[ 16 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: Odyssey Times: Issue #14
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:32 pm 
Why am I even here?

Cash: 0.00
Lucy Pevensie was kind enough to create this Valentine’s Day themed logo. Didn’t she do a good job?

ToO Valentines Day Gifts
By Hakeber (The fabulous avatarless!)

For this article, I PMed some of the most prominent members of this board. I asked them what gifts do they like to give and receive for Valentines Day.

The Top Crusader wrote:

To give, I would have to say flowers, I suppose roses. While it might be kind of cliche I think tradition is good in this case. Plus that way I don't have to think of anything original like heart-shaped sock warmers or something! To receive... I don't know, guys don't do a whole lot of receiving on Valentine's Day. ;) So I will elicite "awwws!" by stating that it is gift enough to be able to give a Valentine's gift to a lovely young lady--especially if they don't then request a restraining order.

Eon Spitfire EK V2 wrote:

Wow thats a tough one, well if your talking about gifts that can be bought or whatever, i'd say to get it would be like a CD or something, you know something that can go farther than a box of chocolates. To give, I like to give flowers and money to my mom, my sister, and someone else... >_> and that's basically all i've given so you could say that that was my favorite gift to give.

Me wrote:

To get? I really have no idea. Candy maybe.

To give? HUGS!!!

Barely Is wrote:
Okay, I'll see if I can fit this in one paragraph. Can it be a long paragraph? \:D/

I've always liked Valentine's Day. I'm not one of those girls that gets a lot of gifts from a ton of guys or anything, lest anyone should get the wrong impression. ;) But I've always liked how everyone seems to be more friendly around this holiday. I like to receive original gifts! I friend of mine gave all of her close friends a poem she wrote comparing us to different flowers! It was so sweet, and made me feel loved. I love flowers, so being compared to one made my day! To give, I just want to give something that shows how I feel about that person. It doesn't ahve to be anything fancy, just a small soemthing that lets them know I'm thinking of them!

*Feels compelled to write an essay concerning Valentine's Day now* \:D/

Fenix wrote:
candy and candy

Catspaw wrote:
I don't normally either give or receive gifts for Valentine's Day, so I'll have to go with Valentine's Day cards! \:D/ I like giving Winnie-the-Pooh or Disney Princess cards, and this year I found an adorable sparkly Precious Moments card that's very pretty. On the topic of receiving cards, if for some reason you are male and decide that I'm wonderful, my address is Catspaw, c/o the ToO. ;)

Chandler wrote:
I'm not sure I have a favorite Valentine's gift since I don't necessarily get anything now, but I do remember one cool thing from my childhood. My mom had this terrific cookie recipe that she used from time to time. Well, on Valentine's Day, she'd use it... and make one big cookie! That was a sight to behold! =P~ Somehow it seemed to taste better too. ;)
My favorite give to give? :-k A card, maybe, if anything. I stopped giving out candies and those cute little Care Bear cards after grade school. O:)

J-man wrote:
Um.. I don't normally get valentines gifts, but chocolate is always nice.. :yum:

Lady Simbelmynë wrote:

My favorite gift would probably be cute little stuffed animals, but I like candy and flowers too! But, the give doesn't matter, it's who gives it to you! :D I like to give people candy.....and just cute little things. :hug:

^Is that good?

YAY!! I'm happy that I was chosen!! THANKYOU!!!

Happy Valentines Day,

Ruthie

Felicity Blackgaard wrote:
I would have to say I love recieving candy and giving treats and cards. :D

Dr. Watson wrote:

I don't really have experience with Valentine's gifts, but when we were fairly young, Laura Ingalls would always give me a small heart with a "Be My Valentine" message on it. :) A box of yummy chocolates would be nice, too. :)

Evil Chick wrote:
Dear hakeber,

Sorry that this took so long! :(

I don't really get people presents. I just make everyone in my family a card. That's usually all that I get, as well. Although, my dad usually gets me some flowers. That's sweet. :D

Hope this isn't too late!
EC

As you can see, candy is the most popular gift, followed by cards and flowers. But remember, to give is better than to receive (especially if you are the Top Crusader, 'cos I have no idea what he's talking about).

The AIO Writing Contest
ImageBy our own dear Elf of Rivendell

One scenario.

One cliffhanger...

...and entirely different stories unfold, each with its unique occurrences, plot twists, and endings. That’s right… The AIO Writing Contest is back! The second Writing Contest, hosted by Trent DeWhite (who has run successful contests such as the Amazing Race), is one of the largest contests to be held in Odyssey 105 thus far. This contest also requires effort and time. However, the rewards—aside from the satisfaction—are also rather significant. Let me rephrase that. Very significant.

What’s it about?
It’s simple, really. After reading the scenario posted in the contest thread the participants each write their own ending to the story. ToO citizens judge the entries and vote on their favorites, and the top three contestants each receive a prize.

What prize?

ToO money, of course! The top three prizes range from $5000 to $1000.

Sounds good so far…are there any spots left?
There are currently five out of ten spots left.

But I’ll need time to do this!

The deadline for the story submissions is March 1—more than two weeks from now.

Whether it’s your first real attempt at fiction or another addition to the vast number of documents overloading your hard drive (or desk drawer), the Writing Contest is an opportunity to let your creativity and imagination loose. So to speak. ;)

How does the rest of the story play out? Just who is that mysterious character? And how is the story going to end? It’s up to you.

Quote of the Week

ImageGood ol’ Chandler searched deep and wide across the vast Town of Odyssey for a outstanding quote. Alas, she found it:

Catspaw wrote:
Much to the misfortune of my teacher, I was in my high school choir. I had a good time, for the most part, even though I sounded less than stellar. :( I actually mouthed the words sometimes, but if the teacher even noticed (it was a decent-sized choir) he never said anything!

And yet another of the exquisite Town Hall Reflections:

Arthur Dent

When Chandler asked me to write this article, I decided to read through the other admins' accounts first. One thing I found amusing was reading about myself in your posts. Here's my formal announcement: I'm very much still alive, and, paraphrasing the venerable Mark Twain, the report of my death was an exaggeration.

I must confess that I felt a tinge of guilt when I agreed to detail an account of my experiences with the Town Hall. It has been a long time since I was an active member there (or in any online AIO community). In fact, I can't recall the last time I've even heard an AIO episode. Over the past couple of years, I've simply become less interested in the series (for various reasons, although starting to attend college was the final nail in the coffin).

Seven or so years ago, I joined the budding online AIO community. Since then, it has gone through many eras. I'm pleased to see that it's still growing, and that it's become as elegant as it has. It's difficult to overstate the impact that this entire experience has had on me, particularly the Town Hall years. I was there basically since its inception as a very simplistic, dichromatic message board. Although I don't recall many of the specific conversations that took place, I get nostalgic as I reminisce about the "good ol' days."

As a member of the phpBB incarnation of the Town Hall, I started to participate more in the general and more weighty discussions (at least as a reader, if not an active member), drifting further from the AIO-related ones. When I became an admin, I was mostly absent from the AIO conversations. To be honest, I'm a bit hazy about how exactly I became an admin there. It did, however, involve a mayoral campaign in the Town Hall's Town of Odyssey section. It was somewhat strange; my platform included (among other things) the dismantling of the very institution for which I was attempting to campaign.

The victory of this platform was a formality; many had already expressed their belief that the Town of Odyssey's time had gone, and the Town Hall should head in the direction of serious intellectual discussion. I was among this number, if only because I was no longer an avid AIO listener. The official removal of the Town of Odyssey and the addition of Impolite Company probably caused discontent, although the decision was final. The Town of Odyssey never returned to the Town Hall... although I'm sure you're all aware of the nature of its return. :anxious:

So before I knew it, I joined the ranks of the Town Hall administrators. I wasn't a very active one -- with regard to either posting or administrative actions -- but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. There were serious issues that we had to take care of as admins, of and I certainly cast my ballots and gave my opinions. However, many of my most fond memories include the relatively idle conversations that took place behind the hidden, locked doors of the admin forum.

Running the risk of sounding overly sentimental or just plain cheesy, my time at the Town Hall, as a member and later as an admin, was absolutely phenomenal. Throughout my years there, I developed a deep respect for the entire administrative staff. I was rather young at the time; I think I was fourteen when I became an admin. (I'm seventeen now, for a point of reference.) So I respected my fellow admins not only as peers, but also as role models. The way various situations were handled, and being able to see both what was going on behind the scenes and the "public" reactions to administrative actions was incredibly important in developing my understanding what it's really like to be a leader and the implications of such. As much as it felt otherwise, the Town Hall wasn't the entire world. However, the Town Hall served as a microcosm for me, and the lessons I learned from it are easily applicable to "real life."

Jared, Shadowpaw, The Top Crusader, Amadeo, Continental Admiral. While I've gotten to know some of you better than others and none of you half as well as I should (that wasn't originally an attempt to be a Tolkien reference, but I guess it turned out to be one O:)), I consider it an honor to have worked along side all of you. Best wishes to all of you, including all who read this. Maybe I'll stop by this place more often, so you won't have to hypothesize any further about my demise.

Thank you all for taking the time to partake of this issue. We hope you enjoyed it thoroughly. -Agent DeWhite on behalf of us all.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:40 pm 
Dungeon Master

Cash: 62.66
Bank: 933.17
Great edition guys \:D/

I'm sure some of you are wondering why some editions of the Times have been global announcements (and no other paper has).

The reason is that Shadowpaw wanted the the TH memoirs to get a lot of attention; so any edition with one of the admin memoirs would be a global announcment. Once they end, the Times won't be global annoucified anymore.

Hope that explains the questions I was sure to get ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:02 pm 
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Old... but not obsolete.

Highscores: 1

Cash: 9,999,999,994,415,304.00
Bank: 5,584,680.26
Blog: View Blog (1)
Arthur Dent is alive!! \:D/

I'm bored today so come ask me questions here as the topic suggests.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:04 pm 
Waiting for the dreaded 6666

Cash: 0.01
Bank: 0.00
Another great issue. :)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:15 pm 
Party Pooper
Formerly... CA.

Cash: 10,000,000,000,000,000.00
Me wrote:
Another great issue. :)

I agree. :) I really liked Dent's article, too. He did an excellent job.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:30 pm 
Younger than you

Jonathan wrote:
Great edition guys \:D/

I'm sure some of you are wondering why some editions of the Times have been global announcements (and no other paper has).

The reason is that Shadowpaw wanted the the TH memoirs to get a lot of attention; so any edition with one of the admin memoirs would be a global announcment. Once they end, the Times won't be global annoucified anymore.

Hope that explains the questions I was sure to get ;)

Yeah, I was going to ask you why, but hadn't. Thanks!

Great edition.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:52 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,566.05
Bank: 1,958.31
Yayness! Another edition of the Times! \:D/ I love the cute banner that Lucy made for this one! :D The articles are good, too! :D

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:44 pm 
[url=http://www.wholesalenfljerseyscheapstore.com/]Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping[/url]

Cash: Locked
Bank: Locked
How was my article?

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:46 pm 
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Old... but not obsolete.

Highscores: 1

Cash: 9,999,999,994,415,304.00
Bank: 5,584,680.26
hakeber wrote:
How was my article?

I liked it (not just my part) it was interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter! :)

I'm bored today so come ask me questions here as the topic suggests.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:12 pm 
[url=http://www.wholesalenfljerseyscheapstore.com/]Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping[/url]

Cash: Locked
Bank: Locked
Thankz

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:43 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,566.05
Bank: 1,958.31
Nobody contacted me as the result of that article yet, though. :( I'm shocked! ;)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:52 pm 
Party Pooper
Formerly... CA.

Cash: 10,000,000,000,000,000.00
hakeber wrote:
How was my article?

I found yours to be amusing! Very cute! I liked the answers everyone gave. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:11 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Currently Procrastinating

Great issue guys! =D>

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:07 am 
Little Old Bird Woman
Trank forever. :)

Cash: 12.00
What a great edition, OT People! =D> (Yay Frank for not putting a smidgen of work into this issue. ](*,) )

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:12 pm 
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank
just realized that she has a status to write in...ooOOoohh

Cash: 0.52
Bank: 207.88
Yay!! Lol...I'm a "prominant member"! :D

Great Edition!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:38 pm 
I spam the HH. A lot

Yay, a Valentine's theme! \:D/ Great Edition!

Offline Profile  

[ 16 posts ]