Sunday = Day Without Work?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Actually I'm glad you cleared that up. When I read your first post, I was thinking thinking that part of the reason there are not really any specifications in the NT was because Christ made it possible for us to worship on any day. Then I saw your next post and was like, hey he said what I was thinking...in a very roundabout sort of way. :D
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I think it's important for us to set aside a day to fixate our eyes on him, which many of us do on Sunday mornings and/or evenings. One cannot deny the importance of gathering together with other Christians. Even if it's not on Sundays, it's good to be a part of a body of other believers who are willing to support and pray for one another.

However, I also realize we it should not become a mere ritual to follow once a week. Ultimately, God desires us to seek Him everyday, not just on one day. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

For the most part, I agree with Jeremy.........I think

As I've stated before, we are not told we "have to" be at church on any given day. Just to assemble ourselves with other believers.......we aren't told this has to be on Sabbath (Saturday), Sunday, or any specific day.......as long as we do it.

I don't agree with the statement that we are "released" from the law of Moses.........if that is true none of us are now obligated to refrain from stealing, lying, murder, adultry, idolotry, etc..........and I doubt God would simply abolish one out of 10 commandments (laws).

God doesn't change Malachi 3:6 "I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed." NIV

OK, so the early Christian Church kept Sunday (which is a theory, not absolute fact) We are suppose to be Christ-like (the definintion of Christian).......Jesus kept the "Jewish" Sabbath but he didn't make it a legalistic list of rules that had to be obeyed. And he was half Gentile.

Jesus rose from the dead Sunday (well by all technicallity Saturday night) "Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn....." Matthew 28:1 (NKJV) By the Jewish time (which they were going by at the time this happened), "the end of the sabbath" and "as the first day of the week began to dawn" would have been at sunset on Saturday night...........is it at all possible that God the Son RESTED on the Sabbath in the grave after completing His work on earth, just as God the Father RESTED on Sabbath after completing His work (on the Earth, technically) at creation 4,000 years earlier?)

While the disciples (may have) gathered for worship on Sunday, there isn't one Biblical text to prove they rested on that day. (thus me tending to believe that a person can have a different day of rest than the day they go to church on........and another thing I've already said, a lot of times people participating in the church service work nearly as hard during the service as they do doing other tasks during the week.......not really "restful")

Anyway.........I'm not trying to tell ya'll that you "have to" rest on Saturday...........just giving reasons why I personally feel like I should do it............and why I can feel like Saturday is the Sabbath, but not attend a "Sabbath-keeping" church.

Again......I'll shut up now...........for the time being.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

gimp80995 wrote:I don't agree with the statement that we are "released" from the law of Moses.........
Then you don't agree with the Bible. ;-) I was only quoting Romans 7:6.

"But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code." (Romans 7:6 NIV.)

gimp80995 wrote:if that is true none of us are now obligated to refrain from stealing, lying, murder, adultry, idolotry, etc..........
Not at all. As I said, we are under the Law of Christ and are to obey His teachings and the teachings of His apostles. We have a whole New Testament (New Covenant) of instructions, which includes telling us not to steal, lie, murder, etc.
gimp80995 wrote:and I doubt God would simply abolish one out of 10 commandments (laws).
He abolished the entire Law of Moses. We are under a totally new Law--the Law of Messiah (1 Corinthians 9:20-21).
gimp80995 wrote:God doesn't change Malachi 3:6 "I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed." NIV
That doesn't mean that all of His laws are forever binding upon all people. You can't use that text unless you're gonna say that we have to keep Passover, Feast of Tabernacles, etc.
gimp80995 wrote:OK, so the early Christian Church kept Sunday (which is a theory, not absolute fact) We are suppose to be Christ-like (the definintion of Christian).......Jesus kept the "Jewish" Sabbath but he didn't make it a legalistic list of rules that had to be obeyed. And he was half Gentile.
He was half Gentile?

Jesus also kept Passover, circumcision, Feast of Tabernacles, etc. Are we supposed to "follow His example" in these things?

Jeremy
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Okay, now that I know what your'e trying to say, Jeremy...I feel really stupid now, about last night. Go figure. :roll:

Anyway. Right, we don't have to gather together on Sunday, we've just chosen too. We were on the same track, I just thought you were saying "Yes, always rest on the Sabbath." Now that I've gone through my commentaries a couple times, I see what you're saying, and agree. :)