PHC and PYC

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.

Have you gone to PYC or PHC?

I attended PYC, PHC, and go to a Pilgrim Holiness Church.
20%
I attended PYC and PHC but I do not go to a Pilgrim Church.
No votes
I only attended PYC.
No votes
I have heard of it but never attended any of this options.
10%
I have never heard of it.
60%
Other (please state below)
10%

Total votes: 10

Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

PHC and PYC

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

How many of you have gone to PYC or PHC? Have you even heard of it?

It stands for Pilgrim Youth Camp and Pilgrim Holiness Camp or Church.

I know Odysseyfan1 goes to PYC because I met him and supposedly Peachy Keen is supposed to join or has joined PHC.

Please move if this is in the wrong place!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Because this has to do with church affiliation, it has been moved to Second Church of Odyssey.

In regards to the topic, I actually haven't heard of PHC or PYC. That's what I voted in the poll, as well.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

They don't believe in doctors or medication. :(
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

The Top Crusader wrote:They don't believe in doctors or medication. :(
We most certainly do! We have almost all modern convenience except TV. We don't believe in things like smoking, drinking and etc. The women are supposed to not cut their hair, wear skirts, and no makeup that kind of things.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

The official website said that members don't belive in doctors, etc, but that the don't hold it against other people who do. But maybe even individual church's have different stances? \:D/

Could you explain why all modern conveniences except TV are okay, as well as why women must wear skirts? I'm just curious because I just spent the weekend in Amish country, but none of them are online to ask questions to. :( So you're the next best thing! \:D/
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:We most certainly do! We have almost all modern convenience except TV. We don't believe in things like smoking, drinking and etc. The women are supposed to not cut their hair, wear skirts, and no makeup that kind of things.
Smoking's wrong, morally? Interesting.

I also would like to know why all the more legalistic sects out there have a million and one rules regarding women, but seemingly none (or very few) that apply to men alone? And that question was more me musing than asking you directly, SWA.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

For what it's worth, my female family members wear skirts. Not because they believe it would be inherently sinful for them to not wear them, but because it (generally) is less revealing. I don't know if this is SWA's reasoning, though.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Less revealing than, say, baggy jeans? :-k Unless jeans are painted on, there's nothing less revealing than them. Skirts are horrible- from a practicality standpoint AND from a 'revealing' standpoint. Ever heard of the 'shoe cameras' men have used to take pictures UP skirts? \:D/

Shoe cameras used to film up skirts and dresses.

That's the tamest article regarding them that I could find. One exceedingly convincing page actually demonstrated the type of images the camera produced. Yay skirts!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

So yeah, like, we should base our opinion on what 10 pathetically wicked and useless people do with their time? I guess I wont ever buy Adventures in Odyssey CDs again because some people may take them and record bad music onto it. :( (Way different situations, but same principle.)

There is a simple solution to the problem: wear leggings UNDERNEATH the skirt. Problem solved. \:D/

As for practicality, I can't really make any case against you. There probably are things that can/shouldn't be done in skirts, so I'll let that go. However, in most cases (like going to church, hanging out with friends, etc.) there's nothing that would prevent one from wearing a skirt. I have girl friends who modestly play sports, bike rides, etc. in skirts. ;)

Heh, be a guy for a day, and then say (even "baggy") pants on a woman aren't eye-catching

EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

There's no case to make against people wearing skirts, that's their decision and personal convictions.

But I will say that I don't see girls in a skirt or jeans any different. :anxious: They're not necessarily eye-catching to me...either one. I've seen skirts and jeans that can be seen as immodest, even long ones because they're so form fitting. ;)

But I suppose it really depends on the acceptance of the culture and to some extent mental perversion on how much you're trying to scope out the girls who wear pants or shorts or whatnot. If you were raised around girls with skirts and such, of course someone in pants will be "eye-catching" but it isn't necessarily for lustful reasons either. :P
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I have only heard about PHC and PYC.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Hmm, I do agree, Batman.

We (and I'm using that term loosely) don't wear pants largely because we want to avoid being form-fitting. Why not "baggy" jeans? As Tyler said, it mostly has to do with culture. Many of the people we are friends with are homeschooled/conservative families, and they've been raised to avoid pants. Baggy pants vs. skirts is indeed a personal conviction, but in my experience, so-called "loose" jeans are scarce thesedays. ;)

ique
Found

Post by ique »

what i'm getting from this, is that the reason girls should wear skirts is more for the sake of men, rather than the sake of the girl. it doesn't make sense that a skirt would be more modest, but let's suppose it is - in which case, even if wearing one keeps men from being lustful somehow, skirts are a lot less secure. the wind blows and you're suddenly almost naked. they can be lifted easily and they definitely have less coverage.
leggings under the skirt definitely works, though. it's definitely not as efficient as trousers, but it's what i wear and i manage. except i wear skirts and leggings due to preference, not so much modesty.. trousers look awful on me. lol >.>

but that aside.
what kind of shirts are supposed to be worn? like what's the acceptable level of shape to a shirt before it's too form-fitting?
Last edited by ique on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

The Top Crusader wrote:The official website said that members don't belive in doctors, etc, but that the don't hold it against other people who do. But maybe even individual church's have different stances? \:D/

Could you explain why all modern conveniences except TV are okay, as well as why women must wear skirts? I'm just curious because I just spent the weekend in Amish country, but none of them are online to ask questions to. :( So you're the next best thing! \:D/
What website? Not all modern conveniences except TV but most. There is not anything wrong with a TV it's what you watch on it the same for a computer it's what you view. The skirt thing it is to be more modest but you always have people who step around it and things. The skirt is well below the knees. Also women are not to wear jewelry or cut their hair. I get called Amish at school all the time because I go to public school. Most in the this denomination don't like there kids going to public school.

Also, The Top Crusader you can ask me a few questions about the Amish whereas I have direct descendants that were Amish.
Iron and Light wrote:Smoking's wrong, morally? Interesting.

I also would like to know why all the more legalistic sects out there have a million and one rules regarding women, but seemingly none (or very few) that apply to men alone? And that question was more me musing than asking you directly, SWA.
Actually men do have restrictions, like no shorts or short sleeves. There is stricter and not as strict churches in the denomination.
Sapphire wrote: I have only heard about PHC and PYC.
Really, how?

Let me say this one thing. I'm not saying any of these things are wrong for you or anybody but it sure doesn't hurt them. Ask more questions!

Also for those of you that are on the Debate Society you can see why I take the views I do.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Yay for really late replies!

Wow, SWA... no shorts or short sleeves? That's so harsh :<. Especially considering the fact that all women must abide by those rules as well. . . However do you men live?

On a side note, do you realize that, in Bible times, both men and women wore tunics... which are practically dresses? Furthermore, to be quite frank, a simply study of human anatomy would make me think that men, not women, should be forced to wear dresses instead of pants. Let's be honest here- when women wear tight pants, it shows nothing. When men wear tight pants.... well I won't be crude- BUT they have something that could show in the form of an unsightly bulge.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Iron and Light wrote:Let's be honest here- when women wear tight pants, it shows nothing.
HAH. No of course not dear, nothing at all. :anxious:

Anywho, perhaps a move to CCDS or Finneman's would be good for this topic, no arguing in the church! :x
ique
Found

Post by ique »

lol lena.
that's all i have to say.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

*wears pants in topic*

My wife owns no other skirt/dress other than her wedding dress, as an aside.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Yeah, pants for women are made for women, there's definitely a gender line there... >_> You don't normally see guys wearing girl pants...except in the case of Xiao.