozen, my hands clenched, Andrea looked up at me, with a distant look. I knew she wanted to hold me too yet somehow she had to take care of Nellie, who was now hyperventilating. She then took out her cell phone and dialed.

Andrea: Hi, James, can you come here right now? Yah we are at the scene, Nellie needs you, please, you are? Good.

It was several minutes until the white doge came up quickly, and halted at the edge of the curb. Now Nellie was standing weeping, still holding on to Andrea like she were the last stable thing on earth. James rushed out, and took hold of her, and took his cousin’s arm and they looked at each other for a moment. They both had a distant look; they talked to each other with the same hazel green eyes, glassed over with tears. Andrea then took me by the shoulders; I looked at her with all the rage boiling in my eyes. She stared right back, un-afraid. She turned me around and lead me back to her house, where Pecan stood by the opened door, and Kita screamed bloody murder from inside. James followed helping a still weeping Nellie up the steppes. Andrea sat me down on the couch with a gentle, yet demanding motion. James and Nellie sat next to me, holding each other tightly, like they never wanted to let go, but were afraid the other would. Andrea stopped the swing, and lifted the little boy, still screaming and sobbing, his face a squished up plum. She rocked him gently and kissed him. She brought him over to the rocking chair and sang;

Hear the wind blow, hear the wind blow,
Lean your head over, hear the wind blow…

At the second verse his scream turned into a soft whimper and he slowly fell asleep, with one last sob. She then placed him gently in a basinet. Then she went into the kitchen. She came back with three glasses of water. She gave one to each of us still no one talked. Nellie was quiet after a sip of cool water, I drank to appease Andrea’s stare and James took a sip. Then he got up and stood with his cousin. They looked at each other, and whispered quietly in a language that only they understood. He placed his hand on the side of her face, the shared a sad smile. Then he helped Nellie off the couch and took her over to her house. Andrea came and took my hand.

Andrea: Tell me what you are thinking, you have this look, and you are staring into oblivion. What are you thinking about?

Kateri: You. How are you two so strong? The world is crumbling down before our very eyes and yet the two of you stand like pillars of strength and endurance, and where did you learn to run like that?

Andrea: We have been through things that have taught us how to be strong in the face of adversity; our faith holds us together in these times. As far as the running is concerned, I don’t tell you everything, there are a lot of things you don’t know about me.

Kateri: I don’t want to go home, I fell like being sick.

Andrea: that is ok, just lie down, and rest. She let me lay my head on the edge of the couch. Then put a green and white blanket over me, as a mother does to a sick child. She then went into her office; the last thing I remember is hearing her voice over the telephone.

I called up Adam’s family in Nebraska to tell them what happened, I also called Arkansas and Alaska. Despite my seeming to be strong as all this was going on my head started to throb, and my legs ached from running like a maniac with no shoes on. I sat in the office for a couple of hours as Kita and Ky lay in the other room sleeping, and pondered what exactly was going on; some of which we never got to share with Nellie before the accident.

1. Bones were discovered at the university and then excavated
2. All but one body was intact; the body that was not intact was missing, except for one bone.
3. There is a case in Michigan where a certain Mrs. Parks was caught planting a bloody saw blade, with her own blood, at a crime scene.
4. Mrs. Parks and her dog were the ones who found the bones.

It would not be hard to assume what was going on here, yet we need proof, for all we know there were grave robbers or a skull was dropped when some bones were being moved. Since a couple of decades before, when the university bought the land in the first place, they did find some bones, and moved them…I am really grasping at straws but you cant rule out anything, until you know for sure what happened, then you have to assume that any possible conclusion is the right one.

So, Is Mrs. Parks trying to scam Odyssey? Is the mandible from the same time as the other bones? Is it even of a Native American? Find out the answer to this and much more in the next edition of the Indian’s Mandible.

Author’s note: Again I would like to let everyone know that I am aware that this edition may be hard for some people to read, I will gladly talk to you about anything you want, just pm me.

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!

Last edited by Andrea Meltsner on Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:18 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,566.05
Bank: 1,958.31
Wow, Andrea, you have some very intense scenes. Thanks for taking the time and effort to write this and to tackle some hard things. :)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:22 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Currently Procrastinating

Cash: 0.00
Thanks Catspaw. I would like to thank AIOP for helping. :)

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 3 posts ]