[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post Post subject: The Odyssey Times: Issue #2
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:40 pm 
The Council must persist

Cash: 0.00

Post of the Week!

jessicado wrote:

Eating vegetarian sandwhiches is not weird!!!!! Every sandwhich I eat is vegetarian, so are you calling me weird? Oh wait, I am weird...
:-

Ask Dr. Wise!

Q: Is there a recipe for soap? I would really like to make soap but I have no clue how to go about that.

-Dial User

A: Google it. I have found several sites that way.
Suggested sites:

Soap Recipes
More Recipes This site is very informative.

Dr. Wise will answer any questions from fashion to futons! Send him a message!

Crestwood Avenue
Image Doctor Watson

Despite the recent slumps in the nation’s economy, business is booming in the town of Odyssey. If you don’t believe it, take a trip down Odyssey’s famed Crestwood Avenue. Here, budding entrepreneurs have set up shop and are looking forward to a profitable future. Since the good Shadow founded the town, many businessmen and businesswomen put forth their wares. Town founder, Shadowpaw says, “There is so much potential out the for creativity to flurish and I encourage the townsfolk to seize this opportunity and come up with something truly unique and exciting for the board!”
There is healthy competition in the Avatar and Signature Making department. No less than five different specialize in avatars and signatures. If number of posts in one’s business determines success, Master Eugene Kendall seems to be winning. He has 136 responses to his “Siggy, Avatar, Movie Poster, Song, and Poem” shop. Perhaps customers are drawn to it because of the free merchandise he gives away. But Kendall does have his competitors; Chandler seems to have a strong response to her “Creative Avatars and More” shop. Crestwood Avenue newcomer Monday is up and coming as well with her nifty selection of nicely done banners and signatures.
But there’s more to Crestwood Avenue than avatars and signatures. Miss Friendship has started a most interesting business specializing in advice. Poor clueless souls flock to her advice shop. Miss Friendship has given advice on topics ranging from tying shoes to killing EB. The only question is—who is Miss Friendship? Is she a she? Or is she a he? Only time will tell.
Another fascinating business at Crestwood Avenue is Ferder’s “Brickway Cinema.” Ferder has posted a selection of remarkable Lego movies. Look for a more in depth article on his cinema in the next issue!
Odyssey’s business sector is thriving. Keep it that way, fellow Odyssians and visit Crestwood Avenue often. In the words of Shadowpaw, “There are quite a large number of young entrepreneurs in the Town of Odyssey and I look forward to what the future holds for this creative bunch we have here.”

Your PM Box
Image Monday

Why am I not getting PM's? That is one of the most popular questions that this writer is seeing on ToO today. If so many people have this problem, it should be fairly easy to remidy it. Start PMing people that seem "lonely". The whole idea of the ToO is that we are town. And in a town we have neighbors, our neighbors are the people we should be conversing with our online neighbors just as much as we should in the real world. Of course, I really don't wish to be sounding like the president of the lonely hearts club, but I do think that we should be having a flow of PM's in our box. One a day is better then none a day, so PM somebody, maybe you have the same interest as a member here, if that's a good way to start a conversation then do it!

Contests

Drawing Contest

For this contest you draw a picture and PM it to me, PonysHorses. You ARE able to draw it by hand and then color it on computer, but there is NO tracing. There is a small fee of 5$, but the winner will receive half of the money from the entries.

AIO: The Amazing Race

A variation of the Bennett Charles’ original Amazing Race from the TH, I'm proud to announce the Town of Odyssey’s inaugural season of The Amazing Race! Contestants will travel throughout Odyssey in hopes of winning the grand cash prize. :D Every round (more commonly known as a "leg"), the destination will be posted at a predetermined time. Racers will "Check In" through the PM system. Winners of any given leg will also win a prize! As the game progresses, various elements of AIO will gradually be incorporated and instructions will become more challenging. It will ultimately be no longer a matter of just checking in. We might even see a couple "Detours" thrown in here or there. :o Click here for all the details. Have fun! Win cash! Make friends! Or enemies. :anxious:

There are only 10 positions remaining. Apply now!

Cheesy? I should think so!
Image AgentDeWhite

Cheese. It is part of our everyday world. “You can find it anywhere. Everything these days is smothered in cheese,” says member Christian Cowgirl. In a cheesy world, cheese knowledge is very important to, um, well it is really important. So buckle up and get ready.

So what is it exactly about cheese that everyone, young and old, would die for? Mellow answers that very simply. “Wallace and Gromit, so that’s cool.” Now that might sound a tad absurd, but he is right. Those who have viewed ‘A Grand Day Out’ will know what Mellow and I are speaking about. No, you say? Let me explain.

Do you enjoy watching ads? Yes, it’s a rhetorical question, I assure you. Well, advertisers have picked up on the well-known fact that when the ads start playing out, *pop* out comes the remote control. And with the flick of the thumb, the viewers are now watching another show. Therefore, the ad goes unwatched and nobody knows about the new 3-ply toilet paper!

The company, then, must find another way to inflict good paying Americans and Canadians (and those across the big pond!) with 3-ply toilet paper. The answer? Incorporating is into TV shows, movies and even books. One author entirely changed the direction of her best-selling series, only to accommodate the advertisers: the main character put on Avon make-up, only after applying the best of hand lotion, Simply Basics, before trotting out to her 2005 Cadillac convertible, and swerving down the road to her favorite restaurant, Bonanzas, instead of checking her make-up in the mirror on her way to the park to jog. Terrible, isn’t it. (NOTE: The above story is true. The writer read it in a local newspaper, but had thrown it away, so could not get the actual details.)

And this has what to do with Wallace and Gromit, ‘A Grand Day Out’, and really all of the Wallace and Gromit stories? Everything. ‘A Grand Day Out’ in particular is soaked in cheese, figuratively of course. In fact, that is what it’s all about. The dynamic duo runs out of cheese, so they race to the moon to acquire some more. The lack of brand names present? The writers just had too many cheese corporations calling up. They, the writers, made an all time offer: to soak the movie in none other than cheese! The fans would therefore stalk the aisles picking up whatever they could grab. The sales would go up big time and no brand would be picked over!

Wonderful, isn’t it? To think you went all this time without knowing!

--------------
But, alas, many things threaten the popularity of cheese. One unchangeable aspect: it’s created out of mold. Ew, gross! Who likes to eat mold!

“Cheese doesn’t do well in a washer. Or in a dryer for that matter...” Christian Cowgirl says. I agree, CC. Although I’ve never put cheese in either machines, I can imagine fatal results.
“Sick! Sis, my shirt is all... burnt.”
“Yes, dear, I know. That’s from the stingy cheese on the pizza we ate last night, remember? I borrowed your shirt ‘cause all mine are in the wash. Guess it doesn’t to so good in the washing machine. I should try it in the dryer!”
“Oh, no you shouldn’t!”
“Hey, watch the nose!”

The Car
DanP740

I once had a car, I called it Matt,
It was a real good car, as good as a cat,
But then one day, it’s engine conked out,
I didn’t know what to do, I was ready to pout.
But then a nice buy pulled up and said, “I can fix it good as a pro.”
So he opened the hood, and I saw in a row,
six good looking soark plugs, but he said, “Those are burnt out and bad.”
He went to his car, and something that made him look mad.
He took that tool. and a spare plug,
He took the plug, and gave it a tug,
with that big shining tool,
and then he said, “I’m gettin’ hungry, so don’t make me drool.”
I thanked him for the help,
and he gave a yelp,
as he sped out into the sunset.
So I got in my car, glad who I had met.

This Week's Interview!

For the next three weeks we shall be interviewing the staff of the Odyssey Times so the readers shall get to know them a little better.

Image Dr Watson's Interview:

Where were you Born?

>>Hampton, Virginia. A Virginian all my life, I'm proud to say.

If you could invite three people for dinner, alive or dead, who would they be?

1) George Washington --An excellent, godly, courageous man who fought for our country. I would love to hear his first hand accounts of the battlefield, and what it was like to cross the Delware.

2) My grandmother. Sadly, she passed away of cancer before I was born. I would have loved to known her.

3) Sherlock Holmes. Hey, he's fictional, but I would still like to have him for dinner! A brilliant, logical man who would be fascinating to converse with.

What's your favorite color?

>>Blue. Royal blue, greyish-blue, sky blue...

Who would play you in a movie?

>>Dr. Watson, of course! Some movies portray him as bumbling, but I like the David Burke/Edward Hardwicke portrayal of the good doctor. It would be fun to play sidekick to the world's greatest detective.

What's your secret vice?

Staying up way too late posting on ToO. :-D

If you could be a car, which would it be?

>>A black limosuine. Impressive and sleek!

Name the oddest item in your wallet?

>>I wouldn't call it odd--but I do have a small card that says "God gives courage." I've had it for ages. My mom bought it for me when I was undergoing surgery at age 7. I've kept it all these years.

What's your favorite quote?

>>Hmm...I can't think of a favorite, but here's one that's meant a lot to me. "Courage is fear that has said its prayers."

What CD is in your CD player right now?

>>Mischa Maisky: Bach-3 Cello Sonatas, Vivaldi 2 Cello Concertos. Baroque music is great!

If you could have one thing in the world, what would it be?

>>Since I play Celtic music, I would love to have a 8-keyed Rose and Pratten wooden flute!!! How's that for originality? I currently play the conventional silver flute, but a wooden flute sounds so much more mysterious and moodier. Kind of--ahem--interesting, but then again, I am--ahem--interesting!

Odyssey Tattler vs. The Odyssey Times
Image Monday

I had not considered writing an article on the Odyssey Tattler until The Scribbler contacted me asking me that very question. At first I thought very much against it, but, the more I thought on it the more I thought it would be a good idea. Just to show you readers that we, at the Odyssey Times harbor nothing agianst the the Tattler Staff. We do think it's odd that all of the writers keep their identy a secret - but that's besides the point. The first adition of the Tattler showed much promise. And I am not the only person that things the same obviously. As far as I can see, the Tattler is a tabloid, we are a newspaper (without the paper).

Newspaper

n 1: a daily or weekly publication on folded sheets; contains news and articles and advertisements; "he read his newspaper at breakfast" [syn: paper] 2: a business firm that publishes newspapers; "Murdoch owns many newspapers" [syn: paper, newspaper publisher] 3: a newspaper as a physical object; "when it began to rain he covered his head with a newspaper" [syn: paper] 4: cheap paper made from wood pulp and used for printing newspapers; "they used bales of newspaper every day" [syn: newsprint]

The above is pretty much our mission and that is all. To bring news to the fair ToO. The Odyssey Tattler is in a very different leauge, so I don't think there should be any competition, and hopefully there is none. It is just like one contest comparison to another. Each of the contests are different fun and exciting! Neither take away from the other contest. Likewise, I am enjoying the Tattler just as much as you are.

Remember! The Odyssey Times really want your letters, we want to know what you have to say about most anything! Send them now!

The logo is courtesy of AIO PSYCHE.

Last edited by Manda on Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:29 am 
Half Pint
Half Pint
Happily married to Almanzo

Cash: 422.46
Bank: 80.45
Great issue everybody! =D> =D> =D>
I can't wait for the next!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:25 am 
I'm the Scribbler and you're not.

Cash: 145.82
Monday, I am appalled. How can you attack my paper so? We shall see who has the better issue number 2 in a few minutes.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:08 am 
Catspaw knows all

awesome issue guys... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:22 am 
Geniune Disney Cast Member
Hmmmm.

Cash: 142.06
Bank: 0.00
Good job guys! Nice work Monday! I like it! Keep em coming!

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:39 am 
I like Cookies
I like Cookies
is.

Bank: 360.03
Very good Monday!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:28 pm 
The Council must persist

Thank you everybody! And to my wonderful staff! =D>

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:29 pm 
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Old... but not obsolete.

Highscores: 1

Cash: 9,999,999,994,415,308.00
Bank: 5,584,680.26
Blog: View Blog (1)
I finally got to finish reading all of it... I've been at work all day so I've only gotten to read little bits at a time. But, anyway... glad to see the great work continuing! :)

I'm bored today so come ask me questions here as the topic suggests.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:44 pm 
I guess I'll stick around

Very good!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:59 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley

Thanks for delivering more TRUTH to the members of the toO. It's apreciated!! Nice Job \ \:D/ :cheerleader:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:08 pm 
I'm the Scribbler and you're not.

Cash: 145.82
dancer02248 wrote:
Thanks for delivering more TRUTH to the members of the toO. It's apreciated!! Nice Job \ \:D/ :cheerleader:

Are you implying something my dear dancer02248?

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:08 pm 
The Original EK
The Original EK

Cash: 28,902.77
Bank: 192.84
Blog: View Blog (5)
THE TATTLER IS COOL
thats what shes implying

Last edited by EK on Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:14 pm 
Geniune Disney Cast Member
Hmmmm.

Cash: 142.06
Man, I think EK has some harsh feelings towards the Tattler! :lol:

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:48 pm 
Waiting for the dreaded 6666

Cash: 0.01
Great issue! Even better than the first. Keep up the good work.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:01 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
Wonderful! Keep up the great work. =D>

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:01 am 
Former Mayor

Cash: 99,999,961.26
Blog: View Blog (1)
Good job monday! Keep them coming!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:04 am 
Amadeo killed me!

Cash: 6.50
Bmuntz wrote:
Keep them coming!

Just like pancakes! They're good, so keep em' coming! =P~

ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:47 pm 
Younger than you

I didn't read everything, but it was very good! Keep up the great work!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:32 am 
I spam the HH. A lot

Wonderful!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:15 am 
The Council must persist

Thank you everybody! And again, to my wonderful writers!

Offline Profile  

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next