Got Pancakes?

Cash: 27.86
Bank: 105.76
The Homeschooler's Union Newspaper
The one-and-only faction newspaper!

July, 2006 - NatetheGreat, Editor - Issue #2
Wanted: Friends, #2
By Karin Doyle, THUN Writer

Immediately, Kenny's stomach tied itself up in knots. The boy looked to be about his age, but the boy also looked...mean.[/i]
Kenny swallowed hard. Uh-oh, he thought. The first day of meeting this new homeschool group, and I have to meet a bully!
Beside Kenny, Cody waved at the mean looking boy. "That's Jimmy," he whispered to Kenny.
"Oh," Kenny said, thinking, Oh no! My cousin must be a bully, too!
"Come on!" Cody said. "I'll introduce you to him."
Kenny followed Cody on legs that felt like jello.
"Hey Jimmy!" Cody greeted the boy.
"Oh. Hi." Jimmy replied.
He even sounds sullen like a bully! Kenny thought.
"I'd like you to meet my cousin, Kenny." Cody said, not seeming to be phased by the boy's tone of voice.
"Hi Kenny," Jimmy said, holding out his hand.
"Hi," Kenny replied, quickly shaking Jimmy's hand with an anxious smile.
Within the next fifteen minutes, everyone else from the homeschool group had arrived, and Kenny had met all the guys: Robert, Tom, and Philip.
They entered the Cosmosphere (astronomy musuem in Hutchison, KS) for their tour. Kenny had a lot of fun looking at everything there was to see, but he found it very un-nerving to be close to Jimmy. And when it came time for lunch, Kenny found himself seated directly next to Jimmy.
"So," Jimmy said. "Cody told me that you just moved here from Greensburg."
"Uh... yeah," Kenny replied.
"Do you like it here?"
"I don't know," Kenny said.
"What's it like in Greensburg?" Jimmy asked.
He's trying to get background information on me so that he knows how to get to me! Kenny thought. "It's nice." he replied.

Kenny was relieved when it was finally time to go home.
"Did you enjoy yourself?" Mom asked on the way home.
"Yeah. The Cosmosphere is really nice."
"That's not what I meant, Kenny. And you know that." Mom said sternly, "Did you have fun with the other guys? And please be honest. You know better than to lie."
"Not really," Kenny said, his shoulders drooping.
"Ah, Laddie. Don't worry about it too much. You've only just met them. Maybe after a couple more field trips you'll be friends with them." Mom said.
Mom looked over at Kenny, and her eyes softened. "Things will get better, Laddie. I promise."
Kenny looked up at his mom, his eyes holding hurt. But looking at his mother's hope-filled eyes he felt much better.
"Your Aunt Kim introduced me to all the ladies. They seem to be very nice."
Kenny tried to smile, but didn't quite succeed.

A few days later, the phone rang. "I'll get it!" Kenny called out. "Hello?" he said, picking up the phone.
"Hi, uh, Kenny?"
"This is he."
"Hi. This is Jimmy."
Kenny's heart sunk all the way to his feet. Oh no!

Every election each team formulates a platform, chock-full of promises of goodies of all kinds and descriptions. And, for the most part, said platform is the main factor that decides who any one person votes for.

But, what happens after the results are posted, the excitement dies down, and the new Mayor/CoP settles down to their job? Is the platform forgotten, with all its shiny allurements? Are the votes entrusted to the new administration by the members at large to be let down? Are platforms just meaningless rhetoric put out to sway popular opinion?

And that is what I'm here to find out. Below is the Trank platform in its fullness, and what the Trank administration is doing - or not doing - to keep their promises.

Trent DeWhite wrote:
1. Professions

*clears throat and begins in a stoic Trent-like voice* Greetings. I'm here tonight to speak to the professional Town of Odyssey, to those of you who like the smell of cash flowing through your fingers, and that high paying job as the delta of your fountain. The Trank Campaign feels deeply towards your feelings and wishes, which is why we intend to equip those in the ToO work force with the following: an expanded variety of degrees (focusing on fields of study such as Biblical Counseling and Music), a new and broad range of professions (including those which would require the purchase of three or more degrees and an item or two) and a plethora of new items to fill your storehouses with. May your beards never thin and may your devotion to Odyssey never die... thank you for your time. :D

Well, my job is proof of this, and with the new pay rate system* up and running, Trank has done a splendid job in this area of their campaign platform.

Quote:
2. Events

Haha, yes! Chatroom events! Y'all love that beautiful little chatroom that our wonderful JEC set up for us, and now it's time to make it an active part of the ToO! We're all raring to go with the following three even proposals:

- Open forum discussions
These shall be scheduled, and moderated casual topic discussions! Topics shall include things like The Future of Odyssey, favorite brands of canned soup, the high inflation rates on the ToO, Top's bow or anything else we can think of! Dancing

- Prayer
It is our deepest wish that all the citizens of the ToO get to know one another and we believe that prayer for one another is one of the very best ways to do so. Prayer meetings have not only the benefits of live, personal chatting, but also the overwhelming peace that comes from knowing that God makes his presence known when believers come to Him in prayer. Very Happy *is blissfully happy at the thought*

- Game nights
Y'all know how fun all of our Odyssey 105 games are, wouldn't it triple the funness factor if they were live? Just think! Games of intellect and speed, trivia, scavenger hunts, bean bag grabs, and all with your bestest ToO friends! We plan to have games monthly, and would be just thrilled if you all would honor us by attending! \:D/

Well, “Open Forum Discussions” seem to have been forgotten, but with Prayer Meetings* and Game Nights* up and running, those of us lucky enough to be able to access the chatroom have not been disappointed.

Quote:
3. Ranks

What do you know! With Frank/Trent you also get a brand new set of titles! They'll be newer, more exciting and more bursting with joy than ever before! (like "wants to stone Me", "still loves Chandler", "periodically pokes J-man", "keeper of the Cat's Paw", or "loves tech-savvy ToO folk"... :D ) And, we intent to implement them within the first two weeks of our campaign! ;)

Yes, the new list of ranks* is indeed a wonder to behold. Too bad those of use who have enough posts to get one of the nice high ones seem to often have a custom title. :(

Quote:
4. Friends

May I reveal to you, my dearest ToO friends, one of our most ambitious plans of all: The New Town of Odyssey User Guide! *waits for the thunderous applause to die down* Yesh! We intend to put together a user guide that includes mini bios for the top 25 posters! Won't that be simply divine? I remember what it was like to be the "newbie" (Well, Frank was a newbie, Trent somehow skipped that phase and went straight to "Dignified Member". :D ) and coming to this new forum and being overwhelmed with all the hundreds upon hundreds of people to get to know! It's crazy! :insane: This guide is intended to lighten their load, and to bring a bit of joy to the old folks around the ToO. (We have quite a lot of old folks, now that I think of it. Yes *helps Catspaw into her wheelchair*)

*adjusts her glasses and lets Trent have the lectern*

*joins with the multitudes in waiting patiently for the Guide of Awesomeness promised to come very soon* \:D/

Quote:
5. Enterprises

Long have shop owners in Odyssey gone without perks. Sad Well, the time has come to reward the many business owners who have dedicated much time and energy into your respective shops. With dozens of stores currently running in Crestwood, we know how integral businesses are to the Town of Odyssey. Yes Wouldn't it be lovely to have shop items like the DanP740's smileys, Spiffy Box, Chandler's paintbrush, or hakeber's gavel? Of course it would! :D With the addition of "Crestwood Mall," we will make your wishes come true! \:D/

*joins, yet again, with the multitudes in waiting patiently for the Mall of Awesomeness promised to come very soon* \:D/

Quote:
Additionally, in conjunction with Eugene Kendall, formerly eon green, formerly Eon, Eon Spitfire.v2, formerly Granny Groupie, formerly Jared Walczak, formerly HatedByLovedByGod, and originally Eugene Kendall, we will be producing collector's edition admin and moderator dolls from the previous three terms! :D Individually hand-crafted by EK himself, these dolls measure 8 inches and are washable. Not suitable for children under the age of three... or Top. :-

Not yet, but hopefully soon! \:D/

Quote:
6. Contests

Who doesn't love a good contest? :D Our plan is to unveil new contests throughout each month. Who knows?! Maybe Trent will climb out of his shell and do a live radio contest! Not only will we incorporate fun and unique games to the board, but we will also hold contests to bring out undiscovered talent from within the Town of Odyssey. Creativity should never go unrewarded, so we plan to reward those who share some of their creative work with us! Prizes will be greater and entry fees will eliminated altogether!

With the recent Apples to Apples* contest, Trank has fulfilled this facet of their platform. And it’s rumored more is yet to come... \:D/

Quote:
Many of you have been witness to one or even both of the two previous AIO writing contests. I, Trent, know that a number of you were interested in participating, but were unable to join due to varying circumstances. Well, be happy and rejoice! This summer, I will be starting the AIO Writing Contest III. \:D/

You guessed it: *joins with the multitudes in waiting patiently for the Writing Contest of Awesomeness promised to come very soon* \:D/

Quote:
7. TAR: Season II

Finally, the biggest and bestest of them all!! Better than socks at Christmas, better than chocolate on Valentine's Day, and even better than EB's fro! Shock YES, people! It's back! More racing, higher stakes, and bigger suspense! An all-new season of The Amazing Race, the popular game of skill, determination, and some random luck, of course, in which even the best players may be eliminated. In this variation from the reality TV show, The Amazing Race, contestants will travel throughout the city of Odyssey in hopes of winning the grand prize of... um, a very large sum of ToO money. Shhh Bonus rewards will be also handed out throughout the race. :D If we are elected, Trent will launch TAR: Season II. Be prepared for a challenge and watch as the twists grow exponentially. \:D/

Dare I say it again? *joins with the multitudes in waiting patiently for the Race of Awesomeness promised to come very soon* \:D/

Well, ultimately, it’s up to you to decide whether any team has fulfilled their platform. But, this reporter thinks their doing a right good job, and... “The best is yet to come.”

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:44 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
NatetheGreat wrote:
*joins with the multitudes in waiting patiently for the Guide of Awesomeness promised to come very soon* \:D/

It's out... or you just haven't been paying attention. :noway: ;)

NatetheGreat wrote:
*joins, yet again, with the multitudes in waiting patiently for the Mall of Awesomeness promised to come very soon* \:D/

It wasn't announced publicly, but Crestwood Mall has been up since this morning. :D

Great newspaper, Nate! I appreciated what you had to say about Frank and I, although I do believe you'll have to introduce me to these multiudes of patient people. I haven't seen them around lately. :( Either that or I must be simply blind. \:D/

Just as one side note, I think it'd be cool if people didn't always make their assessments based solely upon whether or not teams follow their platform. Yes, that's definitely one important aspect of our job, but there's more to it than just fulfilling promises. I would hope that people would see us as individuals (yes, real human beings! :shock:) and consider our character, and not just what we have to offer you. :)

All in all, good job! =D>

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:55 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,388.13
Bank: 1,958.31
Wow, thanks for giving us more of your story, Karin! :D

Nate, nice analysis, though I also like what Trent had to say about looking at people, too. :)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:32 am 
Got Pancakes?

Cash: 27.86
Bank: 105.76
I only noticed the Mall and Guide after I had published my article... #-o :anxious:

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 4 posts ]