Re: Things God Hates

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Things God Hates

Post by snubs »

Today the pastor was talking about the six things God Hates. He was preaching for Proverbs 6:16-19 which says-

“These six things the LORD hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil, A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren.”

It was very interesting. I mean, normally the sermons are (honestly) kinda boring. But this one actually held my attention.

I am going to skip over to the last one which is “one who sows discord among brethren.” The pastor said this one has to do with gossip. I have always had trouble know what is really considered gossip -and I still kinda don’t know- but the pastor made it clearer when he said- “If the information does not pertain to the person you’re telling it to, then it is gossip and you should not be telling that person.

The pastor told a story of the woman who saw her pastor get in the car with another woman. And instead of going to the wife of the pastor, or even the pastor himself. She told on of the church members. And before you knew it, the whole church thought the pastor was with another woman. Anyway, in the end, this “other woman” was really the pastor’s sister!

After all that, the pastor of the church talked to her privately about it. He didn’t really say much to her, but gave her a sack of feathers and told her to go outside and throw them in the wind. Amazingly, she did. The next day, the pastor caught up with her again, and told her to go collect all the feathers she threw outside. Of course she said “Well, I can’t. I mean, I might be able to get a few -but they’re gone..” Then, the pastor looked at her and said “See? That is exactly what gossip is.”

I thought that was an amazing illustration of gossip! Once, you spread it, it is virtually impossible to contain it.

^That was part of what I posted in my blog today, and I just had to share it with you all. :)^ (You can read the full post here >> http://rosewilyn.wordpress.com/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

That's an AWESOME illustration. I'll have to keep it in mind...

Note: Odd double posts by both of us removed. -AE
Last edited by American Eagle on Sun May 30, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I really like the feathers analogy! Good points, snubs.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Termite wrote:That's an AWESOME illustration. I'll have to keep it in mind...

AE removed the double post? o_O
That's an awesome illustration, snubs! Really good! \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Marvin D. wrote:
Termite wrote:That's an AWESOME illustration. I'll have to keep it in mind...

AE removed the double post? o_O
(whispering in church) Yeah, I'm a Second Church moderator. This thread is really weird. Termite and I both posted at about the same time, and somehow it made us both double post. Somehow is also made Termite's post the main post of this thread or something. Odd. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I know, I think I'll always remember that story.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

i love the story of the feathers.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
orangie
OK