Sunday = Day Without Work?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Sunday = Day Without Work?

Post by pianokitty »

my class at school has been having this discussion..and i was wondering what your opinion on the subject was.

so..we all know the bible says to not work on the sabbath..but does that still apply to today? and if it does, is it okay to do things like homework on sunday?
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

1) This should probably go in the Church Forum

2) While I don't have an exact answer, I would advise you to remember the stories of Jesus healing the lame man, the blind man, and the man with the paralyzed hand, among others, on the Sabbath. He also talked about how the Pharisees had made the Sabbath all about a bunch of rules, and not about following God. More to come later.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

Well, most of ya know that I use to be Seventh-day Adventist (still am due to some very stubborn people in charge at my old church who refuse to drop my membership when I asked)..........for the time being I'm classifing myself as "truely non-denominational" meaning I don't identify with any one denomination...........and won't until I've had plenty of time to go through the Bible and figure out what I believe and why I believe it without denomiational doctrine influencing what I "should be believing" So it's while I do generally have a regular church to attend where I live, I'll also frequently visit other denominations.

Anyway, even though I don't attend the SDA (Seventh-day Adventist) church anymore, and don't agree with some things (mainly the "prophet" of the church Ellen G. White), I do continue to take the seventh day of the week to rest........many of you know that when I did attend the SDA church I was involved with so many activites at church that the seventh day was hardly "restful" anyway............now I rest on Saturday and attend church on Sunday.

In my years of being in a Sabbath keeping church, I've noticed all kinds of different ways that people will use the day of rest.

One of the foster homes I was in was SDA..........while us kids didn't have chores on Friday night or Saturday because she wanted us to be resting, it was also a "fun" time..........she had no problem with us kids playing games with each other, playing video games, going to the mall even (her theory was we had to "keep Sabbath" while in her house........if we weren't in her house, it was our choice how we spent the day).

I've also seen people who attend church, but otherwise tend to act like it's any other day after church.

Then there are the people who scare me...........the people who I see making the same errors the Jews have made...........making the day of rest legalisitc..........a long list of Do's and Don'ts. Jews prohibit you from even turning a light switch on during Sabbath because that's "working"......also you can't brush your teeth (not with toothpaste anyway) because when the paste lathers, you have then worked and broken Sabbath and you can't take a shower or bath on Sabbath in the Jewish culture..........not a hot / warm one anyway because when you turn the hot water knob, you have boiled water, and therefore cooked :roll: I could go on and on...........but I won't.

Me personally..........well, as I said, even though I go to church on Sunday now, I continue to keep Saturday as a day of rest...........but to me that doesn't mean "no work". I'll go shopping, clean my room, go to work (I work in hospitals), bike ride, go swimming.

Now, if I were a cashier somewhere I probably wouldn't go to work......Jesus Himself said it is "lawful to do good on Sabbath". So, I think certian profession like police, fire fighters, doctors, nurses, etc., can work on Sabbath without any problems........but I think that other professions where you're not serving someone else's needs should be avoided.

Jesus also said to make the Sabbath a joy..........so I see no need for a long list of do's and dont's to control my activity...........take a break from the stressful things of the week, rest, and have fun...........those are about the strictest I get with how I keep my day of rest :) I am quite the liberal on the issue...........much to the dismay of a few SDA's I know. :shock: I'll even watch non-Christian shows on TV :shock:

I think working or not working or whatever on the Sabbath (or Sunday) is a personal choice..............if you think it's alright to do it, go for it. If you don't think it's a good idea, then maybe you shouldn't do it.........gets sticky though when you're in an situation where you are around people with different (stricter) views on it than you.

I know I can pick on Hawkeye since he isn't on the forum now, and he wouldn't mind even if he were........

Let say I think it's perfectly fine to sit down after church and watch TV shows that aren't Christian-based (not "bad" shows, just not Christian ones either)..........but in the middle of it, Hawkeye comes in the room and makes it known that he doesn't really think that's the best use of the day. Which one of us is right?

Both of us. In my mind, it's fine to watch TV, but in Hawkeye's it's not........but how do you resolve the conflict?

It would be my Christian responsiblity to turn the TV off and find something else to do........not because it's wrong to do it..........but because a Christian brother (or sister) was offended by my actions. I shouldn't go badmouthing hawkeye (or whoever else the case my be) for being so strict about how he spends his day, but I also should avoid activity that he feels is wrong when he's around since even though it's not wrong in my eyes, I have sinned if I continue to do it knowing that it's offending a Christian brother or sister.

OK, I'll shut up now ;)

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

i also don't ahve an exact answer. Many of the old testament ways have been abandonded. I probably shouldn't do work on Sunday's though, but i always save my homework till then. But if you said no work, then you really couldn't cook or do anything like that right?
i obviously don't know for sure, but i think that you should pray about it and see what God leads you to do.
Also i think that some religions follow th "not working on the Sabbath" rule a lot more than other religions do.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

The important thing to remember is that the Sabbath is "Saturday". Since the early Christian Church, the disciples established thr attending of Church on Sunday, since Sunday is the day Jesus ressurected.
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Yes, Sabbath is Saturday............I've had many Adventist friends tell me how I'm not "a true Adventist" upon finding out I go to church on Sunday (this was both before and after my decision to leave the SDA church).

1) NO! I'm not a "true Adeventist" since I'm not totally sure if I want to be SDA or not..........what's your point?

2) There is a commandment to keep the Sabbath "holy" and "not work" and "rest"...........I'll give any Jew or SDA 50$ to show me a biblical commandment to GO TO CHURCH on the Sabbath.........while our day of rest may be told to us, God never indicates what day of the week we "have to" go to church on. :idea:

Many Adventists made me feel like I was weird if I'd go to church on Sabbath, then turn around and visit a friend's church on Sunday........it's like "dude, what's it to you if I choose to spend Sunday in church worshiping God as well as on Saturday?"

Peace Out

-Gimp

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Plus, I belive there is no condemnation for working on Saturday. Jesus himself spoke againts the pious Pharisees who flipped out if people did anything on the Sabbath. I believe, principally keeping the Sabbath is merely making sure you take time to spend time with God and commune with him.
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

Exactly, though I think working on Sunday is bad for your health *sighs and goes out to mow the yard*
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

StupendousMan wrote:Exactly, though I think working on Sunday is bad for your health *sighs and goes out to mow the yard*
From that sigh, I take it your folks didn't buy the "bad for your healt" bit :)

I think we should rest on Sabbath.............but at the same time stressing over a list of "don't do ______'s" is really more stressful than the week you're suppose to be resting from..........Saturday is generally my day to lay back and relax, though I will go to work if I'm on call at the hospital........and I will do things around the house like cooking, cleaning etc..........I don't think the commandment to rest gives us the liberty to be lazy.

Peace Out

-Gimp

Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Well, I don't believe so, not anymore. Partly because we don't have the Sabbath, we go to church Sundays. (Most people anyway.) But I also think it applies to working at your job on Sunday. If you're just working around the house, that's fine. But Sunday is the Lord's Day, when you worship him, therefore, we shouldn't "go to work" on Sundays. Most people follow that, (unless they work at a fast food place, store, etc.)

I could elaborate, but that would involve work to look stuff up. ;)
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I don't think it's wrong to work on sunday, but to me sunday is a day of rest from work, so why would I want to work when I'm resting?
...I hate marquees.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

I would love to make some points here, but I don't want to offend anyone. So, this is not a personal attack on anyone--just an observation that I've had (and not just on this forum!). It seems that when people talk about this issue, there is usually twisting of Scripture, unfortunately. Part of this is probably due to the Saturday/Sunday issue. So just let me make a few points.

1. If we are commanded to rest on the seventh day, why don't you rest on the seventh day? If this command of God's is in effect, then why don't you do exactly what God says to do and rest from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday? Can you give a valid reason for disobeying God's command while claiming it is in effect for Christians?

2. The Bible nowhere says that a person must rest, worship, or do anything special on Sundays! The Early Church started gathering together on Sundays to celebrate the Lord's Resurrection, and it was referred to as the Lord's Day. That's great. That's wonderful. But where does the Bible make it a holy day or a day of rest or a mandatory corporate worship day? The answer: NOWHERE! ;-)

3. If the Sabbath is in effect for Christians because the Law says to "keep the Sabbath/seventh day"--then people should take it seriously and do everything the Law says--no cooking, no traveling, no carrying any burdens, no lighting of any fires, and no buying or selling, from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. How can you "halfway" keep God's command?

So, if any of you believe that the 4th commandment of the Ten Commandments is in effect for Christians....why aren't you keeping it, and keeping it the way the Bible says to?

Again, I don't want to offend anyone--please let me know the reasons for why you believe what you believe. :)

Jeremy
Linne

Post by Linne »

Number 1: Most people do "rest" on Friday nights and Saturdays. Friday ngiht is when a lot of familys go out and do something together, but not working.

Number 2: Sunday is the day when we "gather the assembly together", as are Wednesdays for a lot of people. Even atheists know that Sunday is the designated "Christian" day, I'm sure.

Number 3: Um....so we're supposed to stay in bed all? It's work just to climb out of bed,(top bunk) open my dresser (cuz it's broken) get dressed, walk out, (trying to get around everything in my room), etc. Not to mention...are we to fast all day too? Cuz it would be work to make food. Unless we let it sit out all night so all we have to do is pick it up.

But if the Jews in Israel consider just pressing an elevator button work, couldn't we consider everything to be work? Resting, in my opinion, doesn't mean cutting everything that involves movement, just don't go out and, (like I stated eariler) be working your day job.

And about the 4th commandment: That was God's command to the Jews, Hid chosen people. While we are His chosen people, we gather together on Sundays, and we do keep it holy. (At least, I hope we do.)

Jeremy, you make some really good points, you've always amazed me with your posts here and on the TH!
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Bearliz wrote:Number 2: Sunday is the day when we "gather the assembly together", as are Wednesdays for a lot of people. Even atheists know that Sunday is the designated "Christian" day, I'm sure.
But where does the Bible make this mandatory? I can't find a single verse, can you?
Bearliz wrote:Number 3: Um....so we're supposed to stay in bed all? It's work just to climb out of bed,(top bunk) open my dresser (cuz it's broken) get dressed, walk out, (trying to get around everything in my room), etc. Not to mention...are we to fast all day too?
No. No. No.

We are to rejoice that "we have been released from the Law" (Romans 7:6) and don't have to keep a day! :D
Bearliz wrote:Resting, in my opinion, doesn't mean cutting everything that involves movement, just don't go out and, (like I stated eariler) be working your day job.
Well, my point was that if we were supposed to keep the Sabbath, then we should keep it the way the Bible says to. Which, as I said before, includes no cooking, no lighting of fires, no carrying any burdens, no traveling, and no buying or selling.
Bearliz wrote:And about the 4th commandment: That was God's command to the Jews, Hid chosen people.
I agree. The Ten Commandments, and the entire Law of Moses, was given to the Jews only. And the Law of Moses is no longer in effect (Galatians 3 says it was added at Moses' time to be in effect until the Seed (Christ) should come), and as I said above we have been released from the Law of Moses. (Rom. 7:6) We are now to obey the Law of Messiah (Christ).
Bearliz wrote:While we are His chosen people, we gather together on Sundays, and we do keep it holy. (At least, I hope we do.)
No, I don't keep it holy. (At least not any holier than any other day--every day should be "holy" when we are Christians--all time is "sacred" time!)

Where is the Bible reference for having to keep Sunday "holy"? I just don't see it. And how do you know "how" to keep Sunday "holy" if the Bible gives us no guidance on the issue?

The Bible says that the Sabbath was merely a shadow (as were many other things in the OT Law) of Messiah, and that it has been fulfilled in Christ.

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ." (Colossians 2:16-17 NIV.)

Jesus is the Reality (or Substance) of these shadows. Our Sabbath rest is now found in a Person, not a day. We can now have rest "today" and everyday in Christ (Hebrews 4). And we are now permitted to regard every day alike (Romans 14:5-6). :)

Jeremy
Linne

Post by Linne »

Jeremy wrote:
Bearliz wrote:Number 2: Sunday is the day when we "gather the assembly together", as are Wednesdays for a lot of people. Even atheists know that Sunday is the designated "Christian" day, I'm sure.
But where does the Bible make this mandatory? I can't find a single verse, can you?
Hebrews 10:25 - Not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting each other: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Jeremy wrote:
Bearliz wrote:Resting, in my opinion, doesn't mean cutting everything that involves movement, just don't go out and, (like I stated eariler) be working your day job.
Well, my point was that if we were supposed to keep the Sabbath, then we should keep it the way the Bible says to. Which as I said before, that includes no cooking, no lighting of fires, no carrying any burdens, no traveling, and no buying or selling.
Okay, I can see where you're coming from. I still don't see how we're supposed to eat if there's no be no cooking. And no traveling? What if we go to church on Saturdays? (Or Sundays, if we move it to then.)
Jeremy wrote:
Bearliz wrote:While we are His chosen people, we gather together on Sundays, and we do keep it holy. (At least, I hope we do.)
Where is the Bible reference for this? I just don't see it. And how do you know "how" to keep Sunday "holy" if the Bible gives us no guidance on the issue?
I go back to Hebrews 10:25. Christians are supposed to fellowship together. The Bible doesn't give any other instructions for the 4th commandment, I would think we would do the same as we would for keeping the Sabbath holy.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

It looks like I was editing my post as you were writing yours. So if you want to reply to what I added to my above post, feel free to. In the meantime I'll reply to your post.
Bearliz wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Hebrews 10:25 - Not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting each other: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
That does not say that we have to do it on Sunday.
Bearliz wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Well, my point was that if we were supposed to keep the Sabbath, then we should keep it the way the Bible says to. Which as I said before, that includes no cooking, no lighting of fires, no carrying any burdens, no traveling, and no buying or selling.
Okay, I can see where you're coming from. I still don't see how we're supposed to eat if there's no be no cooking. And no traveling? What if we go to church on Saturdays? (Or Sundays, if we move it to then.)
You prepare food the day before like the Jews do. Like I said, if we are supposed to keep Sabbath, we should do it how the Bible says to.
Bearliz wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Where is the Bible reference for this? I just don't see it. And how do you know "how" to keep Sunday "holy" if the Bible gives us no guidance on the issue?
I go back to Hebrews 10:25. Christians are supposed to fellowship together.
But it doesn't say it has to be on Sunday or any certain day of the week!
Bearliz wrote:The Bible doesn't give any other instructions for the 4th commandment, I would think we would do the same as we would for keeping the Sabbath holy.
Which means all of the above rules.

Jeremy
Linne

Post by Linne »

I see. I don't have time to reply tonight, but I'll think on it tonight and hopefully have a reply tomorrow.

And it finally hit me that you were saying we don't have to worhsip just on Sunday...yeah...wish I'd seen that before, maybe I wouldn't have made a fool of myself.

:) I'm a 14 yr old, so I'll try and answer to the best of me ability!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I'm beginning to think that this is geting a bit to legalistic. Maybe this is one of those issues that is that way. i'm still trying to figure a lot of this stuff out for myself. Sure I know what people have told me, but I'm trying to seperate out doctrine from what God is telling me personally be it through scriptues or just Him speaking to me. Sometimes I think, especially in case like this, that we as believers get so wrapped up in following the letter of the law, like the pharisees, and forget what it's all about Worshipping God.

I don't believe it is right to say that someone is sinning just because they observe the Sabbath in a different way than I do, unless it is something that is immoral etc. I tend to agree with gimp on this though. If you are causing another believer to stumble, then that is where the sin comes in. I believe that some people will have convictions that are stricter or looser than mine. That is ok, it is what the Holy Spirit is telling you to do. (I hope this isn't sounding like I'm saying hey you do yuor thing, I'll do mine type of thing)
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Bearliz wrote:I see. I don't have time to reply tonight, but I'll think on it tonight and hopefully have a reply tomorrow.

And it finally hit me that you were saying we don't have to worhsip just on Sunday...yeah...wish I'd seen that before, maybe I wouldn't have made a fool of myself.

:) I'm a 14 yr old, so I'll try and answer to the best of me ability!
That's ok. Now I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, hehe. :) What I was saying was that it's even ok if we don't assemble together on Sunday, since the New Testament never says "you have to assemble on that certain day." :)

Jeremy
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

JesusFreak777 wrote:I'm beginning to think that this is geting a bit to legalistic.
I hope people aren't misunderstanding me. I thought maybe I should be making myself clearer. :)

I am not advocating legalism--quite the opposite. My whole point is that we aren't under the Law and we don't have to keep any day "holy" or as a "rest day." In other words, we can "regard EVERY day alike" (Romans 14:5-6). :)

Jeremy
Last edited by Jeremy on Sun May 22, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.